Lexus GX Interior
Test drivers say the 2015 Lexus GX’s interior is well-built. However, they note that some rivals come with more upscale materials, including standard leather upholstery. According to automotive journalists, the Lexus GX 460’s first- and second-row seats are comfortable for adults. However, they say its third row is cramped, with only enough space for children. Reviewers agree that the Lexus GX 460’s dashboard buttons, navigation and infotainment system are easy to use. The Lexus GX 460 has less cargo space than most rivals, and test drivers say its side-hinged door complicates loading items.
- "It's hard to find fault with the quality of the soft leather and genuine wood trim that are standard in the top-of-the-line Luxury model, but the switch from leather to leatherette (premium vinyl) upholstery in the base model could be seen as being somewhat low-rent for a vehicle in this price range." -- Edmunds
- "Inside, the GX 460 delivers what one would expect of a Lexus - fine leather upholstery, wood trim and elegant lines, albeit integrated into a more upright, truck-like design than most of the luxury brand's other models." -- Left Lane News
- "Save for the BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz M-Class, materials quality is on par with other midsize luxury SUVs." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "In particular, the dashboard doesn't look or feel like it belongs in a vehicle costing more than $50,000. Still, everything seems screwed together reasonably well, and Lexus's trademark electroluminescent gauges serve as a reminder that this is more than just a Toyota." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Lexus GX Pictures
The Lexus GX seats up to seven people in three rows. Leatherette upholstery and 10-way power-adjustable front seats are standard. Leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats and heated second-row seats are available. Automotive journalists say the front seats are generally comfortable. A few also point out that drivers can easily find a comfortable position. However, critics say that the GX 460’s second-row seats offer limited cushioning, and its third row can only comfortably accommodate children.
- "Front seats are plenty comfortable, but the hard and flat second-row bench is noticeably less so. The third-row seats are suitable for children only." -- Edmunds
- "Second-row legroom is adequate for adults, though the third row is best left for children." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "After negotiating the high step-in, occupants will find plenty of space and a commanding seating position. GX 460's standard power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel and power-adjustable seats should allow any size driver to find a comfortable set up. About the only complaint up front is that headroom can get tight for the very tall." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The 2015 Lexus GX 460 comes equipped with a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, a nine-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, two USB ports, Siri Eyes Free for iPhone, an 8-inch touch-screen display and satellite radio. Available features include a 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, navigation, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, parallel park assist, adaptive cruise control, a dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system and tri-zone automatic climate control.
Reviewers agree that although the GX 460’s dashboard features lots of buttons, they are clearly labeled and easy to operate. Some also say that the infotainment system and navigation are straightforward. Still, some report that the navigation screen can wash out in bright sunlight.
- "Lexus' latest infotainment system comes with a user-friendly touch screen and auxiliary hard-button controls." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Also, while the GX 460's central control panel has a lot of buttons, they're clearly marked in large white type, so there are no ergonomic snafus to report." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Large, clearly lit instruments are easy to read, and nearly all the other controls are logically marked and handy to use. The navigation system isn't too hard to master, but sunshine can make it hard to see what's displayed on the screen." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The lengthy features list translates into a somewhat busy-looking control panel, but these controls are easy to use thanks to intuitive placement. The gauges are easily read, as is the optional navigation system." -- Edmunds (2013)
The Lexus GX offers 64.7 cubic feet of cargo space with the second- and third-row seats folded, which is less than what most competitors offer. Reviewers complain that the GX 460's side-hinged cargo door makes it more difficult to load items than traditional liftgates when parked alongside a curb. Still, automotive writers appreciate that the cargo door features a top-hinged glass window panel, which aids in stowing long items.
- "Folding the second- and third-row seats down creates a cargo hold with 64.7 cubic feet of space, which is a bit underwhelming given the GX's bulk. Accessing that space can be complicated in curbside loading situations by the swing-out rear door that's hinged on the passenger side. However, the gate includes a convenient, lift-up rear glass window that makes it easier to carry long items like surfboards or lumber." -- Edmunds
- "When it comes time to carry cargo, folding down the 2nd and 3rd row seats results in a sizable 92 cubic inches of stowage space." -- Left Lane News
- "GX 460's swing-out rear cargo door is hinged on the passenger side, which isn't very handy when you've parallel parked next to a curb. Helping matters somewhat is the small hydraulic rod that holds it open at any angle. A top-hinged opening rear window helps a bit too. In-cabin storage is nothing special." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "In place of a versatile rear liftgate, the GX continues to use an outmoded barn-door-style, side-hinged rear door that can complicate loading and unloading cargo at the curb or in tight garages." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Next Steps: Lexus GX
- View the best prices for the 2015 Lexus GX
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Lexus GX
- Search used Lexus GX for sale (2,073 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals