Land Rover Range Rover Performance
Reviewers write that the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover accelerates rapidly, especially the more powerful Supercharged trim. The Range Rover also earns praise for its comfortable ride on paved roads, composed handling through turns and uncanny off-road capability.
- "No matter which engine you choose, the Range Rover is fast -- very fast. But the overarching impression here is one of world-class refinement. Whether you're making time in the fast lane or gliding across sand dunes in the desert, the Range Rover remains cool, calm and collected." -- AutoTrader
- "So you do that a few times and then calm down, and start to notice other benefits of that lighter, stiffer unibody, such as the quick, alert steering or the astonishing air-sprung ride quality, which manages to be both connected and isolated at once." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "This was where the Range Rover's weight loss was most evident, and where the Range Rover instantly transformed itself from off-roader to sport sedan, demonstrating a level of surefootedness, body control, steering precision, and brake pedal response that are a new frontier for the brand." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "I got to sample the Range Rover in both on-road and off-road, and it did remarkably well regardless of what was thrown at it." -- Jalopnik (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Range Rover comes standard with a new supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces 340 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. A supercharged 5.0-liter V8 is optional, which produces 510 horsepower and 461 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 17/23 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class.
Test drivers say that the base Range Rover has impressive acceleration, but most note that the V8 makes the Range Rover even faster, with effortless and rapid acceleration. They also note that the eight-speed transmission responds quickly, which helps the Range Rover make short work of highway passing maneuvers.
- "The supercharged V8 model we tested had excellent acceleration, with the ability to leap to 60 mph in a sports-car-like 5.1 seconds. Even V6 models are no slouches, with the oomph to hit that mark in 7.1 seconds." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Indeed, the Range Rover Supercharged is a hooligan's delight when you're feeling frisky, though the gas pedal response is a bit abrupt, which can make it difficult to drive this powerful SUV gracefully." -- Edmunds
- "The new Range Rover gets ZF's latest 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, and as far as traditional slushboxes go, it doesn't really get much better than this. We've seen this tranny before and it's equally impressive here. Slam your foot on the gas and watch it kick down five gears at once to blow past 18-wheelers at your leisure." -- Jalopnik (2013)
- "In Supercharged form, the Range Rover plays tricks with your mind; it's hard to get your head around how quickly and effortlessly this big SUV gains speed. It's unrelentingly ferocious, and Land Rover cites a zero-to-60-mph time of 5.1 seconds, which is 0.8 seconds quicker than the prior Supercharged version." -- Cars.com (2013)
Handling and Braking
The Range Rover has a comfortable ride over rough pavement and poised handling, with minimal body lean through turns, according to auto journalists. They say that the Supercharged trim's Dynamic Response system further minimizes body roll through turns and makes the Range Rover feel solidly connected to the road. The brakes are also praised for their stopping power and great pedal feel. Test drivers say that the steering is well-weighted for low-speed maneuvering such as navigating through parking lots or off-roading, but feels a bit heavy while driving at faster speeds.
- "The standard air suspension keeps the ride smooth on just about any surface, while a variety of electronic aids keep you on course in corners." -- AutoTrader
- "Despite its tall profile, the Range Rover feels composed in corners." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Also, the steering, which is light and precise at low speeds (which makes for easy maneuvering around town), gets somewhat heavy at highway speeds." -- Edmunds
- "Land Rover nailed the brakes on the new car. Simply put, they're awesome. The Range Rover uses six-pot Brembo brakes with big ol' 15-inch rotors, and pedal travel and feel are excellent." -- Jalopnik (2013)
- "The 2013 Range Rover retains some classic SUV characteristics, like a tendency to dive when coming to a stop, but it also feels secure and confident on the highway, and the Range Rover handles well for a large SUV. In Supercharged form, the Range Rover has an active air suspension system that keeps body roll in check when cornering - much more so than many large SUVs." -- Cars.com (2013)
The Range Rover comes standard with four-wheel drive and Land Rover's Terrain Response system, which lets the driver choose drive modes for different types of terrain, including snow, mud and ruts, sand and rock. An upgraded version of the system that can automatically detect the terrain type, called Terrain Response 2, is optional. Reviewers praise the Range Rover for its off-roading abilities, including its ability to ford nearly 3 feet of water and climb difficult trails with confidence and ease.
- "Off-road, the Range Rover is truly spectacular, as it pounds through sand, slogs through mud, creeps over downed trees and walks up rocky trails that could be difficult even on foot." -- Edmunds
- "Though the majority of drivers probably won't use the Range Rover's low-range gearing to claw up mountains or take advantage of its adjustable ground clearance to wade nearly three feet of water, this SUV has the capability to push far beyond civilization." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Following my spotters' directions carefully, the new Range Rover tiptoes up and down impossible looking rocky paths with the surefootedness of a Himalayan tahr." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Next Steps: Land Rover Range Rover
- View the best prices for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Land Rover Range Rover
- Search used Land Rover Range Rover for sale (2,966 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings