MINI Cooper Coupe Review
The 2015 MINI Cooper Coupe ranks 11 out of 11 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper Coupe, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers find the 2015 Mini Coupe a joy to drive thanks to its nimble handling, but they say confusing interior controls and poor visibility diminish its practicality.
A standard four-cylinder engine is in the 2015 Mini Coupe, and test drivers say it provides decent acceleration. They prefer the turbocharged four-cylinder engines in the Cooper S and John Cooper Works trims, which they say provide abundant power and a pleasant exhaust rumble. Engines in the 2015 Coupe are mated to either a six-speed manual transmission or an available six-speed automatic, depending on the trim. Test drivers love the manual’s precise shifter and light clutch. According to the EPA, the 2015 Mini Coupe gets up to 29/37 mpg city/highway, which is superb for the class. Automotive journalists report that the Mini Coupe offers agile cornering, powerful brakes and sharp steering responses. However, they caution buyers to expect a harsh ride if they order a sport suspension, which is optional on Cooper and Cooper S models and standard on the John Cooper Works Coupe.
The 2015 Mini Coupe has a distinctive, throw-back cabin styling that automotive writers appreciate. Some think the plastic trim pieces aren't up to par for a Mini, but they find material quality on the whole is appropriate for the class. Test drivers find the audio and climate controls perplexing to use. The Coupe offers supportive seats with good headroom, auto writers say, but the distinctive sloping roof yields very poor rearward visibility. Standard features in the 2015 Mini Cooper Coupe include Bluetooth and automatic climate control. Available features include heated seats, rear parking sensors, a Harman Kardon audio system, satellite radio, navigation and the Mini Connected infotainment system, which includes a 6.5-inch color display and smartphone app integration.
- "Yes, the Coupe makes little sense for most drivers, especially given that the Cooper Hardtop delivers a comparable driving experience in a considerably more useful package, but who says car buying has to be about practicality?" -- AutoTrader
- "The 2015 Mini Cooper Coupe gives you all the personality and nimbleness expected in a Mini along with a more distinctive look. But it's not as refined as the new Cooper hatchback, and the lack of both a rear seat and usable cargo space is a big drawback." -- Edmunds
- "So unless you're simply mad about the Coupe's or Roadster's looks and 2-seat format, a 4-passenger base or S Hardtop (or equivalent Convertible model) offers better value-and arguably more of an ‘authentic Mini’ experience." -- Consumer Guide
- "You want a Mini, you don't have to haul much or it will be the second or third car, you're looking for the most fun you can have behind the wheel of a production car? There are very, very few that will match the Cooper Coupe." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
MINI Cooper Coupe Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers report that the Mazda Miata offers incredibly athletic handling, and they say that models with the manual transmission have a light clutch and a precise shifter. Additionally, the Miata is available with a soft top or a power retractable hard top.
The Scion FR-S is a bit more expensive than the base Mini Coupe, but it has a more powerful engine, and reviewers love its agile handling. Ultra-supportive front seats and a simple, driver-focused cabin design also draw praise from auto writers.
Details: 2015 Mini Coupe
The 2015 Mini Coupe seats two and comes in Cooper, Cooper S and John Cooper Works trims. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard. A six-speed automatic is optional. The Mini Coupe debuted for the 2012 model year and carries over basically unchanged for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Coupe
- View the best prices for the 2015 MINI Cooper Coupe
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 MINI Cooper Coupe
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals