Kia Sorento Performance
Reviewers write that the 2015 Kia Sorento generally rides comfortably and that its handling isn’t all that sporty. They add that it is maneuverable in small spaces like parking lots. The optional V6 is praised for its ample power, and its transmission is well-liked for its imperceptible shifts.
- "The Sorento is not designed for driving excitement; it comes across as an easily accessible daily driver that's nicely insulated from the outside world." -- MSN (2014)
- "The new Sorento delivers the most important driving characteristic a family needs-comfort. The new suspension system provides a ride that's as plush as an air-spring-equipped Jeep Grand Cherokee." -- Popular Mechanics (2014)
- "Exterior road noise now barely penetrates the passenger space; the suspension happily soaks up nastiness below; and there's ample power throughout the V-6's entire rev range." -- Motor Trend (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Sorento comes standard with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 191 horsepower. A 3.3-liter V6 that produces 290 horsepower is optional. A six-speed automatic is standard on all models. A four-cylinder Sorento with front-wheel drive earns an EPA-estimated 20/27 mpg city/highway, which is mid-pack for a four-cylinder midsize SUV. V6 models return 18/25 mpg, which is fairly good when compared with similarly equipped rivals’ fuel economy.
Auto journalists agree that the 2015 Sorento's V6 engine has ample power for all situations, though some complain that this engine is a bit noisy. Several reviewers write that the automatic transmission is responsive and its shifts are imperceptible.
- "Our V6-equipped tester offered strong acceleration, which made us glad that we had the plus-sized engine." -- AutoTrader
- "Get the Sorento out on the open road and the 290-horsepower V6 and seamless-shifting 6-speed automatic deliver smooth and responsive performance, yet return surprisingly good fuel economy figures." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The V6 is smooth, if a bit overly loud at higher rpm, and works in concert nicely with the six-speed automatic." -- Edmunds
Handling and Braking
Most test drivers agree that the 2015 Sorento generally has a comfortable ride. They add that while its suspension is tuned for comfort, the Sorento’s handling is fairly composed and its steering is precise. Some reviewers add that the Sorento has a small turning circle and is easier to maneuver through tight spaces than rivals like the Honda Pilot.
- "Kia's efforts at making the Sorento more involving for drivers starts with the chassis, and the last year's upgrades have paid off handsomely. The Sorento handles with newfound crispness, and its reworked suspension helps it feel isolated from uneven pavement." -- AutoTrader
- "The Sorento is no sportster, that's for sure, but it's more than capable of tackling turns at normal speeds in a controlled manner. Get near its limits, though, especially if you throw a midcorner bump into the mix, and it starts to get sloppy. The suspension, and the Sorento in general, just can't cope with extremes as well as some competitors. In a similar fashion, the Sorento delivers a comfortable, cushy ride, right up until you encounter a deep pothole or large bump, at which point it transmits the harshness directly to the cabin and you're suddenly wondering what happened to the ride quality." -- Edmunds
- "While the Kia Sorento for 2015 may not have the vast interior space of some competitors, it gains advantages from its more maneuverable size and sporty chassis. Seven inches shorter and with a smaller wheelbase than the Honda Pilot, the Sorento has no problem fitting into tight parking spaces and its tight turning radius makes it less ponderous when negotiating crowded parking structures." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "And here the steering is light and accurate, albeit unenthusiastic. The suspension can be best described as squishy, but the ride was comfortable enough." -- AutoWeek (2014)
Next Steps: Kia Sorento
- View the best prices for the 2015 Kia Sorento
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Kia Sorento
- Search used Kia Sorento for sale (15,541 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings