Land Rover Range Rover Performance
Test drivers write that the 2015 Land Rover Range Rover has strong acceleration and is exceedingly quick with the available V8 engine. They add that the Range Rover has a smooth, comfortable ride, composed handling and excellent off-road ability.
- "No matter which engine you choose, the Range Rover is fast -- very fast. But the overarching impression here is one of world-class refinement. Whether you're making time in the fast lane or gliding across sand dunes in the desert, the Range Rover remains cool, calm and collected." -- AutoTrader
- "So you do that a few times and then calm down, and start to notice other benefits of that lighter, stiffer unibody, such as the quick, alert steering or the astonishing air-sprung ride quality, which manages to be both connected and isolated at once." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "This was where the Range Rover's weight loss was most evident, and where the Range Rover instantly transformed itself from off-roader to sport sedan, demonstrating a level of surefootedness, body control, steering precision, and brake pedal response that are a new frontier for the brand." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "I got to sample the Range Rover in both on-road and off-road, and it did remarkably well regardless of what was thrown at it." -- Jalopnik (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Land Rover Range Rover comes standard with a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that makes 340 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. A supercharged 5.0-liter V8 engine is available, which produces 510 horsepower and 461 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard with either engine. According to the EPA, the base 2015 Range Rover gets 17/23 mpg city/highway, which is great for the class.
Auto journalists say that the V6 produces decent acceleration, but a few think that this model struggles at times due to the Range Rover’s weight. They are more impressed with the V8-powered model, praising its incredibly fast acceleration. Critics think the eight-speed automatic transmission is one of the best in the class, with responsive downshifts for easy highway passing maneuvers.
- "The 2015 Range Rover's entry-level supercharged V6 is a fine engine in its own right, but it's a little outmatched when faced with motivating the Range Rover's imposing mass." -- Edmunds
- "The supercharged V8 model we tested had excellent acceleration, with the ability to leap to 60 mph in a sports-car-like 5.1 seconds. Even V6 models are no slouches, with the oomph to hit that mark in 7.1 seconds." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "The new Range Rover gets ZF's latest 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, and as far as traditional slushboxes go, it doesn't really get much better than this. We've seen this tranny before and it's equally impressive here. Slam your foot on the gas and watch it kick down five gears at once to blow past 18-wheelers at your leisure." -- Jalopnik (2013)
- "In Supercharged form, the Range Rover plays tricks with your mind; it's hard to get your head around how quickly and effortlessly this big SUV gains speed. It's unrelentingly ferocious, and Land Rover cites a zero-to-60-mph time of 5.1 seconds, which is 0.8 seconds quicker than the prior Supercharged version." -- Cars.com (2013)
Handling and Braking
Automotive journalists find that the 2015 Range Rover has a very smooth ride, thanks to its standard air suspension. They add that it has controlled handling and exhibits less body lean in corners than most other large SUVs. Some note that the steering is accurate during city driving, but gets too heavy at higher speeds. Reviewers say that the Range Rover’s brakes bring the SUV to a stop easily and securely.
- "The standard air suspension keeps the ride smooth on just about any surface, while a variety of electronic aids keep you on course in corners." -- AutoTrader
- "Either way, we suggest paying close attention to the steering during your test-drive -- although it's light and precise around town, we've found it gets somewhat heavy at highway speeds." -- Edmunds
- "Despite its tall profile, the Range Rover feels composed in corners." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Land Rover nailed the brakes on the new car. Simply put, they're awesome. The Range Rover uses six-pot Brembo brakes with big ol' 15-inch rotors, and pedal travel and feel are excellent." -- Jalopnik (2013)
- "The 2013 Range Rover retains some classic SUV characteristics, like a tendency to dive when coming to a stop, but it also feels secure and confident on the highway, and the Range Rover handles well for a large SUV. In Supercharged form, the Range Rover has an active air suspension system that keeps body roll in check when cornering - much more so than many large SUVs." -- Cars.com (2013)
The 2015 Range Rover comes standard with permanent four-wheel drive and Land Rover’s Terrain Response system, which lets you select different drive modes based on terrain, such as snow, mud and ruts and sand. The Range Rover is available with Terrain Response 2, which selects the best drive mode automatically. Reviewers applaud the Range Rover’s off-road abilities, saying it can trek through land that most other luxury SUVs would have to avoid.
- "Off-road, of course, the 2015 Range Rover is very capable, easily powering through challenging terrain that would stop most luxury SUVs in their tracks." -- Edmunds
- "Though the majority of drivers probably won't use the Range Rover's low-range gearing to claw up mountains or take advantage of its adjustable ground clearance to wade nearly three feet of water, this SUV has the capability to push far beyond civilization." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Following my spotters' directions carefully, the new Range Rover tiptoes up and down impossible looking rocky paths with the surefootedness of a Himalayan tahr." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Next Steps: Land Rover Range Rover
- View the best prices for the 2015 Land Rover Range Rover
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Land Rover Range Rover
- Search used Land Rover Range Rover for sale (1,898 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings