Kia Sorento Review
The 2015 Kia Sorento ranks 14 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Sorento, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Kia Sorento is ranked:
The 2015 Kia Sorento offers less cargo space than most three-row rivals, but reviewers say it is easy to maneuver and offers a peppy, optional V6.
The 2015 Kia Sorento has a standard four-cylinder engine and an optional V6. Automotive critics report that the V6 has ample power in all situations. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with either engine, and it garners praise for its smooth shifts. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 20/27 mpg city/highway with the four-cylinder engine, which is on par for a four-cylinder, midsize SUV. V6 models are rated at 18/25 mpg, which is decent when compared with what similarly equipped rivals get. Reviewers write that the Sorento’s ride is generally comfortable and its steering is accurate. Some also appreciate that the Sorento is easy to park and maneuver in close quarters. While many say that its handling is composed, they also comment the Sorento is far from sporty.
Some reviewers are pleased with the quality of materials in the 2015 Sorento’s cabin, while others comment that various plastic panels seem low-rent. All but the base trim have a third row of seating, and critics note that this row is best used in a pinch, advising that larger families may be better served by a bigger SUV. The Sorento has quite a bit less cargo space than other three-row rivals, though some reviewers are nonetheless pleased with the available cargo room. The Sorento comes standard with Bluetooth and a USB port. Options include a rearview camera, Kia’s UVO infotainment system, navigation, blind spot monitoring and a 10-speaker Infinity audio system. Test drivers agree that UVO’s controls are responsive and its menu structure is straightforward.
- "As Kia continues to make inroads in every sector, the automaker is still struggling with one of the most competitive fields, the 7-passenger crossover-SUV segment. Stepping up to the challenge is the 2015 Kia Sorento, the company's largest SUV offering. Although it lacks the style and sophistication of its close cousin, the Hyundai Santa Fe, the Sorento still fulfills the primary mission of a family SUV. With room for seven, the Sorento is a solid, reliable vehicle loaded with features and offering an impressive list of available equipment rarely found in this class." -- AutoTrader
- "If traditional compact SUVs are just too small for your tastes but you don't need a true midsizer, the Sorento may satisfy your need for something in between. The combination of optional third-row seating, multiple trim levels and a choice of four or six-cylinder engines makes it a unique offering in the segment." -- Edmunds
- "If you need an SUV that can tow heavy loads and fit two grown adults in its third-row seat, the Sorento probably won't work for you. A larger SUV, such as a Honda Pilot, Chevrolet Traverse or GMC Yukon, might make a better choice." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other SUVs to Consider
According to test drivers, the Ford Flex has a very spacious interior with a third row that is comfortable for adults. The Flex also has more cargo space than the Sorento, and most reviewers like its first-rate cabin materials and poised handling.
The Toyota Highlander offers more cargo space than the Sorento and reviewers note that its cabin is lined with soft-touch materials. They also comment that it has a comfortable ride and composed handling.
Details: 2015 Kia Sorento
The 2015 Kia Sorento seats up to seven people in three rows. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard. A 3.3-liter V6 engine and all-wheel drive are optional. The 2015 Kia Sorento comes in four trims: LX, EX, SX and Limited. The Sorento received a number of updates for the 2014 model year, but is largely unchanged since it was last redesigned for the 2011 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Kia Sorento
- View the best prices for the 2015 Kia Sorento
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Kia Sorento
- Search used Kia Sorento for sale (15,541 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings