Kia Sedona Recalls & Reliability
Review Last Updated: 5/1/08
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
EXTERIOR LIGHTING , SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULICRecall Date: 04/01/2013
- Summary: Kia Motors Corporation (Kia) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Rondo and Sportage, model year 2007-2011 Sorento, model year 2007 Sedona, model year 2010-2011 Soul, and model year 2011 Optima vehicles. The stop lamp switch in the affected vehicles may malfunction. A malfunctioning stop lamp switch may cause the brake lights to not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed or may cause an inability to deactivate the cruise control by depressing the brake pedal. Additionally, a malfunctioning stop lamp switch may also result in intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, affect the operation of the brake-transmission shift interlock feature preventing the shifter from being moved out of the PARK position and causing the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) malfunction light to illuminate.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 623,658
- Consequence: Failure to illuminate the stop lamps during braking or inability to disengage the cruise control could increase the risk of a crash. Additionally, when the ignition is in the 'ON' position, the transmission shifter may be able to be moved out of PARK without first applying the brake. This may lead to unintentional movement of the car which may increase the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Kia will send an interim notification to owners in May 2013. When parts are available, owners will receive a second notification and dealers will replace the stop lamp switch, free of charge. Owners may contact Kia at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's recall campaign number is SC098.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V114000
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCHRecall Date: 04/15/2009
- Summary: HYUNDAI-KIA IS RECALLING 139,844 MY 2006-2007- SEDONA, SPORTAGE, SORENTO AND MY RONDO AND AMANTI VEHICLES. THE STOP LAMP SWITCH IN THE VEHICLE MAY HAVE BEEN DAMAGED DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS. AS A RESULT, THE STOP LAMP SWITCH MAY MALFUNCTION CAUSING ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS TO EXIST: THE BRAKE LIGHTS MAY NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED OR MAY REMAIN ILLUMINATED WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS RELEASED. ON SOME OCCASIONS, WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED, THE SHIFTER CANNOT BE MOVED FROM THE PARK (P) POSITION. IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC), THE ESC LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE INDICATING "ESC OFF." IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH CRUISE CONTROL, DEPRESSING THE BRAKE MAY NOT DEACTIVATE THE CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 139844
- Consequence: THE MALFUNCTION OF THE STOP LAMP SWITCH MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STOP LAMP SWITCH TO ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY THAT THIS CONDITION MIGHT EXIST. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY/JUNE 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CONSUMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-333-4542.
- Notes: HYUNDAI-KIA RECALL NO. SC077. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 09V130000
Kia offers impressive warranty coverage on all of its cars, including a five-year/60,000-mile basic warranty. Kia also offers a standard ten-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, a five-year/100,000-mile anti-perforation warranty and a five-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance program.