2013 Mini Cooper Coupe
- 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe
Mini Cooper Coupe Review
The 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe ranks 9 out of 10 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 15 published reviews and test drives of the Mini Cooper Coupe, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
Reviewers agree that the 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe is a solid performer, but some test drivers say that its retro-styled interior could be more user-friendly.
The 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe is available in three powertrain configurations, and while reviewers say that the base Coupe has adequate power, most prefer S Coupe and John Cooper Works models for their spirited acceleration. A six-speed manual transmission is standard in all Mini Coupes, and reviewers say that it offers short, precise throws and a smooth clutch. The Mini Cooper Coupe gets up to 29/37 mpg city/highway, which is significantly better than most affordable sports cars. Auto critics agree that the 2013 Mini Coupe’s small size, athletic handling and quick, precise steering make it a joy to drive down a twisty road. However, the 2013 Mini Coupe also has one of the lowest reliability scores in the class.
While test drivers say that the Coupe’s cabin is eye-catching and uses attractive materials, most agree that some of the Coupe’s interior features aren’t as user-friendly as they’d like. They note that the Coupe’s small buttons and toggle switches can be confusing, and that the oversized, centrally-located speedometer is out of the driver’s direct line of site. Despite its small size, the Coupe’s two-seat cabin has room for a 6-foot-tall driver and passenger. Cargo space is also good, with more room than the Nissan 370Z and Subaru BRZ. The 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe comes standard with features that include a six-speaker stereo with Bluetooth and a USB port. Optional features include automatic climate control, rear parking sensors, satellite radio, a Harman Kardon stereo system, navigation and the Mini Connected infotainment system, which includes a 6.5-inch color display and smartphone integration.
- "If you're a Mini fan who's willing to trade a couple of seats for even more style and better driving dynamics than the Mini Hardtop, the Cooper Coupe is an enviable option." -- Kelley Blue Book
- “Though the Coupe offers the same agility, power, and sophistication we've come to expect from other Minis, it may puzzle bargain hunters. After all, Coupes -- regardless of trim level -- command nearly $2000 more than a comparable hardtop, yet offer half the seating and cargo space.” -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "It's the type of car that's sure to get most any driver's blood flowing, and one Mini you'll never want unbuckle from." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "In the end, you'd really have to love the shape of the Mini Coupe to choose it over its more practical brethren, and be willing to put up with the loss of the admittedly vestigial back seat and the extra storage it affords." -- Autoblog (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
If you like the Coupe’s small size and nimble handling, but prefer a rear-wheel drive convertible, consider the Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Miata is more powerful than the base Mini Coupe, and reviewers love its athletic handling.
The Scion FR-S costs a bit more, but it’s also more powerful than Mini Coupe and S Coupe models. In general, reviewers love the FR-S for its responsive engine and engaging handling, as well as its comfortable, supportive front seats.
Details: 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe
The 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe seats two and has front-wheel drive. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed manual transmission are standard. The Mini Cooper Coupe comes in three trims: base, S Coupe and John Cooper Works Coupe. S Coupe and John Cooper Works models come with more powerful turbocharged engines. For 2013, the Mini Cooper Coupe gains standard Bluetooth connectivity, while satellite radio, which was previously standard, becomes optional. Aside from that, the Mini Cooper Coupe is basically unchanged. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Mini Cooper Coupe
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Mini Cooper Coupe
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Find low financing rates for the MINI Cooper Coupe
- See what others paid for the 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe
- View Mini Cooper Coupe Photos
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings