Kia Sedona Performance
The redesigned 2015 Kia Sedona’s performance doesn’t meet most critics’ expectations for a minivan, with a majority of test drivers reporting it feels underpowered on the highway and clumsy during cornering. Some auto writers also complain that the Sedona’s ride is uncomfortable.
- "The 2015 Kia Sedona is spacious, practical, and not engaging at all to drive -- just like a minivan should be." -- AutoWeek
- "Minivans are typically unremarkable from behind the wheel, and the Sedona is no exception. Its controls offer enough information to prudently guide the van, but nothing more." -- Edmunds
- "Of course we don't expect sports-sedan handling from this 4700-pound van, but competitors offer much more confidence-inspiring dynamics than the Kia's limp steering and sloppy body control." -- Automobile Magazine
- “I enjoyed my drive along the snaking stretch of CA-84 that runs through the Santa Cruz Mountains, but despite its evident competence, the Sedona is not designed for conquering an undulating road in a hurry." -- Autoblog
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Kia Sedona has a 276-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. According to the EPA, the base Sedona L gets 18/24 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class.
According to test drivers, the 2015 Sedona has decent acceleration on city streets but feels weak when you’re climbing a hill or passing someone on the highway. Some blame the automatic transmission, which they say can be slow to downshift. Reviewers note that the slow acceleration is especially notable in the heavier SX Limited model.
- "The powertrain is perfectly refined and smooth, but felt unresponsive and sluggish on hilly terrain due to the six-speed automatic's reluctance to downshift." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Acceleration is adequate in urban traffic, but two-lane passing exposure felt a little long during our brief afternoon drive in the hills of California." -- Car and Driver
- "The Sedona performs well enough in everyday urban traffic, and the programming of its automatic transmission is well matched to the power traits of the new V6 engine. On the other hand, in passing situations on two-lane highways, a little more thrust would be welcome; exposure time in the oncoming traffic lane can feel a little lengthy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Off the line, this all-boxes-checked minivan's weight is noticeable, as the engine has to huff-and-puff a bit to get it up to speed (a base LX model weighs 4,414 lbs)." -- Autoblog (SX Limited)
Handling and Braking
Most automotive journalists think the 2015 Kia Sedona’s handling is pretty poor, even for this class. They say it has slow cornering responses and numb steering, adding that it’s obvious the Sedona’s brakes have to work hard to stop the heavy vehicle. Some test drivers also say the 2015 Sedona has a rough ride, especially if you’re sitting in the rear seats. However, others report that the ride is smooth.
- "The further rearward you sit, the choppier the suspension feels. The bumps become harsher, the body control becomes disjointed, the bounces become -- well, bouncier." -- AutoWeek
- "Don't think that the subpar ride quality is a compromise for nimble handling, though, because the Kia Sedona did not impress through the twisty sections of California's Route 84, even for a minivan." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Multi purpose vehicles obviously can't be confused with sports cars, but even so the Sedona's responses could be a little quicker, and its steering could provide a little more tactile information to the driver. Then again, the Sedona excels in two dynamic areas that rank high in priorities for potential owners in this class: creamy ride quality and quiet operation." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The vehicle's weight really makes the engine work to get it up to speed and the brakes strain to rein it back in." -- Autoblog
Next Steps: Kia Sedona
- View the best prices for the 2015 Kia Sedona
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Kia Sedona
- Search used Kia Sedona for sale (2,223 listings)
- See Minivans rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals