Kia Sorento Review
The 2016 Kia Sorento ranks 4 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Sorento, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Kia Sorento is ranked:
The fully redesigned 2016 Kia Sorento is a great value in its class, auto writers say, and they like its agreeable ride and premium interior.
Automotive journalists think the 2016 Sorento's standard four-cylinder engine is slightly underpowered. The optional V6 and turbocharged four-cylinder engines, however, deliver more than enough power, test drivers report. They add that the Sorento's standard automatic transmission seamlessly changes gears. With the base engine, the 2016 Sorento returns an EPA-estimated 21/29 mpg city/highway. That’s good for the class. The Kia Sorento has controlled handling and a comfortable ride, according to reviewers. They're pleased that the steering is sharp and gives the driver lots of road feedback.
The redesigned 2016 Kia Sorento has upscale interior materials and attractive styling, reviewers say. The Sorento's cargo area is spacious compared to that of other two-row midsize SUVs, and test drivers report that there's more useful space behind the optional third-row seats than there was in the 2015 model. Reviewers agree that the first- and second-row seats are spacious and comfortable, while the third row has enough room for children. The 2016 Sorento comes standard with Bluetooth, a USB port and satellite radio. Optional features include a 10-speaker Infinity surround-sound audio system, a panoramic sunroof, Kia's UVO infotainment system, a rearview camera, a 360-degree camera system, adaptive cruise control, rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic monitoring, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, proximity key, dual-zone automatic climate control and navigation with an 8-inch touch screen. The 8-inch touch screen has crisp graphics, reviewers report, and the Infinity audio system has great sound quality.
- "The 2016 Sorento has been comprehensively upgraded, and its charms are more diverse than ever. With three engines to choose from, seating for five to seven, a more upscale interior and better driving dynamics, Kia's latest entry into this red-hot class might not be the most dynamically gifted or the most visually distinct model in its class, but it's a seriously well-rounded, well-considered crossover." -- Autoblog
- "It's a significant step forward in looks, quality, and performance, yet this category of premium crossovers is already full of great choices. As before, the Sorento's prime advantage against the competition still lies in its price." -- Automobile Magazine
- "If you're looking to gentrify your driveway with a crossover, you're not going to do much better than the Sorento in terms of financial outlay, style, quality, and capability." -- Car and Driver
- "The styling inside and out is sharp and spot-on, and the driving experience is also markedly improved. We'll put it this way: If you liked the old Sorento, you'll love this new one." -- Kelley Blue Book
Kia Sorento Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers praise the Nissan Murano's serene ride quality, and it gets the same fuel economy with its standard V6 as the base four-cylinder Sorento. Reviewers remark that the cabin is spacious and has materials and a design that wouldn't look out of place in an Infiniti luxury vehicle.
Reviewers write that the Ford Flex's third row offers ample space for adults. They note that it has nimble handling and very strong acceleration with its available twin-turbocharged V6 engine.
Details: 2016 Kia Sorento
The 2016 Kia Sorento seats five, and an optional third row boosts capacity to seven. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard, while a 3.3-liter V6 or a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine are optional. A six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard and all-wheel drive is available. There are five trim levels: L, LX, EX, SX and Limited. The Sorento is fully redesigned for the 2016 model year.
Next Steps: Kia Sorento
- View the best prices for the 2016 Kia Sorento
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Kia Sorento
- Search used Kia Sorento for sale (9,239 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals