MINI Cooper Paceman Review
The 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman ranks 34 out of 44 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper Paceman, as well as reliability and safety data.
Critics say the base engine in the 2015 Mini Paceman is underpowered and the car has a harsh ride, but they appreciate its nimble handling and powerful lineup of available engines.
A four-cylinder engine that critics say lacks power comes standard in the 2015 Mini Cooper Paceman. They report that the Cooper S and John Cooper Works models have turbocharged four-cylinder engines that deliver swifter acceleration. The Paceman's standard six-speed manual transmission is favored by automotive writers for making the car especially fun to drive. They also appreciate the Paceman's optional six-speed automatic transmission which they say provides smooth shifts. The base 2015 Paceman gets up to an EPA-estimated 27/34 mpg city/highway, which is great for a sporty small car. Although automotive journalists note that the Paceman rides poorly over uneven pavement, they still think it is fun to drive thanks to its nimble handling, precise steering and good brake pedal feel.
A number of test drivers find the 2015 Mini Paceman's cabin attractive and constructed with high-end materials, but others report that too many cheap plastic surfaces appear throughout the car. Auto writers say the high-mounted front seats provide excellent visibility and the rear bucket seats can handle two adults for short trips. The cargo space is sufficient for two occupants' luggage or for groceries, according to reviewers, though compared with the class it's relatively small. Standard features in the 2015 Paceman include a USB/iPod adapter, Bluetooth, leatherette upholstery and push-button start. Optional features include leather seats, a Harman Kardon sound system, rear parking sensors, navigation and a voice-controlled infotainment system with smartphone app integration and a 6.5-inch display. Critics write that the Paceman’s interior controls are poorly organized, and that the audio and climate controls can be difficult to find without looking away from the road.
- "It's a jack-of-all-trades MINI that offers nimble handling, a refined interior and ample cargo space along with a unique, unconventional look." -- Left Lane News
- "For some shoppers, the appeal of the Paceman's unique two-door styling outweighs the corresponding compromises in practicality, though a Countryman is a more logical choice for most Mini buyers." -- Consumer Guide
- “Throw in the Paceman's inherent MINI goodness, from its trademark fun-to-drive character to its entertainingly enormous center-mounted speedometer, and you have one of the coolest new cars that we've seen in the last few years." -- AutoTrader
- "Like a colorful tropical fish, it's fun to look at, but you'll probably end up flushing it sooner than you want." -- Yahoo Autos (2014)
MINI Cooper Paceman Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Volkswagen Golf has seating for five, and is made with high-quality materials, according to auto writers. They say the Golf also has excellent handling and brisk acceleration, as well as a spacious cargo area.
The Fiat 500L has plentiful interior space, according to reviewers, as well as an intuitive touch-screen infotainment system. Critics also say the 500L has a comfortable ride and quick acceleration from a stop.
Details: 2015 Mini Paceman
The 2015 Mini Paceman seats four and is available in four trims: Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper S ALL4 and John Cooper Works. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, while Cooper S ALL4 and John Cooper Works models come standard with all-wheel drive. A six-speed automatic transmission is also available. The Mini Paceman hasn’t undergone many changes since its debut for the 2013 model year. As such, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Paceman
- View the best prices for the 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Search used MINI Cooper Paceman for sale (177 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals