Lexus RX Hybrid Review
The 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid ranks 1 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 33 published reviews and test drives of the Lexus RX Hybrid, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid is ranked:
The 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid provides outstanding fuel economy in a luxurious package.
The 2013 Lexus RX is powered by a combination of an electric motor and a 3.5-liter V6 engine. Together, the two make 295 horsepower. Test drivers say that the RX hybrid has good power for most situations, although its acceleration isn't blisteringly fast. Handling in the RX, according to most reviewers, is decent. The ride is comfortable, with accurate steering, but reviewers agree that the RX hybrid doesn't inspire the urge to tear up back roads. With up to 32 mpg in the city, the RX Hybrid has excellent fuel economy for an SUV and some of the best reliability ratings in the class.
The Lexus RX Hybrid is the 2013 Best Hybrid SUV for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class.
The cabin in the 2013 Lexus RX hybrid is quiet and luxurious, most reviewers say. The RX hybrid seats five and the majority of reviewers report that the seats are comfortable. Reviewers are impressed with the upscale materials in the RX Hybrid and like that high-tech features, like Bluetooth and an iPod interface, are standard. Available features include an upgraded stereo and a navigation system. A few reviewers say the joystick-like controller for the navigation takes some getting used to.
- "There are certainly more entertaining, attractive and powerful ways to transport five people and their weekend getaway gear, but that's never been what the RX is about. Simply put, it's about the destination, not the drive. And because of that, the RX will continue to define the segment without ruffling the feathers of public's consciousness." -- Autoblog
- "Though expensive compared to the non-hybrid RX, the 2013 Lexus RX 450h delivers on its promise of impressive fuel economy, utility, power and luxury." -- Edmunds
- "RX has a winning blend of luxurious comfort, practicality, and build quality while adding welcome high-tech features. … This Lexus was one of the first premium-midsize crossover SUVs, and it remains one of the best. If you're considering such a vehicle, put this one near the top of your list.” -- Consumer Guide
- "There's no question that legions of converts to the Lexus RX fold will be happy should they choose the 2013 Hybrid as their next step down the battery-powered path. The crossover is a reasonable performer, coddles occupants with a long list of luxury equipment, and consumes substantially less fuel in all situations. " -- Autobytel
Other SUVs to Consider
The 2013 Porsche Cayenne has much sportier performance than the Lexus RX Hybrid, and the Cayenne is available with either a diesel engine that gets up to 29 mpg on the highway, or a hybrid powertrain that gets 20 mpg in the city. That's not great compared to the RX Hybrid's fuel economy numbers, but the Cayenne has much more powerful engines.
The 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid is a bit smaller on the inside than the RX Hybrid, but because it's smaller, it comes close to matching the RX Hybrid's fuel economy. The Q5 Hybrid gets 24 mpg in the city and 30 on the highway. The RX does better on gas in the city but worse on the highway. If you do more highway than city driving, the Q5 Hybrid may be a better choice.
Details: The 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid
The 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid seats five and comes with front- or all-wheel drive. A V6 engine is standard and paired with an electric motor and electronically controlled continuously variable transmission. For 2013, the RX Hybrid gets slightly updated look, a standard USB port/iPod interface, and standard sport mode. As there are no major changes, this overview uses applicable research from 2010 to 2013.
Next Steps: Lexus RX Hybrid
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Lexus RX Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Lexus RX Hybrid
- Search used Lexus RX Hybrid for sale (4,860 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings