Lincoln MKZ Review
The 2016 Lincoln MKZ ranks 17 out of 17 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Lincoln MKZ, as well as reliability and safety data.
Though the 2016 Lincoln MKZ has a comfortable ride and an attractive cabin, it's outclassed by rivals with sportier handling and nicer interior materials, according to critics.
While some competitors offer faster acceleration, test drivers agree that the 2016 Lincoln MKZ's base turbocharged four-cylinder engine has ample power for city and highway driving. They note that the optional V6 is slightly stronger, but gets worse fuel economy. According to the EPA, the base 2016 Lincoln MKZ gets 22/33 mpg city/highway, which is about average for a four-cylinder upscale midsize car, while the V6 model gets 18/27 mpg. The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is powered by a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, and critics say its acceleration is adequate. It gets 41/39 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for a hybrid luxury car and for the upscale midsize class as a whole. All MKZ models come standard with an automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional on non-hybrid models. Test drivers note that while the MKZ rides comfortably and takes corners with composure, rivals like the Cadillac CTS and BMW 3-Series are more fun to drive.
The 2016 Lincoln MKZ has an attractive interior, according to critics, but its materials aren't as nice as those in rival luxury cars. Auto writers also say the MKZ has limited rear-seat headroom for taller passengers. The 2016 MKZ has a large trunk for the class, but the MKZ Hybrid loses trunk space to its battery pack. Standard features include heated front seats, rear parking sensors, a rearview camera, push-button start, Lincoln’s voice-activated SYNC system and the MyLincoln Touch infotainment system, which includes a touch screen, Bluetooth, two USB ports and satellite radio. Available features include ventilated and massaging front seats, heated rear seats, a panoramic sunroof, a THX II audio system, navigation, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, parallel park assist, lane keeping assist and forward collision warning with automatic pre-collision braking. Reviewers criticize MyLincoln Touch for its small buttons, slow touch screen and complicated menus.
- "The 2016 Lincoln MKZ offers modern features and distinctive style, but it's a hard sell compared with more refined entry-level luxury sedan competitors." -- Edmunds
- "The Lincoln MKZ stands out from other entry-luxury sedans with sleek, distinctive styling and an optional 38-mpg hybrid powertrain. It also delivers a cushy ride without floaty, Town Car-like handling, but disappointing interior materials and a questionable value proposition let down an otherwise attractive package." -- Left Lane News (2015)
- "Although not as exotic or performance-oriented as the BMW 3 Series or Cadillac CTS, the 2015 Lincoln MKZ offers a uniquely opulent design, a choice of three capable and efficient powertrains including a hybrid model, as well as a nice roster of upscale amenities." -- AutoTrader (2015)
- "Its most compelling asset is a sophisticated suit of clothes. But in autodom's lower luxury league, good looks and mere dynamic competence aren't enough." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Lincoln MKZ Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers write that the Lexus ES has top-notch materials, a spacious rear seat and a smooth ride. Like the MKZ, the ES has a hybrid trim that gets superb fuel economy.
The Cadillac CTS earns praise from critics for its agile handling and potent engine options. Test drivers also appreciate the CTS' stylish cabin, which they say features first-class materials.
Details: 2016 Lincoln MKZ
The 2016 Lincoln MKZ is a five-seat sedan. It comes in gas-only hybrid versions, which have the same starting price and are available with Premiere, Select and Reserve equipment groups. Top-of-the-line Black Label models have custom color combinations and upgraded materials. The base MKZ has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. A 3.7-liter V6 engine and all-wheel drive are optional. The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid features a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor mated to a continuously variable transmission (automatic). The Lincoln MKZ hasn’t changed much since its last full redesign for the 2013 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Lincoln MKZ
- View the best prices for the 2016 Lincoln MKZ
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Lincoln MKZ
- Search used Lincoln MKZ for sale (5,240 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals