Lexus GX Review
The 2015 Lexus GX ranks 16 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus GX, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Lexus GX is ranked:
The 2015 Lexus GX has great off-road capabilities, but most rivals offer sharper handling, stronger engines and more luxurious cabins, reviewers say.
Powering the 2015 Lexus GX is a V8 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers say that while the GX’s acceleration is adequate around town, it’s sluggish when getting up to higher speeds. Some critics think the six-speed automatic transmission operates smoothly, and others report that it can be slow to downshift. The EPA estimates that the 2015 Lexus GX 460 earns 15/20 mpg city/highway, which is less than what most rivals earn. Reviewers say the 2015 Lexus GX feels relatively composed around turns, and its optional adjustable suspension aids in reducing body roll. However, they agree that most rivals offer more nimble handling. The GX 460 comes standard with full-time four-wheel drive, an electric locking center differential and two-speed transfer case that reviewers say help make it a very good option for off-roading.
According to most reviewers, the 2015 Lexus GX’s interior is generally well-made. Still, some note that competitors like the BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz M-Class have more high-end cabin materials. A few are also disappointed that the GX 460 doesn’t come standard with leather upholstery. Test drivers say the Lexus GX has comfortable front seats. However, some wish its second-row seats were more comfortable, and most agree that the third row has just enough space for children, which is a common complaint in the class. Standard features include a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, a nine-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, two USB ports, an 8-inch touch-screen display, Siri Eyes Free for iPhone and satellite radio. Available features include a 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, navigation, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, parallel park assist, adaptive cruise control, a dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system and tri-zone automatic climate control. Automotive journalists say that despite there being lots of buttons on the dashboard, they’re clearly labeled and easy to use. Most also agree that the navigation and infotainment system are straightforward, but some say the navigation screen washes out in bright sunlight. The 2015 Lexus GX 460 has 64.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which is less than what most rivals offer. Reviewers also complain that the GX 460’s side-hinged cargo door makes it difficult to load items when parallel parked near a curb. However, they like that the cargo door has a top-hinged glass window panel, which allows for easy storage of long items.
- “If the terms ‘low-range gearing,’ ‘locking center differential’ and ‘crawl control’ sound like foreign language, you likely won't be using the Lexus GX 460 for serious off-roading. In that case, you'll appreciate the more refined on-road manners and better fuel efficiency of one of its luxury crossover SUV rivals." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A traditional midsize SUV with three rows of seating, the 2015 Lexus GX 460 is capable off-road, yet manages to coddle its occupants on pavement. Still, most crossover SUVs offer better on-road performance and passenger comfort." -- Edmunds
- "With a leather-lined interior as well as robust body-on-frame construction, the GX 460 is Lexus' answer to those seeking a cushy SUV that can still perform off-road when necessary." -- Left Lane News
- "Of course, Lexus has made sure that the GX feels at home in civilization, too. Thanks to a soft suspension, a slew of fancy features and standard 3-row seating, the GX can certainly play the part of a high-end family vehicle. We're surprised that Lexus didn't use richer interior materials in this expensive SUV, but the mellifluous V8 engine provides some consolation. Just don't expect carlike handling in corners. The GX is an old-school SUV that's happiest when it's pointed straight ahead." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Lexus GX Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mercedes-Benz M-Class impresses reviewers with its handsome cabin that they say features high-quality materials. The available diesel M-Class earns reviewer praise for its powerful engine and great fuel economy. Additionally, the M-Class has much more overall cargo space than the GX.
Automotive writers praise the Land Rover Range Rover for its exceptionally powerful available supercharged V8 engine. They say the Range Rover has sharp handling on the pavement and excellent off-road capabilities. Additionally, they like its luxurious cabin.
Details: 2015 Lexus GX
The 2015 Lexus GX 460 seats seven and has standard four-wheel drive. A 4.6-liter V8 engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. There are three trims available: base, Premium and Luxury. The GX 460 was redesigned in 2010 and receives few updates this year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Lexus GX
- View the best prices for the 2015 Lexus GX
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Lexus GX
- Search used Lexus GX for sale (2,073 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals