Kia Sorento Interior
Most test drivers agree that the redesigned 2016 Kia Sorento's cabin has a handsome design and is made with premium materials that are soft to the touch. Reviewers like the spacious second-row seats, but most note that the optional third row is best left to children. Cargo space is good for a two-row midsize SUV, and the infotainment controls are easy to use, reviewers note.
- "The 2016 Sorento moves up in the world figuratively as well. Although the $25,795 base L trim is a shell of the fully loaded SX-L we drove, every Sorento nevertheless gains an abundance of soft-touch materials with richer textures on its dash and doors." -- Edmunds
- "The interior has seen the most notable upgrades, with a total redesign that makes the Kia feel closer to a premium option." -- Motor Trend
- "The new interior and exterior styling look great, and the selection of materials inside, judicious use of chrome outside, and emphasis on quiet on the road give the impression that this mid-priced Kia is punching above its class and price." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "With the Kia Sorento, it's a tale of two interiors, but the takeaway is that there is a nice, harmonious and premium-looking cabin to be had if you select the right trim. We sampled a lower-end V6 model (not pictured), and came away wanting more refinement." -- Autoblog
- "Inside, the 2016 Sorento features more refined details and soft touch materials than ever before." -- Left Lane News
Kia Sorento Pictures
The 2016 Sorento seats five, and an optional third row boosts seating capacity to seven. Leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, heated front seats, ventilated front seats, heated second-row seats and a heated steering wheel are optional. Auto journalists say the front seats are comfortable and forward visibility is good, and the second-row seats have ample space. Most critics report that the third row is best suited to kids, though a few comment that adults may be comfortable in it for short stints.
- "We tested all-wheel-drive versions of the turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the five-passenger model and found a Sorento with a good view of the road ahead and comfort inside." -- Left Lane News
- "The second row gains 2 extra inches of legroom, while still reclining for added comfort and sliding to bring the kids closer up front or to provide extra legroom for the folks in the third row. As for those folks, they no longer have to be children to occupy the Sorento's aft-most quarters. A pair of 6-footers will technically fit back there with their knees awkwardly pointing toward their chins due to the low-mounted seats, but adults of average height will be good for short trips and more importantly, kids will be more comfortable." -- Edmunds
- "Rear passenger space gets a 0.5-inch increase, and the second row feels especially roomy, excelling in leg, head and shoulder room. The third row will always be cramped in a vehicle of this class, but the ability to slide the second row forward helps a little. Still, the third row will be best suited for small children." -- Motor Trend
- "The front-row and 2nd-row seats are comfortable, with plenty of headroom and legroom, but like most midsize SUVs, the third row is reserved for the smallest of adults and children." -- Kelley Blue Book
Standard features in the 2016 Kia Sorento include satellite radio, Bluetooth, a USB port and a 4.3-inch touch-screen audio system. Options include a panoramic sunroof, Kia's UVO infotainment system, a 10-speaker Infinity surround-sound audio system, a rearview camera, a 360-degree camera system, adaptive cruise control, rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic monitoring, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, proximity key, dual-zone automatic climate control and navigation with an 8-inch touch screen.
Reviewers say that with either the standard or optional touch screen, infotainment controls are easy to operate, adding that the larger screen has crisp graphics and large buttons. Others comment that the Infinity audio system produces a clear, rich sound.
- "The optional UVO infotainment display with its 8-inch screen and vibrant, sharp graphics continues to impress. Hard buttons for regularly accessed features run alongside and make all the difference in system maneuverability." -- Motor Trend
- "Hi-tech accoutrements are all-over as well, and include a 630-watt, 12-speaker Infinity audio system with Clari-Fi technology that rebuilds the audio signal that is sometimes lost with digital compression. As a result, we found a system with barely any distortion that could potentially cause your ears to bleed out." -- Left Lane News
- "The Sorento LX and EX trims come standard with a 4.3-inch touchscreen, while the 8-inch screen you see here in photos includes a navigation system and is optional on EX trims and standard on the SX ones. Based on past experiences with other Kias, both are intuitive to use, with the latter in particular benefiting from large virtual buttons." -- Edmunds
The 2016 Sorento has 11.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the optional third row, 38 cubic feet behind the second row and 73 cubic feet with both the rear and middle rows folded. The Sorento's overall cargo space is good for a two-row midsize SUV, and reviewers note that there is more useful space behind the third row than in the 2015 model. Test drivers also appreciate the convenience of the optional smart power liftgate, which senses when the key fob is in proximity and automatically opens the liftgate.
- "Behind that 50/50-split folding third row are an additional 2 cubic feet of cargo space, creating a more useful space for a pair of small suitcases or several grocery bags." -- Edmunds
- "Cargo space behind the third row is limited to small items, but fold it down and you have more than adequate room for larger items." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Kia one-upped all the other manufacturers who offer sweep-foot technology to open the rear hatch with their new Smart power lift gate. Using no kicking, sweeping or waving, it only requires a walk within a coverage zone for it to lift on its own." -- Left Lane News
Next Steps: Kia Sorento
- View the best prices for the 2016 Kia Sorento
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Kia Sorento
- Search used Kia Sorento for sale (9,239 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals