Land Rover LR2 Performance
Most auto writers report that the 2015 Land Rover LR2 has lackluster handling and disappointing acceleration compared with its rivals. The LR2 also gets low fuel economy for the class. However, reviewers say its off-roading capabilities are quite impressive for a luxury compact SUV.
- "Unfortunately, the LR2's off-road prowess comes with a price on road, that being its less than luxury-car smooth ride and somewhat ponderous feel in the curves." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Drivers who expect the road-owning sensation provided by the LR4 or the Range Rover family will be disappointed." -- AutoTrader
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Land Rover LR2 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 240 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. According to the EPA, the 2015 LR2 gets 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is poor for the class.
Most critics complain that the LR2 has poor throttle response and worse acceleration than its rivals. However, a few note that the engine performs well during off-roading thanks to smooth low-end power delivery.
- "… the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine feels eager enough in daily driving but is unlikely to produce many adrenaline rushes, as its acceleration trails most rival four-cylinders by a wide margin." -- Edmunds
- "We were impressed by the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine's ability to make power low in the torque band and then deliver that power smoothly, an important attribute when crawling over boulders or berms." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Customers are more likely to be annoyed by the SUV's reluctant throttle response and moderate turbo lag." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "Although its increased power and better fuel economy look good on paper, the new 4-cylinder turbo isn't as instant or linear in its power delivery as the old inline six." --Consumer Guide
Handling and Braking
While its handling pleases a few critics, many think the 2015 Land Rover LR2 feels less agile than its competitors, adding that its steering is sluggish and its tall frame leans heavily during cornering. Some test drivers say the LR2 has a comfortable ride, but others write that it rides stiffly over small bumps.
- "When the time comes to leave the trails behind, the LR2 is plenty refined on the pavement, although customers seeking dynamic handling might be better served by another crossover." -- Left Lane News
- "On the road, the 2015 Land Rover LR2 offers the kind of smooth, unperturbed ride quality one would expect from a luxury vehicle. Handling is also surprisingly sure-footed, though its tall profile and substantial weight make the overall driving experience less than sporty." -- Edmunds
- "Perhaps a sacrifice to its off-road mission, the ride is rather brittle over smaller bumps, the tall body leans more than it seemingly should in fast turns, and the steering is a bit heavy and slow." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Ride quality was good but not great over paved surfaces and rutted, potholed dirt roads alike." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
The 2015 Land Rover LR2 is equipped with full-time all-wheel drive and Land Rover's Terrain Response System, which has modes for different types of terrain, including mud, snow, ruts, sand and rock. Test drivers say that although the LR2 isn’t the best off-roader in the Land Rover lineup, it is one of the best among luxury compact SUVs.
- "… the LR2's off-road abilities far exceed its luxury rivals." -- AutoTrader
- "As one would expect given Land Rover's off-road heritage, the LR2 is the mountain goat of the premium compact crossover segment." -- Left Lane News
- "Whiles it's not set up to handle the same boulder-strewn dirt trails as its more rugged cousins, its ability to motor through conditions that would send most of its competitors packing makes it a solid choice for anyone looking for a luxury crossover that can leave civilization behind at a moment's notice." -- Edmunds
- "You'll be happy to know that if off-road adventuring is part of your regular weekend routine, the 2015 Land Rover LR2 SUV is more than up to the task." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Land Rover LR2
- View the best prices for the 2015 Land Rover LR2
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Land Rover LR2
- Search used Land Rover LR2 for sale (693 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings