2012 Lincoln Navigator Review
Reviewers like the 2012 Lincoln Navigator’s spacious third row, easy-to-use cargo space and outstanding list of standard features, but say that it’s held back by lackluster performance.
Though test drivers say the 2012 Lincoln Navigator is a good luxury large SUV, many point out that most of its competitors are better. “The Mercedes GL-Class offers better handling and a more prestigious image, while the Cadillac Escalade and Infiniti QX56 boast much more powerful V8 engines,” writes Edmunds.
Test drivers mention that the Navigator has enough power to handle most situations adequately, but many of its rivals have more get-up-and-go. Although this Lincoln comes with plenty of standard features, a few reviewers have had trouble with its navigation system, and some noticed that interior quality could be better.
Still, that doesn’t mean the 2012 Lincoln Navigator a bad SUV. Its folding second and third rows surpass rivals in terms of both passenger comfort and ease of use, and test drivers say it provides an especially smooth ride that coddles passengers over bumps and uneven pavement.
Overall, even if the 2012 Lincoln Navigator doesn’t have any glaring issues, test drivers say that most of its competitors are better choices for shoppers who value extra horsepower and opulent interiors.
Other SUVs to Consider
The Lincoln Navigator and the Ford Expedition are so similar that reviewers say you won’t miss much by opting for the more-affordable Expedition. Since the Navigator is based on the Expedition, they share similar driving dynamics. Opting for the Expedition in top-of-the-line King Ranch trim is pricey, but still less expensive than the Navigator by more than $10,000.
Buyers who prioritize a luxury badge would do well to shop the Cadillac Escalade. Test drivers say its powerful engine is much more capable than the Navigator’s, and it comes just as well-equipped as the Lincoln does. Though it costs a good deal more and its third row isn’t as spacious, reviewers say its navigation system works better than the Navigator’s and its luxurious interior lives up to its Cadillac badge.
Details: Lincoln Navigator
The Navigator comes in base and long-wheelbase L trims. Changes for 2012 are few, but include an update to its SYNC multimedia interface.
See full 2012 Lincoln Navigator specifications.
- "Essentially a Ford Expedition wearing Lincoln clothes, the Navigator’s calling cards are its well-appointed interior, quiet demeanor, giant size, and gargantuan chrome grille.” -- Car and Driver
- “Navigator's real rival is the Ford Expedition upon which it's based. Except for nameplate status, Expedition delivers everything this Lincoln does, all at a lower price.” -- Consumer Guide
- "The … Lincoln Navigator has eye-catching style and a luxurious ride, but its underwhelming V8 might be a deal-breaker for buyers looking to carry or tow big loads.” -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Lincoln Navigator
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Lincoln Navigator
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Lincoln Navigator for sale (1,330 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Lincoln Navigator
- See what others paid for the 2012 Lincoln Navigator
- View Lincoln Navigator Photos
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings