Lexus LS Review
The 2015 Lexus LS ranks 5 out of 6 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus LS, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Lexus LS is one of the smoothest-riding cars in its class, but its acceleration and handling aren’t up to the standards of its European counterparts, critics say.
Test drivers write that the 2015 Lexus LS 460’s V8 engine has sufficient power, but they say it feels weak compared with the turbocharged engines in most of its rivals. Others comment that the LS 460’s eight-speed automatic transmission shifts slowly. The hybrid LS 600h L has a larger V8 engine and two electric motors. It’s more powerful than the LS 460 but also heavier, and auto writers say it feels slower as a result. According to the EPA, the 2015 LS 460 gets 16/24 mpg city/highway, which is slightly low for the class. The Lexus LS Hybrid gets 19/23 mpg city/highway, which is poor compared to what rivals like the BMW 7-Series Hybrid and diesel Audi A8 L earn. Reviewers are very impressed with the LS’ supple, whisper-quiet ride, but they say it has dull handling compared to rivals.
With top-notch materials and excellent build quality, automotive journalists agree that the interior of the 2015 Lexus LS is very luxurious. They note that supportive front seats add to the opulence, as do the spacious rear seats, particularly in long-wheelbase (L) models with the available massaging and reclining features. Standard features include leather upholstery, push-button start, a rearview camera and an infotainment system with a 12.3-inch display, Lexus’ Remote Touch controller, navigation, smartphone integration, Bluetooth, satellite radio and a USB port. Available features include heated and cooled front seats, power-adjustable rear seats with heating, cooling and massaging features, a rear-seat Blu-ray entertainment system, a rear-seat cool box, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, active lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, driver drowsiness monitoring and a 19-speaker Mark Levinson surround-sound audio system. Many critics say the Remote Touch infotainment controller can be distracting and difficult to use.
- "The entry point of the range, the LS 460, is a comfortable cruiser that delivers a smooth ride, ample interior space and all the luxury trimmings that one could desire." -- Left Lane News
- "Although the 2015 Lexus LS is tough to beat when it comes to refinement and technology, it's not particularly engaging to drive. The BMW 7 Series, Audi A8 and Porsche Panamera are consistently more entertaining to drive, while the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class is almost a class apart." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Lexus LS 460 embodies everything you'd expect in the ultimate Lexus luxury sedan. It is whisper-quiet, well built and fantastically luxurious. Compared with its European counterparts, though, it's nowhere near as quick or engaging to drive." -- Edmunds
- "The LS460 showed itself as a pleasing performer with decent passenger room, excellent appointments, and a high level of standard conveniences-with plenty more available to those willing to spend a bit more." -- Consumer Guide (2014)
Lexus LS Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers say the Audi A8 has athletic handling, a user-friendly infotainment system and an incredibly attractive interior. The diesel-powered A8 L TDI gets much better fuel economy than the hybrid LS 600h L and costs quite a bit less.
The base BMW 7-Series gets better fuel economy than the base LS, and reviewers write that it delivers plenty of power and a more engaging driving experience. Critics also like the 7-Series' straightforward infotainment controls.
Details: 2015 Lexus LS
The 2015 Lexus LS seats up to five and comes in LS 460, LS 460 F Sport and long-wheelbase LS 460 L and hybrid LS 600h L trims. LS 460 models come with a 4.6-liter V8 engine, an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. The F Sport model has a number of performance upgrades, including a sport-tuned suspension and larger wheels. The LS 600h L has a 5.0-liter V8, two electric motors, a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and standard all-wheel drive. The Lexus LS has seen few major changes since it was last fully redesigned in 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013, 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Lexus LS
- View the best prices for the 2015 Lexus LS
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Lexus LS
- Search used Lexus LS for sale (2,497 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals