2009 Lexus LX Performance
This performance review was created when the car was new. Some links may no longer point to an active page.
Reviewers are convinced that the 2009 Lexus LX can handle whatever drivers throw at it and then some. In particular, reviewers appreciate the LX's powerful engine and maneuverability, which is good for a large SUV.
- "Based on the Toyota Land Cruiser, the LX 570 gives drivers a competent, if not masterful, off-road performance. With Lexus' reputation for craftsmanship, ride quality and countless amenities, drivers can also expect a well-mannered conveyance back in civilization." -- Edmunds
- "Like most LX 570 drivers, I never tested the vehicle's real off-road prowess, though I have no doubt it would perform quite well." -- Detroit Free Press
Acceleration and Power
The 2009 Lexus LX is powered by a 5.7 liter V8 engine that most reviewers say has plenty of power on hand, as well as refined power delivery. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and according to some reviewers, nearly flawless.
- "When you do stretch that right foot, the 383-horsepower, 5.7-liter V-8 awakens and launches the SUV down the highway. Passing isn't a concern here. Even with all that power, the LX is always refined, thanks to the six-speed automatic transmission." -- Cars.com
- "LX 570's muscular V8 and smooth, responsive transmission deliver good highway-speed passing punch." -- Consumer Guide
- "The six-speed automatic transmission remains silky smooth despite the high torque numbers. There's a manual override on the system for downshifting or sportier driving, though most of the time that feels unnecessary." -- Detroit Free Press
Handling and Braking
According to most reviewers, the 2009 Lexus LX 570 is easy to live with, despite its large size. The ride is Lexus-quiet and smooth, while the LX drives relatively nimbly for a full-size SUV. Though some complain that the steering is a little too light, that's only a small complaint among many compliments. An adjustable suspension lets drivers choose between comfort, sport, and in-between ride settings.
- "There's one chief expectation drivers have when hopping into most Lexus vehicles - that it will have a quiet, comfortable ride. That is indeed the case with the LX 570. Despite giving this SUV a powerful engine, Lexus knows what its buyers want: They want to ride on a magic carpet." -- Cars.com
- "We found the Sport setting to be stiff, but it made the LX 570 agile enough for slower, curvy roads, and even the default setting was on the firmer side. The Comfort setting was perfect for everyday driving while still providing a stable ride." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The steering is too light for our tastes but is quick and has good feedback. Fairly tight turn radius aids maneuverability. Stable highway feel and fairly modest cornering lean, but high build and hefty weight demand lots of slowing for tighter bends. The brakes have ample stopping control with progressive, well-weighted pedal action." -- Consumer Guide
- "While it has the raw power to muscle its way through most problems, it uses a much more sophisticated approach." -- Detroit Free Press