Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Review
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque ranks 10 out of 12 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque is ranked:
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque wins over critics with its agile on-road handling, great off-road capability and modern styling, but critics dislike its meager cargo space and poor outward visibility.
The 2014 Evoque comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and new-for-2014 nine-speed automatic transmission, and auto writers say it feels peppy off the line and has plenty of power for passing on the highway. Its fuel economy is fairly good for the class, at an EPA-estimated 21/30 mpg city/highway. Test drivers say that the Evoque has athletic handling and a firm, but comfortable, ride. They add that while it can't match the off-road prowess of the full-size Range Rover, the Evoque nonetheless is more capable off-road than any other luxury compact SUV.
Test drivers say the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque's cabin is built with top-notch materials and that everything has a high-quality look and feel. Most agree that the Evoque has poor outward visibility and limited cargo space compared to many SUVs in the class. The Evoque's front seats are spacious, supportive and comfortable, reviewers say, but the back seats don't have a lot of leg- or headroom and that the rear quarters generally feel closed in. Auto journalists are impressed with the sound quality of the optional Meridian stereo system and say that the available surround-view camera system, which uses multiple cameras to give a 360-degree view around the Evoque, is helpful. Standard features include a rearview camera, an 8-inch touch-screen display, two USB ports and Bluetooth. Options include navigation, a panoramic sunroof, blind spot monitoring, a surround-view camera system, adaptive cruise control and a 17-speaker Meridian audio system.
- "It's hardly the most practical luxury crossover SUV out there, but the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque compensates with serious style, sporty handling and above-average off-road talents." -- Edmunds
- "You'll like the 2014 Range Rover Evoque if you want a seriously stylish compact-luxury SUV that drives well in the city but isn't afraid of the wilderness. The new Evoque also returns 30 mpg on the highway, a number inconceivable in any other Range Rover." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But seriously the Evoque is pretty good. Go ahead and get one." -- Jalopnik (2013)
- "It seems to come down to those who can live with the shortcomings caused by radical style, and those that can't. There is a shortage of storage space compared with rivals, and a tiny rear window, on top of Range Rover's less-than-stellar record for reliability." -- MarketWatch (2012)
- "With its innovative design, the Evoque is in the vanguard of a new downsized luxury segment that has the automotive world chattering." -- Popular Mechanics (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Volvo XC60 has much more cargo space than the Evoque, and test drivers like its roomy, comfortable rear seats. Though not especially agile, reviewers write that the XC60 has a compliant ride and composed handling.
Test drivers like the Acura RDX's sporty handling, powerful V6 engine and abundance of standard features. It also has more cargo space than the Evoque and earns points with reviewers for its spacious seating in the front and rear.
Details: 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque seats up to five, has standard all-wheel drive and is available in either a two- or four-door body style. Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission, which is new for the 2014 model year and replaces last year's six-speed unit. There are six trim levels, ranging from the base Pure trim to the top Dynamic trim. Other than the new transmission, the Evoque is largely unchanged since it debuted for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012, 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
- View the best prices for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
- Search used Land Rover Range Rover Evoque for sale (726 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings