Land Rover LR2 Review
The 2013 Land Rover LR2 ranks 10 out of 10 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Land Rover LR2, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Land Rover LR2 is ranked:
While the 2013 Land Rover LR2 is capable off road, test drivers agree that it lacks the luxury, refinement and road manners of other SUVs in the class.
The 2013 Land Rover LR2 is powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and many critics say that the LR2 doesn’t accelerate as quickly or smoothly as they would like. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. The EPA reports that the 2013 LR2 gets 17/24 mpg city/highway. While that rating is a significant improvement in comparison with the 2012 model, most luxury compact SUVs use less fuel. Test drivers note that the LR2 offers a comfortable ride, but that it leans in corners, and that many of the LR2’s competitors offer better handling. However, most agree that the LR2’s ground clearance, all-wheel drive and Terrain Response system make it quite capable off road.
An updated interior with high-quality materials impresses some reviewers who’ve tested the 2013 LR2. However, others write that changes to the gauges, center stack and console weren’t enough to revitalize the LR2’s cabin. Most critics say that the LR2 offers excellent outward visibility, as well as good head- and legroom in the front seats, and that the standard panoramic sunroof gives the cabin a spacious, airy feel. The LR2 comes with a competitive list of standard features for the class, and while some reviewers find its touch-screen infotainment system intuitive, others write that it could be easier to use. Rear parking sensors, rain-sensing windshield wipers, dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth and a 17-speaker Meridian audio system with a USB port come standard in the 2013 LR2. Optional features include satellite radio and HD Radio, navigation, heated seats and a heated steering wheel.
- "The Land Rover name is synonymous with luxury and off-road prowess, and the LR2 delivers on both counts. However, the latter demands some sacrifices in on-road behavior, namely with a higher step-in height and a sub-par ride/handling balance." -- Consumer Guide
- "The mission of the 2013 Land Rover LR2 is to effectively deliver the brand's historic attributes of off-road ability and luxury at a price point that can be met by the majority of luxury vehicle shoppers. At this, the LR2 is largely successful. But that doesn't necessarily translate to it being a great small luxury crossover SUV." -- Edmunds
- "Were these revisions significant enough to put the LR2 back on the map? Considering its well-entrenched rivals like the BMW X3, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class and Audi Q5, the revamped LR2 is definitely a step in the right direction." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "… Land Rover has had to struggle to maintain its heritage while simultaneously building its upscale credentials. Yet despite all that, the LR2 readily illustrates that ‘small,’ ‘rugged’ and ‘luxurious’ are not mutually exclusive terms." -- Autoblog
Other Luxury SUVs to Consider
The Audi Q5 isn’t known for its off-road abilities, but reviewers say that the Q5 offers great performance and a luxurious interior. The Q5 also comes standard with all-wheel drive and uses less fuel than the LR2.
The Infiniti EX37’s standard V6 engine makes it one of the most powerful SUVs in the class. Additionally, reviewers say that the EX37 features a high-quality interior with user-friendly tech features.
Details: 2013 Land Rover LR2
The 2013 Land Rover LR2 seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. A 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The LR2 comes in base, HSE and HSE Lux trims. For 2013, the LR2 gets a new engine, as well as refreshed interior and exterior styling and updated interior tech features. Otherwise, the LR2 is unchanged for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2008 through 2013.
Next Steps: Land Rover LR2
- View the best prices for the 2013 Land Rover LR2
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Land Rover LR2
- Search used Land Rover LR2 for sale (454 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings