Land Rover Range Rover Sport Review
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport ranks 1 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Land Rover Range Rover Sport, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport is ranked:
With an opulent interior, agile handling, a comfortable ride and tremendous off-road capability, reviewers agree that the redesigned 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport is an excellent luxury midsize SUV.
The 2014 Range Rover Sport comes standard with a supercharged V6 engine that reviewers say produces ample power in all driving situations. Still, most prefer the optional supercharged V8 for its added thrust. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers say that it makes great use of the engine’s power. Fuel economy is rated as high as 17/23 mpg city/highway, according to the EPA, which is somewhat low for the class. Reviewers are impressed with the redesigned Range Rover Sport's comfortable ride and agile handling, in addition to its great off-road capability. The Range Rover Sport's steering is praised for its accuracy and heft, and the brakes are deemed plenty strong.
Reviewers are impressed with the Range Rover Sport's cabin, saying the design is upscale and modern, with high-quality materials used throughout. Most agree that the first- and second-row seats are comfortable and spacious, while the optional third row is only suitable for kids or for shorter trips. The 2014 Range Rover Sport offers less cargo space than what many other luxury midsize SUVs offer. Notable standard features include a backup camera, dual-zone automatic climate control and a touch-screen infotainment system. Some reviewers don't seem to mind the infotainment controls, while others say that the system is sometimes slow to respond. Major options include tri- or quad-zone climate control, a reviewer-liked 360-degree camera system that gives the driver an unimpeded view around the vehicle and a 19-speaker Meridian sound system.
- "Do I Want One? Absolutely. Whether you are a new or a returning customer you'll be impressed with the levels of refinement, increased quality level inside and much sportier overall performance in the new Range Rover Sport." -- AutoWeek
- "The company has addressed all these issues in the fully redesigned 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport. It should be right up your alley if you're looking for a do-it-all utility vehicle loaded with high-end ambience." -- Edmunds
- "If the local Land Rover dealer is waiting to receive your six-figure wire transfer for a new full-size Range Rover, you'll want to stop payment. Like, right now. Unless your crew demands the legroom of Virgin Upper Class, simply change your order to a new Range Rover Sport. The Sport is quicker, sexier, and strikes the ride/handling balance better than just about any SUV. Oh yeah, it also scrambles up a muddy two-track like a boss and costs less than its larger stablemate, too. The new Ranger Rover Sport is the business." -- Road and Track
- "With standout styling and an aura of exclusivity, the Range Rover Sport seems to inspire more lust than its more familiar BMW, Audi and even Porsche competitors. And with a 2014 redesign, the new model is even more deserving of that desire. Now more stylish, more capable and 800 pounds lighter, the 2014 Range Rover Sport is as distinct as ever, but improved fuel economy and an available 3rd-row seat also make it a more viable alternative to more common (but less pricy) midsize luxury SUVs like the BMW X5 and Audi Q7." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you're in the market for a luxury SUV, the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport is a perfect blend of luxury, performance and off-road capability." -- MSN
Other SUVs to Consider
The Acura MDX may be a better choice if you want more cargo space. Reviewers agree that the MDX has a comfortable, refined ride, and a high-quality interior. It may not have as much power as the Range Rover Sport, but it earns a significantly better fuel economy estimate.
The Porsche Cayenne doesn’t have the off-road credibility of the Range Rover Sport, but reviewers agree that this five-seat SUV has great handling, ample power and a luxurious interior worthy of wearing the Porsche crest.
Details: 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
The 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport seats five, and an optional third row boosts seating capacity to seven. Full-time four-wheel drive and a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine are standard and a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 is optional. Both engines come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Range Rover Sport comes in four trims: SE, HSE, Supercharged and Autobiography. The Range Rover Sport is fully redesigned for 2014.
Next Steps: Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- View the best prices for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- Search used Land Rover Range Rover Sport for sale (749 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings