Kia Soul Review
The 2015 Kia Soul ranks 5 out of 44 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Kia Soul, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Kia Soul is ranked:
The 2015 Kia Soul's high-end interior materials, as well as numerous standard and optional features, impress automotive writers.
Consumers can place either a 1.6-liter or 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine in the 2015 Kia Soul, and though most critics prefer the stronger 2.0-liter engine, they note that neither option delivers attention-grabbing punch. The Soul's standard transmission is a six-speed manual. A six-speed automatic transmission is optional. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 24/30 mpg city/highway, which is low for a compact hatchback. According to reviewers, the Soul feels composed through turns and has a comfortable ride, but its handling isn't especially athletic.
The 2015 Kia Soul's interior has a fashionable design and is composed of quality materials, according to test drivers. They find the front and rear seats roomy and praise the range of features the Soul delivers for the price, such as ventilated front seats and heated rear seats. Automotive writers find cargo space good for the class. The Soul comes standard with Bluetooth, satellite radio and a USB port. Options include Kia’s UVO infotainment system, a rearview camera, an Infinity audio system, HD Radio, navigation with an 8-inch touch screen and a panoramic sunroof. According to reviewers, the Soul's available touch-screen audio system has a sharp display and responds quickly to commands. The Soul has an excellent combination of space, safety and reliability ratings, as well as available family-friendly features. Those factors combined make it our 2015 Best Hatchback for Families.
- "Whether you desire value, practicality, stylish looks or surprising technology and amenities in your economy hatchback, the 2015 Soul checks all the boxes." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The competitively priced Soul is a very compelling mix of personality and practicality." -- Consumer Guide
- "Proving once and for all that it's hip to be square, the Kia Soul stands out from other compacts with a unique look that manages to be both boxy and extremely funky. The affordably priced, hamster-endorsed hatchback also delivers a roomy cabin, ample standard features and numerous optional extras, making it an appealing blend of style and substance." -- Left Lane News
- "Like a boutique hotel, it has premium qualities that are a cut above the other choices, but it's value-priced." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
Kia Soul Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Volkswagen Golf gets better fuel economy than the Soul, and reviewers say its cabin has luxurious materials for the class. The Golf has a comfortable ride and poised handling, according to test drivers, and they say its available diesel engine delivers ample power and great fuel economy.
Auto journalist say the Mazda3 has ample power, especially with its larger optional four-cylinder engine. The Mazda3 is praised for its upscale cabin materials and nimble handling, and it gets better fuel economy than the Soul.
Details: 2015 Kia Soul
The 2015 Kia Soul is a front-wheel drive hatchback that comes in three trim levels: base, Plus and Exclaim. The base Soul has a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, while upper trims have a more powerful 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is optional. The all-electric Kia Soul EV is also available, but only sold in select areas. The five-seat Soul was completely redesigned for 2014 and sees few updates for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Kia Soul
- View the best prices for the 2015 Kia Soul
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Kia Soul
- Search used Kia Soul for sale (6,581 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals