Kia Optima Review
The 2015 Kia Optima ranks 12 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Optima, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers recommend exploring the 2015 Kia Optima's rivals before buying, but they appreciate the Optima's high-end features and energetic engines.
A four-cylinder engine comes in the 2015 Kia Optima, but higher trims are equipped with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Reviewers say both engines provide sufficient power. They especially appreciate the nominal turbo lag and additional punch the turbocharged engine delivers. All Optima motors are mated to an automatic transmission that critics say maximizes available power. The base 2015 Optima gets an EPA-estimated 23/34 mpg city/highway, which is a little low for the class. Most test drivers think the Optima is capable on a winding road, and they like that it delivers a comfortable ride. Some reviewers think the Optima has numb steering, while others think it’s well-weighted.
Test drivers say the 2015 Kia Optima's sloping roofline reduces back-seat headroom, but they praise the car's ample legroom and trunk space. They also tout the Optima's refined materials, attractive interior and numerous high-end features such as a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. Reviewers appreciate the user-friendly touch screen that makes the audio and navigation systems easy to use. The 2015 Kia Optima comes standard with Bluetooth, satellite radio, USB and auxiliary inputs and a cooling glove box. Available features include power-folding mirrors, a panoramic sunroof, an Infinity surround-sound audio system, HD Radio, navigation, leather seats, heated front seats, a cooled driver seat, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert, Kia’s UVO touch-screen infotainment system, push-button start, proximity key and dual-zone automatic climate control.
- "The 2015 Kia Optima has evocative styling and an impressive set of features, but there are several other exceptional midsize sedans available that are also worth a look." -- Edmunds
- "Along with a shapely form, the Optima also offers class-leading power and a long list of standard features, meaning it deserves consideration from utilitarians in addition to aesthetes." -- Left Lane News
- "If you're from the school of thought that says family sedans equal boring rides, then you need to take a spin in the 2015 Kia Optima. The Optima's seductive styling makes this reasonably priced 4-door look more like a $50,000 sport sedan. Where most midsize sedans follow a rather conservative path, the Optima ventures toward the exotic." -- AutoTrader
- "With the Optima, Kia strives to provide high-end features and an engaging driving experience at bargain prices, and it mostly succeeds." -- Consumer Guide
- “Whether you seek the most basic LX or the top-of-the-line SX Limited, the Optima always delivers more than what its asking price suggests." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
Other Cars to Consider
The Subaru Legacy is fully redesigned for 2015 and comes standard with all-wheel drive, which isn’t offered on the Optima. The Legacy gets better fuel economy than the Optima and test drivers praise its nimble handling, sharp steering and powerful brakes.
Critics like the Mazda Mazda6’s high-end cabin materials and ample rear-seat headroom. The Mazda6 is also considered one of the most athletic handlers in the class, and it gets great fuel economy for a midsize car.
Details: 2015 Kia Optima
The five-seat, front-wheel drive Kia Optima comes in five trims: LX, EX, SX, SX Turbo and SXL Turbo. The Kia Optima Hybrid is reviewed separately. LX, EX and SX models have a four-cylinder engine, while SX Turbo and SXL Turbo models have a turbocharged four. All models have a six-speed automatic transmission. The Kia Optima was last fully redesigned for the 2011 model year and has seen only minor changes since, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.