Lexus GS Hybrid Review
The 2014 Lexus GS Hybrid ranks 9 out of 14 Luxury Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus GS Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say the 2014 Lexus GS Hybrid has strong acceleration, premium interior materials and excellent fuel economy, though its infotainment system can be difficult to use.
The GS Hybrid has a V6 engine and two electric motors that are mated to a continuously variable transmission. Reviewers say the 2014 GS Hybrid’s powertrain is smooth, quiet and surprisingly powerful. According to the EPA, the GS Hybrid gets 29/34 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for a luxury large car. Test drivers think the GS Hybrid provides the comfortable ride and reasonably agile handling they expect from a luxury large car, though they point out that the gas-only GS is slightly more nimble. As with many hybrid cars, some reviewers complain the GS Hybrid’s regenerative brakes don’t feel as smooth as conventional brakes, though other reviewers say they’re excellent and feel just like a non-hybrid braking system.
The Lexus GS Hybrid’s elegant design and top-notch materials, which include handsome wood trim and rich leather upholstery, impress reviewers. Critics are very impressed with the GS Hybrid’s supportive and roomy front seats. However, they write that some rivals have larger back seats, and most luxury large cars have larger trunks. Standard features in the 2014 GS Hybrid include a rearview camera, a USB port, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, satellite radio, a 12-speaker surround-sound audio system and an infotainment system with an 8-inch display and Lexus’ Remote Touch interface, which is a mouse-like controller that provides access to audio settings. Available features include a navigation system with a 12.3-inch display, a Mark Levinson 17-speaker premium surround-sound audio system, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert. Reviewers think the Remote Touch interface can be difficult to use at first. They love the 12.3-inch display, which is large enough to accommodate a split-screen display with, for instance, navigation maps on one side and audio settings on the other.
- "The 2014 Lexus GS 450h is unique in that it offers the features and performance expected of a midsize luxury sedan while delivering the big fuel economy numbers that many hybrid shoppers expect." -- Edmunds
- "Last, but certainly not least, is the 450h, which I found to be the most significant GS. Smoother, quieter, quicker, and more seamless than its predecessor, the 450h is an impressive engineering feat, offering the power and speed of the previous V-8 GS 460 combined with the fuel economy of the current 1.8-liter Corolla." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "I still don't believe hybrids are a good fit for a luxury model like this. While the Lexus CT 200h compact hatchback is a neat package, dropping a hybrid powertrain into a larger car like the GS yields mileage gains in a segment where shoppers don't worry as much about pain at the pump." -- Cars.com (2013)
- "The fuel economy was clearly the thing about the GS 450h that impressed us most, but the hybrid also benefits from all the styling, interior and chassis upgrades afforded the standard GS 350." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers love the passing power that the BMW 535d’s diesel engine provides, and they say that it is amazingly quiet. They also appreciate the 5-Series’ tasteful interior design and user-friendly infotainment system.
If you want excellent fuel economy, consider an Audi A6 with the base turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Reviewers love the A6’s agile handling and comfortable ride. Critics think the A6’s interior is beautiful, and they like that it’s available with neat tech features like Audi Connect, which turns your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Details: 2014 Lexus GS Hybrid
The 2014 Lexus GS 450h is a five-seat, rear-wheel drive sedan. It is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine and two electric motors, which are mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The gas-only Lexus GS is reviewed separately. Lexus redesigned the GS Hybrid for the 2013 model year and it sees few changes for 2014, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Lexus GS Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Lexus GS Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Lexus GS Hybrid for sale (2,543 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings