MINI Cooper Paceman Review
The 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman ranks 34 out of 42 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper Paceman, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mini Paceman has nimble handling and strong engine options, according to reviewers, but they think the base engine isn’t very powerful, and that the Paceman has a harsh ride.
The 2015 Mini Cooper Paceman comes with a four-cylinder engine, which critics say is underpowered. However, Cooper S and John Cooper Works models have turbocharged four-cylinder engines that provide quicker acceleration, according to reviewers. The Paceman comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, which earns praise for making the Paceman particularly fun to drive. Critics also like the Paceman’s available six-speed automatic transmission, which they report shifts smoothly. The base 2015 Paceman gets up to an EPA-estimated 27/34 mpg city/highway, which is great for a sporty small car. Although automotive journalists note that the Paceman rides poorly over uneven pavement, they still think it is fun to drive thanks to its nimble handling, precise steering and good brake pedal feel.
Some reviewers note the 2015 Mini Paceman has a stylish interior made of high-quality materials, while others find that there are too many cheap plastic surfaces throughout. They report that the high-mounted front seats allow for excellent visibility, and that the rear bucket seats can fit two adults for short trips. The Paceman has limited cargo space for the class, but auto writers feel the cargo area is large enough for groceries or luggage for two occupants. Standard features in the 2015 Paceman include a USB/iPod adapter, Bluetooth, leatherette upholstery and push-button start. Optional features include leather seats, a Harman Kardon sound system, rear parking sensors, navigation and a voice-controlled infotainment system with smartphone app integration and a 6.5-inch display. Critics write that the Paceman’s interior controls are poorly organized, and that the audio and climate controls can be difficult to find without looking away from the road.
- "It's a jack-of-all-trades MINI that offers nimble handling, a refined interior and ample cargo space along with a unique, unconventional look." -- Left Lane News
- "For some shoppers, the appeal of the Paceman's unique two-door styling outweighs the corresponding compromises in practicality, though a Countryman is a more logical choice for most Mini buyers." -- Consumer Guide
- “Throw in the Paceman's inherent MINI goodness, from its trademark fun-to-drive character to its entertainingly enormous center-mounted speedometer, and you have one of the coolest new cars that we've seen in the last few years." -- AutoTrader
- "Like a colorful tropical fish, it's fun to look at, but you'll probably end up flushing it sooner than you want." -- Yahoo Autos (2014)
Other Cars to Consider
The Volkswagen Golf has seating for five, and is made with high-quality materials, according to auto writers. They say the Golf also has excellent handling and brisk acceleration, as well as a spacious cargo area.
The Fiat 500L has plentiful interior space, according to reviewers, as well as an intuitive touch-screen infotainment system. Critics also say the 500L has a comfortable ride and quick acceleration from a stop.
Details: 2015 Mini Paceman
The 2015 Mini Paceman seats four and is available in four trims: Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper S ALL4 and John Cooper Works. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, while Cooper S ALL4 and John Cooper Works models come standard with all-wheel drive. A six-speed automatic transmission is also available. The Mini Paceman hasn’t undergone many changes since its debut for the 2013 model year. As such, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Paceman
- View the best prices for the 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Search used MINI Cooper Paceman for sale (177 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings