Jeep Patriot Interior
Although reviewers say that the 2013 Jeep Patriot provides spacious front seats and clear, legible gauges, the bulk of test drivers are disappointed by the Patriot’s cheap interior materials. The Patriot also has less cargo space than many SUVs in the class, and its back seat gets dinged by one reviewer, who says that there’s minimal legroom in the second row. If you’re looking for a compact SUV with a spacious back seat and ample cargo room, consider rivals like the Subaru Forester and Honda CR-V.
- "Hard plastic surfaces aren't the most inviting but they are easy to clean, which is one benefit of the Patriot's utilitarian cabin." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Patriot's cabin is generally in keeping with its rugged demeanor. While the door and console armrests have padding, most everything else is rather cheap-looking, monotone plastic." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "On closer examination, however, the extensive use of easy-to-clean but hard plastics in the off-road style keep the interior from feeling comfortable. Almost every compact crossover is nicer." -- Edmunds (2012)
Reviewers say that the Patriot has fairly comfortable front seats with good head- and legroom, though one test driver also notes that passenger space in the back seat is in short supply. The 2013 Patriot seats five and comes with cloth upholstery. Heated front seats, leather-trimmed seats, a power-adjustable driver’s seat and a 60/40-split reclining back seat are available on higher trims.
- "Ample headroom. High-mounted seats contribute to generous legroom. Visibility is good all around." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The front seats are comfortable enough, but rear seat legroom is tight in the outboard seats and virtually nonexistent in the center position." -- Edmunds (2012)
The base Jeep Patriot has fewer standard features than most affordable compact SUVs. A four-speaker stereo with an auxiliary input jack comes standard. Options and features available on higher trims include air conditioning, power windows, keyless entry, a Boston Acoustics stereo, navigation and Bluetooth.
Auto writers appreciate the Patriot’s clear, legible gauges and unique features, such as the optional stereo speakers that flip down from the liftgate. However, one reviewer notes that the navigation system can make the stereo more difficult to use, and that some switchgear, such as the Patriot’s steering-wheel mounted audio controls, aren’t well-placed.
- "Still, there are some nice techy features to enjoy … and a couple of truly clever ideas, such as the cargo-area lamp that pops out to become a rechargeable LED flashlight and the speakers that flip down from the raised liftgate to energize those tailgate parties." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Some auxiliary functions, especially the steering-wheel audio controls, are oddly placed. The available navigation system absorbs audio functions, making some simple adjustments a multi-step process." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "Large, easy-to-read gauges and user-friendly controls reinforce the Jeep's off-road heritage." -- Edmunds (2012)
The 2013 Patriot has 23 cubic feet of room behind the back seat and 53.5 cubic feet of space with the rear row folded. That’s more space than you’ll find in rivals like the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, but crossovers like the Honda CR-V and Chevrolet Equinox offer significantly more cargo space. One reviewer notes that the Patriot’s small cargo hold makes it less utilitarian than some rivals. However, another writes that the Patriot’s low liftover height makes it easy to load bulky items.
- "Which brings us to the Patriot's undersize cargo hold, the interior's notable weakness. … it's significantly smaller than those in crossover competitors like the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "The rear hatch opens low over the bumper for easy loading, and additional storage can be had in the form of an available cargo carrier that attaches to the roof rack." -- Kelley Blue Book (2011)
Next Steps: Jeep Patriot
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Jeep Patriot
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Jeep Patriot for sale (2,782 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Jeep Patriot
- See what others paid for the 2013 Jeep Patriot
- View Jeep Patriot Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings