Kia Sedona Performance
Critics are disappointed with the 2016 Kia Sedona's clumsy handling, poor braking power and slow highway acceleration. Some also complain that it has a rough ride, though others think it is comfortable.
- "While devoid of any real vices, the Sedona's responses in quick maneuvers are deliberate, rather than eager. The electric power-steering system could benefit from improved feedback, and the V6 engine, while smooth, delivers acceleration that's classifiable as adequate, rather than brisk." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Minivans are typically unremarkable from behind the wheel, and the Sedona is no exception. Its controls offer enough information to prudently guide the van, but nothing more." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Of course we don't expect sports-sedan handling from this 4700-pound van, but competitors offer much more confidence-inspiring dynamics than the Kia's limp steering and sloppy body control." -- Automobile Magazine (2015)
- "I enjoyed my drive along the snaking stretch of CA-84 that runs through the Santa Cruz Mountains, but despite its evident competence, the Sedona is not designed for conquering an undulating road in a hurry." -- Autoblog (2015)
Acceleration and Power
The 2016 Kia Sedona has a 276-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. According to the EPA, the base Sedona gets 18/24 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class.
The 2016 Kia Sedona has enough power for city driving, automotive journalists report, but it feels slow on hills and highways. Some blame the Sedona's slow-shifting automatic transmission for its unimpressive acceleration, and others blame the Sedona's heaviness.
- "The powertrain is perfectly refined and smooth, but felt unresponsive and sluggish on hilly terrain due to the six-speed automatic's reluctance to downshift." -- Automobile Magazine (2015)
- "Acceleration is adequate in urban traffic, but two-lane passing exposure felt a little long during our brief afternoon drive in the hills of California." -- Car and Driver (2015)
- "Off the line, this all-boxes-checked minivan's weight is noticeable, as the engine has to huff-and-puff a bit to get it up to speed. …" -- Autoblog (2015)
Handling and Braking
Some critics say the 2016 Kia Sedona has a comfortable ride, but others write that the Sedona's ride is bumpy, which they say is especially noticeable from the rear seats. Most agree that the Sedona handles corners poorly, even for a minivan. They note that the Sedona's steering is unresponsive and its brakes could be stronger.
- "The Sedona's overall ride quality is soft and smooth, appropriate traits for a family hauler." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "… the Sedona's suspension is tuned for comfort, not for speed, and its hydraulic power steering system is both slow (3.2 turns lock-to-lock) and a little secretive. On the other hand, the Sedona delivers very well on the dynamic values important to families, providing a supple ride quality with nary a jolt and hushed interior noise levels that rival anything in the minivan/MPV class." -- Car and Driver (2015)
- "The further rearward you sit, the choppier the suspension feels. The bumps become harsher, the body control becomes disjointed, the bounces become -- well, bouncier." -- AutoWeek (2015)
- "Don't think that the subpar ride quality is a compromise for nimble handling, though, because the Kia Sedona did not impress through the twisty sections of California's Route 84, even for a minivan." -- Automobile Magazine (2015)
- "The vehicle's weight really makes the engine work to get it up to speed and the brakes strain to rein it back in." -- Autoblog (2015)
Research Prices: 2016 Kia Sedona
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Kia Sedona and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Kia Sedona
- View the best prices for the 2016 Kia Sedona
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Kia Sedona
- Search used Kia Sedona for sale (2,223 listings)
- See Minivans rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals