Jeep Wrangler Review
The 2013 Jeep Wrangler ranks 15 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 85 published reviews and test drives of the Jeep Wrangler, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Jeep Wrangler is ranked:
A V6 engine comes standard across the Wrangler lineup, and whether you’re tackling rush hour or the Rubicon trail, reviewers say the Wrangler offers plenty of power for the task at hand. The two-door Wrangler gets an EPA-estimated 17/21 mpg city/highway, which is low in comparison with most compact SUVs. Additionally, the Wrangler's safety and reliability scores are slightly low for the class. While the 2013 Wrangler’s suspension system excels off pavement, reviewers note that its rugged, purpose-built design means that you shouldn’t expect a car-like ride. However, if you’re willing to sacrifice a car-like ride, test drivers generally maintain that the Wrangler is still fun to drive.
Whether you choose a soft top or a hardtop model, auto writers agree that the Jeep Wrangler has a no-frills interior that’s basic and functional. Features that are commonly found on rival SUVs, such as air conditioning or power windows and door locks, are optional on the base Wrangler. However, the Wrangler has become more refined in recent years, with options like heated front seats, leather and a navigation system all making their way onto the options list. Reviewers generally say that there’s good visibility and plenty of headroom in the front seats, though the two-door Wrangler has less back-seat and cargo space than the four-door Wrangler Unlimited.
- "Despite major improvements to its interior over the years, this Jeep remains a limited-purpose machine. Off road, it's a finely honed tool. On road, it's best considered a fun-in-the-sun runabout." -- Consumer Guide
- "Although it is larger and safer than past models wearing the CJ and Wrangler nameplate, the 2013 Jeep Wrangler is still true to its heritage as America's best-loved off-road escape artist." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The looks, the drive character, the price -- they all strike the right chord for Jeep faithful. Plus, rocks will tremble when they see you coming." -- AutoWeek (2012)
- "The new Wrangler stays true to the model's roots, but now it's a lot more fun to drive on-road." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "And as good as it is on the road, Jeep made sure the Wrangler remains the most capable off-road vehicle you can buy." -- Popular Mechanics (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Xterra doesn’t offer a convertible top like the Wrangler, but the Xterra’s powerful V6 engine and available four-wheel drive system make it nearly as capable off-road. The Xterra also offers a spacious back seat and more cargo space with all seats in use.
Like the Wrangler, the Toyota FJ Cruiser excels off-road, but some critics note that it has a better ride on pavement. The FJ also trumps the Wrangler with better safety and reliability scores, which may appeal to shoppers who are looking for a more practical off-road SUV. However, if you’re considering the four-door Wrangler Unlimited, the FJ Cruiser’s small rear doors make its back seat more difficult to access.
Details: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
The two-door 2013 Jeep Wrangler and four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited seat four and five people, respectively. A 3.6-liter V6 engine, six-speed manual transmission and four-wheel drive come standard on all models. A five-speed automatic transmission is optional. A number of trims are available, ranging from the base Wrangler Sport to the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. For 2013, all Wrangler models get new front and rear seats with larger side bolsters, as well as a standard auto-dimming rearview mirror. A new premium soft top is available to help reduce wind noise, and the Wrangler Unlimited also gets a new soft top design, which Jeep says is easier to raise and lower. Since the Wrangler hasn’t changed too much since last year, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013 models.
Next Steps: Jeep Wrangler
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Jeep Wrangler
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Jeep Wrangler for sale (8,938 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Jeep Wrangler
- See what others paid for the 2013 Jeep Wrangler
- View Jeep Wrangler Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings