Lexus RX Hybrid Review
The 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid ranks 1 out of 17 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lexus RX Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid is ranked:
In addition to a hushed ride and well-constructed interior, reviewers say the 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid delivers outstanding fuel economy and abundant cargo space for the class.
Test drivers report the V6 engine and electric motors that power the 2015 Lexus RX 450h produce ample punch. The automatic transmission works well according to some, but others say it isn't particularly responsive. The 2015 RX Hybrid's fuel economy is great for the class, earning an EPA-estimated 32/28 mpg city/highway. Auto journalists write that the RX 450h rides comfortably and has controlled handling, but most agree that it lacks the agility of other rivals. Additionally, critics note that the RX Hybrid's brakes offer inconsistent pedal feel, which could make it hard to stop smoothly.
Critics say the 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid has a quiet interior, with premium materials and top-notch construction. Some find the front seats comfortable over long trips, while others say they aren't especially supportive. They concur that the rear seats are supportive. The RX 450h has ample cargo space for the class, auto journalists say. Standard features include proximity key, dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, a USB port, a rearview camera and a Display Audio system with a 7-inch display screen. Options include a 15-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, Siri Eyes Free smartphone integration, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, a rear-seat entertainment system and navigation with Lexus' Remote Touch controller. Several critics comment that Remote Touch is distracting and find that the mouse-like controller does not operate very precisely.
- "The Lexus RX is a midsize luxury crossover with a well-trimmed interior, a comfortable ride and a reputation for reliability." -- Left Lane News
- "The RX 450h succeeds because it delivers the key strengths one would hope to find in a luxury hybrid SUV: superlative mileage, refined performance, an accommodating cabin and a wealth of standard amenities." -- Edmunds
- "RX has a winning blend of luxurious comfort, practicality, and build quality while adding welcome high-tech features. … This Lexus was one of the first premium-midsize crossover SUVs, and it remains one of the best. If you're considering such a vehicle, put this one near the top of your list." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Porsche Cayenne is available in a plug-in electric hybrid trim, which is new for 2015, and test drivers say this model has very strong acceleration. Reviewers like the Cayenne's opulent cabin and say it is one of the sportiest SUVs in the class.
The diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz ML250 BlueTec gets great fuel economy, and it has a lot of cargo space for the class. Test drivers say the M-Class has exceptional rear-seat legroom and that its standard COMAND infotainment controller is easy to master.
Details: 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid
The 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid seats five and comes with standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive. A 3.5-liter V6 engine, electric motors and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) are standard. There is one trim level and a number of option packages. The gas-only Lexus RX 350 is reviewed separately. The Lexus RX 450h carries into 2015 with few major changes from its last redesign for the 2010 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Lexus RX Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Lexus RX Hybrid
- Search used Lexus RX Hybrid for sale (10,383 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings