Kia Sorento Review
The 2014 Kia Sorento ranks 9 out of 22 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Sorento, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers say that the updated 2014 Kia Sorento is a good value, but the Sorento loses points for its unimpressive cabin materials and sluggish base engine.
The 2014 Kia Sorento is powered by a four-cylinder engine, and while some reviewers say it offers adequate power, others find the Sorento lethargic with this engine. A V6 engine is optional, and most test drivers say that it provides strong acceleration, though one critic wishes the V6 was more responsive when accelerating from a stop. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and earns praise for shifting smoothly. The EPA reports that the 2014 Sorento gets up to 20/26 mpg city/highway, which is average for the class. Reviewers generally don’t consider the Sorento athletic, but most agree that it has acceptable handling and a comfortable ride. One automotive journalist says the Sorento features precise steering, while another notes that the brakes are powerful for the class.
Automotive journalists write that the Sorento’s cabin is built with hard plastics, and many note that they’d like more high-quality materials. The front seats are praised for being comfortable and supportive, although some reviewers think the available leather upholstery feels cheap. One reviewer thinks the second-row seats offer good head- and legroom, but another thinks that the second row is too small. While many midsize SUVs offer more cargo space, test drivers say that the Sorento offers plenty of cargo room. The Sorento also garners praise for its long standard features list. One reviewer thinks the available infotainment system is easy to use, while another likes the Sorento’s straightforward audio and climate controls. The 2014 Kia Sorento comes standard with cloth seats, heated mirrors, USB and auxiliary jacks, satellite radio and Bluetooth. Optional features include leather seating, heated and cooled power-adjustable front seats with driver seat memory, heated second row seats, a panoramic sunroof, a 10-speaker Infinity surround-sound system, Kia’s UVO infotainment system, navigation, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, a blind spot warning system, keyless entry with push-button start, a power liftgate and dual-zone automatic climate control.
- "Kia says more than 80 percent of the parts in the 2014 Sorento are either all-new or redesigned. The net result is an SUV that looks a little different but feels significantly more refined, and offers an impressive set of convenience and infotainment technologies, including the new UVO eServices system." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Kia Sorento has always been an exceedingly good value. That hasn't changed. The top-level SX Limited, at just over $40,000, adds a litany of luxury features for thousands less than its competitors." -- Popular Mechanics
- "The 2014 Kia Sorento's refined ride quality and newly available features may not be enough to entice shoppers from other automaker camps. The Sorento continues to strike a balance between small and large SUVs, though with that comes interior room and gas mileage that's likewise middle of the pack." -- Cars.com
Other SUVs to Consider
If you’re looking to venture off the beaten path, reviewers say that the Jeep Grand Cherokee has excellent off-road capability. The Grand Cherokee also earns praise for its user-friendly tech features and high-quality interior.
The Buick Enclave has more cargo space than the Sorento, and reviewers say it has a roomy, quiet interior. The Enclave also comes standard with a V6, and test drivers write that the Enclave has a comfortable ride and composed handling.
Details: 2014 Kia Sorento
The 2014 Kia Sorento seats five in two rows. An optional third row increases seating capacity to seven. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard. A 3.3-liter V6 engine and all-wheel drive are optional. The 2014 Kia Sorento comes in five trims: LX, LX V6, EX V6, SX and SX Limited. The 2014 Kia Sorento receives a number of updates this year, including refreshed interior and exterior styling, a new V6 engine and many new standard and optional features.
Next Steps: Kia Sorento
- View the best prices for the 2014 Kia Sorento
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Kia Sorento
- Search used Kia Sorento for sale (15,794 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings