Kia Sportage Review
The 2016 Kia Sportage's nimble handling makes it fun to drive, but critics note that its harsh ride and poor cargo space may discourage some shoppers.
The 2016 Kia Sportage is ranked:
Powering the 2016 Kia Sportage is a four-cylinder engine that reviewers say delivers fairly quick acceleration. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine is available, and according to auto writers, it delivers vigorous power. A six-speed automatic transmission comes standard with both engines. The EPA estimates that the Kia Sportage gets 21/28 mpg city/highway, which is a bit lower than most rivals' estimates. Test drivers praise the Kia Sportage for its sporty handling, which they say makes it enjoyable to drive. However, they note that its firm suspension creates a rough ride quality. The Sportage's steering is sharp, some critics report.
Reviewers like the Kia Sportage's stylish cabin and say it's well-built, but they point out that the abundance of hard plastic materials is disappointing. Some test drivers say the front seats are comfortable, while others think they're too stiff. Most reviewers complain about the lack of rear legroom and say the Sportage's thick roof pillars create poor visibility in most directions. The 2016 Kia Sportage comes standard with satellite radio, Bluetooth and a USB port. Optional features include an Infinity premium stereo, a panoramic sunroof, a UVO eServices infotainment system, a 7-inch touch-screen navigation system, push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera and rear parking sensors. Auto writers agree that the 2016 Sportage's dashboard and climate controls are straightforward and easily accessible, and the navigation system is easy to operate. With 54.6 cubic feet of overall cargo space, the Kia Sportage has less cargo room than most rivals.
- "For 2016 the Kia Sportage remains one of the most stylish and feature-rich compact-crossover SUVs one can buy. Up against the Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5 and even the new Hyundai Tucson, Kia's 2016 Sportage compact-crossover SUV plays in an increasingly crowded field. All of these competitors offer more interior room, better fuel economy and a smoother ride than the Sportage, so Kia's little SUV has to emphasize its strong points, namely its available 260-horsepower turbocharged engine and sleek exterior styling." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Thanks to a fun-to-drive nature, the 2015 Kia Sportage is an entertaining alternative to other small crossover SUVs on the market." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Other strengths include an available 260-horsepower turbocharged engine, which really puts the ‘Sport’ in ‘Sportage.’ Throw in adequate backseat room and a wealth of standard and optional features, and it's clear that the Sportage's strong first impression is just the beginning." -- AutoTrader (2015)
- "Sportage's racy styling sacrifices some outward visibility, and fuel economy falls a bit below par for the class. Otherwise, Sportage delivers a host of standard features, an impressive list of luxury options, and the bonus of Kia's strong warranty." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers like the GMC Terrain for its well-constructed cabin, which they say features back seats with plenty of space, due in part to their ability to slide back and forth, increasing legroom as needed. Test drivers note that the Terrain has a comfortable and composed ride. It also has more cargo space than the Sportage.
The Nissan Rogue has one of the highest cargo capacities in the class and earns excellent fuel economy estimates. Reviewers like its attractive cabin, which they note is quiet, comfortable and composed of top-notch materials.
Details: 2016 Kia Sportage
The 2016 Kia Sportage seats five and comes standard with front-wheel drive. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and all-wheel drive are optional. The Kia Sportage is available in three trims: LX, EX and SX. The Sportage was last redesigned for the 2011 model year and sees few changes for 2016. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2016 model years.
Research Prices: 2016 Kia Sportage
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Kia Sportage and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Kia Sportage
- View the best prices for the 2016 Kia Sportage
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Kia Sportage
- Search used Kia Sportage for sale (3,982 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals