Lincoln Navigator Review
The 2013 Lincoln Navigator ranks 8 out of 9 Luxury Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 71 published reviews and test drives of the Lincoln Navigator, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Lincoln Navigator has comfortable seating for up to eight, but test drivers say its underpowered engine and subpar interior materials hold it back compared to the rest of the class.
The 2013 Lincoln Navigator comes with a V8 engine, which auto critics consider to be the Navigator’s main weakness, saying it strains when the Navigator is fully loaded. Power is routed to the wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. The Navigator achieves 14/20 mpg city/highway, which is comparable to the Cadillac Escalade and Land Rover Range Rover. Reviewers like the Navigator’s smooth ride and accurate steering feel. They also say it corners well, with minimal body roll. Its large turning radius hurts it maneuverability in the city, according to reviewers. One auto writer says the brakes stop the Navigator well.
On the inside, reviewers note that while the Navigator’s interior design is luxurious, they also point out that the interior materials fall short of class expectations. They say there are far too many hard plastics and cheap-looking switchgear present. Reviewers praise the Navigator’s seats and say there’s ample room in all three rows. Critics say the Navigator has a good amount of cargo space and appreciate how easy it is to increase cargo space with the standard power-folding third row. One critic says that the navigation system complicates the audio controls. Standard features in the Navigator include a 14-speaker THX sound system, HD Radio, dual-zone automatic climate control, rear parking sensors and a backup camera. Standalone options and packages include exterior and interior material upgrades as well as a power moonroof and DVD LCD displays on the back of the front-seat headrests.
- "Although the market has shifted toward smaller, more-efficient car-based SUVs in response to skyrocketing gasoline prices, anyone who still craves a big, traditional SUV will appreciate the 2013 Lincoln Navigator's luxurious amenities, extraordinary cargo capacity and intimidating stature." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Shoppers may also consider a high-line trim of the related Ford Expedition if they want to save some money, or perhaps a Ford Flex for a similarly equipped vehicle with more carlike handling and fuel economy. Given this wealth of choice, the 2012 Lincoln Navigator is clearly not our top pick. However, if you need to tow something and welcome the versatility of its fold-flat third row of seats (especially in Navigator L guise), this mighty Lincoln is definitely worthy of consideration." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "Navigator is overshadowed by the more glamorous Cadillac Escalade, which has more power and more luxurious interior appointments." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
If you’re seeking an excellent off-road large SUV, the Land Rover Range Rover is worth a look. Reviewers are impressed with the Range Rover’s luxurious interior, car-like road manners and say it’s a legitimate off-road SUV.
The Cadillac Escalade is a smart alternative to the Navigator because of its better safety scores and excellent reliability rating. Reviewers like the Escalade’s strong acceleration and user-friendly navigation system. The Escalade also has comparable fuel economy estimates.
Details: 2013 Lincoln Navigator
The Lincoln Navigator has standard seating for seven and can accommodate eight when properly equipped. There are two models: the regular wheelbase Navigator and the long wheelbase Navigator L. Both models come with a 5.4-liter V8 engine matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. Stand-alone options and options packages are available on either model and add interior features and upgraded interior and exterior materials. There are no significant changes for 2013, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007 to 2013.
Next Steps: Lincoln Navigator
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Lincoln Navigator
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Lincoln Navigator
- Search used Lincoln Navigator for sale (1,418 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings