Lexus LX Review
The 2014 Lexus LX ranks 3 out of 9 Luxury Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus LX, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Lexus LX is ranked:
The Lexus LX 570 impresses reviewers with its high-quality cabin, comfortable ride and great off-road capability.
The 2014 Lexus LX 570 comes with a V8 engine that reviewers say has more than enough power for merging or passing on the freeway. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, which reviewers praise for its smooth shifts. Fuel economy is a bit low for the class, at an EPA-estimated 12/17 mpg city/highway. Reviewers say that the LX 570 excels at off-roading and has a comfortable ride on paved roads. Test drivers aren't as impressed with the LX 570's handling, as some note excessive body lean while cornering. Test drivers think that the LX 570's steering is very light. Some say that the light steering makes the LX 570 easy to maneuver in tight space, while others say that a large turning circle limits maneuverability.
The 2014 LX 570's interior is made with upscale materials and has good build quality, according to test drivers, although some note that the cabin isn't as lavish as that of a Land Rover. The LX 570's front seats are praised for being soft and comfortable. According to some critics, the middle-row seats are mounted a bit too low for comfort, but legroom is plentiful. The LX 570's cargo space is limited for the class, and test drivers dislike that the third-row seats don't fold easily into the floor as they do in many rivals. Test drivers note that the LX 570's touch-screen navigation and stereo interface is very easy to use. The LX 570 comes standard with a nine-speaker stereo, navigation with an 8-inch touch screen, satellite radio, HD Radio, four-zone climate control and a backup camera. Options include a 19-speaker Mark Levinson stereo system, a rear-seat entertainment system, wide-view front and side cameras and adaptive cruise control.
- "Given its lofty price and utilitarian roots, the 2014 LX certainly isn't for everyone. But if you like the idea of an ultra-luxurious 3-row SUV with legendary skills in the dirt, the LX 570 is one of a select few vehicles that fit the bill." -- AutoTrader
- "Though it can't match the space or handling refinement of some competitors, it's nevertheless plenty civilized in most driving situations while offering an even more coddling interior than the already opulent Land Cruiser." -- Left Lane News
- "Offering both refinement and brute force, the LX can comfortably shuttle its passengers while simultaneously getting down and dirty." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's an impressive truck. You don't see many around and I can see why what with the sticker price and all, but if you want luxury in your big ute, it's this, the Range Rover (with no third row) or the QX56." -- AutoWeek (2013)
- "Those worried about their comfort now and Armageddon later may want to look to the LX570. This V-8-powered elephant stuffs an interior befitting the LS sedan into the already luxurious confines of a Toyota Land Cruiser and manages to meld the two concepts quite convincingly." -- Car and Driver (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Toyota Land Cruiser is mechanically similar to the LX 570, and it costs a bit less. Like the LX 570, the Land Cruiser earns praise for its off-roading capability and luxurious cabin appointments.
Test drivers say the Land Rover Range Rover is a great off-road SUV with one of the most opulent interiors in the segment. Auto journalists agree that the Range Rover feels quick on its feet, especially when equipped with the optional supercharged V8.
Details: 2014 Lexus LX 570
The 2014 Lexus LX 570 seats eight and has standard four-wheel drive. A 5.7-liter V8 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. There is one well-equipped trim level, though there are some stand-alone options. The LX was refreshed for the 2013 model year, but is otherwise largely unchanged since the 2008 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2008 to 2014 model years.