Kia Rio Review
The 2015 Kia Rio ranks 2 out of 17 Affordable Subcompact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Rio, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Kia Rio is ranked:
The 2015 Kia Rio features a lively engine and a solid warranty, as well as a quality cabin in its higher trims, reviewers say, but some think it offers a stiff ride.
The 2015 Kia Rio comes standard with a four-cylinder engine that is peppy for a subcompact car, according to reviewers. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is available. The Rio's fuel economy is good for the class at an EPA-estimated 27/37 mpg city/highway with either transmission. Reviewers write that the Rio SX has the sportiest handling in the model lineup, though rivals like the Ford Fiesta are a bit more agile. They also report that the SX model has a harsh ride and recommend getting a Rio LX or EX if you want a more comfortable driving experience.
Critics find the 2015 Rio’s standard interior a bit boring. Upper trims offer more convenience features and better quality materials, reviewers say. Some test drivers say the rear seat is sufficiently spacious for the class, but others feel it's cramped. The Rio is available as a sedan or hatchback, and the Rio hatchback’s cargo area is quite large for the class with the rear seats folded. The 2015 Kia Rio comes standard with satellite radio and a USB port. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, a sunroof, cruise control, power windows and door locks, keyless entry, push-button start, navigation, a rearview camera, Bluetooth and Kia’s UVO infotainment system. According to test drivers, the Rio’s audio and climate controls are easy to use, as are its available infotainment and navigation systems.
- "If you're looking for a small and inexpensive sedan or hatchback that is efficient, practical and offers long-term peace of mind thanks to a stellar warranty, put the Rio on your shopping list." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Kia Rio is a solid pick for a small sedan or hatchback. It's not quite as refined as some class-leading rivals, but it might still win you over with its inviting cabin, strong engine performance and excellent value." -- Edmunds
- "Where most subcompacts look like bargain-basement rental cars, the Rio and Rio5 show off a bold and sporty appearance. And they are loaded with standard and available features, offer horsepower and fuel economy near the top of their class, and come with a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty at no charge." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Good power for the class, a comfortable ride, fine practicality, and handsome looks inside and out are some of the qualities of this well-rounded package." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Kia Rio Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers say the Ford Fiesta is one of the sharpest-handling cars in the class, and it earns praise for its composed ride. The Fiesta’s attractive cabin design also appeals to critics.
The Chevrolet Sonic’s agility and peppy turbocharged engine make it one of the more enjoyable cars to drive in the class, according to auto writers. They also like its spacious rear seats, ample cargo space and long list of available features.
Details: 2015 Kia Rio
The 2015 Kia Rio is available in sedan and hatchback body styles and comes in LX, EX and SX trims. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, front-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission are standard, and a six-speed automatic is available. The Rio hasn’t been fully redesigned since 2012, and since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Kia Rio
- View the best prices for the 2015 Kia Rio
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Kia Rio
- Search used Kia Rio for sale (2,412 listings)
- See Affordable Subcompact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals