Lexus GS Hybrid Review
The 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid ranks 7 out of 17 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus GS Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid combines an elegant interior, potent acceleration and extraordinary fuel economy, according to auto writers.
The 2015 Lexus GS 450h is powered by a V6 engine and two electric motors, and critics say they provide robust acceleration. An automatic transmission (CVT) is standard. The 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 29/34 mpg city/highway, which is fantastic for an upscale midsize car. Test drivers note that the GS Hybrid has a comfortable ride and composed handling. Most test drivers think the GS Hybrid's regenerative brakes perform well, though a few comment that they don’t operate quite as smoothly as the brakes in non-hybrid cars, though this is a common criticism of regenerative brakes.
Automotive journalists report that the 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid’s cabin is luxurious and features excellent build quality and top-notch materials. The GS Hybrid’s front seats are supportive, according to critics, and its rear seats have sufficient head- and legroom. The GS Hybrid has a smaller trunk than most upscale midsize cars, but its trunk capacity is good for a hybrid sedan. Standard features in the 2015 Lexus GS 450h include leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, a rearview camera and an infotainment system that includes an 8-inch display, Lexus’ Remote Touch controller, Siri Eyes Free iPhone integration, a USB port and Bluetooth. Available features include heated rear seats, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, a head-up display, parallel parking assist, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic braking, a 17-speaker Mark Levinson surround-sound audio system and an upgraded infotainment system with navigation, a 12.3-inch display screen and the Lexus Enform App Suite. Critics write that it can be difficult to change settings on the infotainment screen with Lexus’ Remote Touch controller.
- "In the 2015 GS 350 and 450h luxury-performance sedans, Lexus has created a 4-door luxury car with a coupe-like appearance, a long list of impressive luxury attributes and a healthy dose of performance and technology features." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Lexus GS 450h impresses with its strong performance, long list of features and luxury sedan refinement. It's the rare hybrid that doesn't force any significant compromises." -- Edmunds
- "Last, but certainly not least, is the 450h, which I found to be the most significant GS. Smoother, quieter, quicker, and more seamless than its predecessor, the 450h is an impressive engineering feat, offering the power and speed of the previous V-8 GS 460 combined with the fuel economy of the current 1.8-liter Corolla." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "I still don't believe hybrids are a good fit for a luxury model like this. While the Lexus CT 200h compact hatchback is a neat package, dropping a hybrid powertrain into a larger car like the GS yields mileage gains in a segment where shoppers don't worry as much about pain at the pump." -- Cars.com (2013)
Lexus GS Hybrid Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz E250 BlueTEC has a much lower price than the GS Hybrid, and it gets significantly better fuel economy on the highway. Critics appreciate its opulent interior materials, large back seat and spacious trunk.
The Audi A6 TDI is another diesel-powered luxury car that’s less expensive than the GS Hybrid and gets better highway fuel economy. Test drivers say it has strong acceleration and report that the A6 has one of the most attractive interiors in the class.
Details: 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid
The 2015 Lexus GS 450h is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine and two electric motors. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) and rear-wheel drive are standard. The GS Hybrid is available in one trim, though options are available. The non-hybrid GS 350 is reviewed separately. The GS Hybrid is available with a new F Sport package, and it gets an updated infotainment system for 2015. However, it hasn’t been fully redesigned since the 2013 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013, 2014 and 2015 models years.
Next Steps: Lexus GS Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Lexus GS Hybrid
- Search used Lexus GS Hybrid for sale (2,543 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals