MINI Cooper Countryman Review
The 2015 MINI Cooper Countryman ranks 19 out of 27 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper Countryman, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 MINI Cooper Countryman is ranked:
Although it has one of the smallest cargo areas in the class, reviewers praise the 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman's agile handling, and it gets excellent fuel economy for the class.
The 2015 Mini Countryman has a base four-cylinder engine, and test drivers write that it has sufficient power. The Cooper S and John Cooper Works models have turbocharged four-cylinder engines, and reviewers agree that both models feel more potent and have quick acceleration. Reviewers say the standard six-speed manual transmission makes the Countryman very engaging to drive, and they find that the optional automatic shifts smoothly, though it is occasionally slow to downshift. At up to an EPA-estimated 27/34 mpg city/highway, the 2015 Countryman earns better fuel economy estimates than those of nearly every rival. The Mini Countryman delivers nimble handling and sharp steering around corners, reviewers say. However, some report that compared to smaller Mini models, the Countryman has some body roll in turns. A few also point out that its ride feels stiff.
Handsome cabin styling and first-rate materials in the 2015 Countryman earn many reviewers' praise, and taller passengers will benefit from the car's spacious front and rear seats. Standard features in the Countryman include Bluetooth, an iPod adapter and push-button start. Options include a panoramic sunroof, rear parking sensors, satellite radio, a Harman Kardon sound system, a voice-controlled infotainment system with a 6.5-inch display and navigation. The dashboard controls are tiny, making adjusting audio and climate settings difficult, reviewers say. The Mini Countryman has 42.2 cubic feet of overall cargo space. Although that’s one of the smallest cargo capacities in the class, reviewers say the space is useful, and they like its convenient cargo partition and under-floor storage space.
- "With the seating position of a crossover, handling similar to a go-kart, a little versatility and a lot of personality, the Countryman fits in no particular car category. Whatever it is, the Countryman does the MINI brand proud, because -- let's face it -- as charming as the Cooper is, it's not so charming after a visit to IKEA or when you have to take three adult friends to dinner." -- AutoTrader
- "The Cooper Countryman is MINI's offering for those who want the distinctive styling and agile handling associated with the brand but need more space than a normal Cooper or Clubman can offer. As such, the Countryman is a five-door hatchback capable of seating up to five passengers in comfort." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman is one of the most distinctive and entertaining small crossover wagons out there. It's hardly the most practical option in this price range, though, as other crossovers boast more room and comfort." -- Edmunds
- "Alas, the Countryman suffers some of the same drawbacks as smaller Minis, including a stiff ride, fairly high noise levels, and form-over-function retro interior design. Worse, the nickel-and-dime options strategy can quickly boost delivered prices to eye-watering levels. Still, the Countryman is the only SUV that's also a Mini, and that will be enough for many buyers. Those seeking a compact crossover with better space, refinement, and value should look elsewhere." -- Consumer Guide
Other SUVs to Consider
The Kia Sportage impresses reviewers with its powerful optional turbocharged engine, which they say produces quick acceleration. The Sportage also has sharp handling and a stylish cabin, they add.
The Buick Encore comes with lots of standard features for the class and it earns excellent fuel economy estimates for the class. Automotive writers like the Encore’s high-quality, attractive interior and comfortable ride.
Details: 2015 Mini Countryman
The 2015 Mini Countryman seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. There are four trims available: Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper S ALL4 and John Cooper Works. The base Mini Cooper Countryman has a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, while higher trims have a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic transmission is optional. The Mini Countryman hasn’t changed much since it debuted for 2011. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Countryman
- View the best prices for the 2015 MINI Cooper Countryman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 MINI Cooper Countryman
- Search used MINI Cooper Countryman for sale (1,324 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings