Land Rover LR2 Review
The 2014 Land Rover LR2 ranks 10 out of 10 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Land Rover LR2, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Land Rover LR2 is ranked:
Test drivers say the 2014 Land Rover LR2 is one of the best off-roaders in the class, but rival luxury compact SUVs offer quicker acceleration, more luxurious interiors and a smoother ride on pavement.
The LR2 comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that automotive writers say has sufficient power for highway merging, but can feel slow off the line. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and automotive journalists write that it is quick to shift when more power is required. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class. Although test drivers are pleased with the LR2's ride comfort in general, many say that the LR2 isn't as smooth as its rivals on paved roads. Critics aren’t very impressed with the LR2's on-road handling, citing lots of body lean through corners and numb steering. Still, many reviewers consider the LR2 to be one of the best off-roading vehicles in the class, capable of climbing muddy inclines and fording water with ease.
Reviewers report that the Land Rover LR2's cabin is built with high-end materials that are in line with those found in competitors, but say that the overall appearance is somewhat stale. Reviewers like the great outward visibility from the front seats, but some mention that the seating position is a bit too high. Critics add that the rear seats aren't very spacious. The LR2's cargo space is comparable with that of rival SUVs. A touch-screen interface is used to control various audio and navigation functions, and some reviewers say the system works well, though others note that executing simple functions requires multiple steps. Automatic climate control, Bluetooth and an 11-speaker Meridian stereo system are standard. Options include a 17-speaker Meridian audio system, navigation and a backup camera.
- "From a luxury standpoint, the LR2 competes with the BMW X3, Mercedes-Benz GLK and Lexus RX -- all better-equipped and better-reviewed luxury models with more interior room and superior fuel economy ratings. However, the LR2's off-road abilities far exceed its luxury rivals." -- AutoTrader
- "This year little has changed, but the LR2 still offers something a lot of its competition doesn't: real off-road capability. … On the other hand, despite last year's improvements, the 2014 Land Rover LR2 doesn't offer the refinement or panache of luxury competitors like the Mercedes-Benz GLK, BMW X3 and Audi Q5." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The little 'ute isn't quite as compelling as more modern rivals when it comes to day-to-day driving but stands out from the pack as Land Rover's most affordable model." -- Left Lane News
- "… we'd only recommend the LR2 if you think you'll truly need its trail-based abilities." -- Edmunds (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Like the LR2, the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque comes with all-wheel drive and a terrain response system, but reviewers say it has impressive road manners and poised handling. They like its modern, opulent interior, and the Range Rover Evoque gets better fuel economy than the LR2.
The Acura RDX has competitive cargo capacity for the class and reviewers say its cabin is spacious and comfortable. They also report it has a comfortable ride and composed handling, and that its standard V6 engine has ample power.
Details: 2014 Land Rover LR2
The 2014 Land Rover LR2 seats five and has standard full-time all-wheel drive. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The LR2 comes in three trims: base, HSE and HSE LUX. The LR2 was significantly updated for the 2013 model year and sees few changes for 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Land Rover LR2
- View the best prices for the 2014 Land Rover LR2
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Land Rover LR2
- Search used Land Rover LR2 for sale (635 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings