2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
MINI Cooper Paceman Review
The 2014 MINI Cooper Paceman ranks 11 out of 13 Upscale Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper Paceman, as well as reliability and safety data.
Critics say that agile handling and unique interior styling make the 2014 Mini Paceman a fun choice, but its harsh ride and small cargo area limit its appeal.
The base 2014 Mini Paceman has a four-cylinder engine, which reviewers think is underpowered. Mini Cooper S Paceman and John Cooper Works models have turbocharged four-cylinder engines that test drivers say provide much stronger acceleration. The Paceman comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, and critics write that it is a lot of fun to use, while the optional six-speed automatic earns praise for its smooth shifts. Equipped with an automatic transmission, the base Paceman gets an EPA-estimated 25/30 mpg city/highway, which is average for an upscale small car. With the manual transmission, the Paceman gets 28/35 mpg, which is great for the class. While automotive journalists caution that the Paceman has a choppy ride on uneven pavement, most agree that nimble handling and strong brakes make it a very fun car to drive.
Some automotive critics think the 2014 Mini Paceman has a stylish interior design that’s built with high-end materials. However, a few write that the dashboard and door trim panels have too many hard plastic surfaces. Test drivers think that the Paceman’s high-set front seats offer excellent outward visibility, and they say the rear seats are comfortable for adults if the car ride is short. The Paceman has less cargo space than rivals like the Fiat 500L and the Volkswagen GTI, but most critics think that it has enough cargo space for a load of groceries or luggage for a couple people. Some test drivers say that the Paceman’s interior controls could be more user-friendly, as the switches for the audio and climate systems can be hard to locate while driving. Standard features in the 2014 Mini Paceman include a six-speaker audio system, push-button start and Bluetooth. Options include leather seats, navigation and a voice-controlled infotainment system with a 6.5-inch display screen.
- “Throw in the Paceman's inherent MINI goodness, from its trademark fun-to-drive character to its entertainingly enormous center-mounted speedometer, and you've got one of the coolest new cars in the last few years." -- AutoTrader
- “For those drawn by the brand's distinctive looks and dedication to fun, and are unconstrained by some misplaced sense of brand purity, this Mini may be the most appealing of them all." -- AOL Autos
- "Like a colorful tropical fish, it's fun to look at, but you'll probably end up flushing it sooner than you want." -- Yahoo Autos
- “If your primary transportation considerations are for space, comfort, versatility and efficiency for the money, and you don't care about the specialness that is a Mini, you'll be plenty happy with such choices as the Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5 or Toyota RAV4." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the Volkswagen GTI is one of the best sporty hatchbacks you can buy, thanks to nimble handling and a peppy, turbocharged engine. They also appreciate its attractive, high-quality interior materials and spacious, comfortable seats.
The Fiat 500L’s hip styling, ample cargo space and user-friendly tech features draw praise from critics. The 500L also comes with a more powerful engine than the base Paceman, and critics say it has plenty of power for getting around town.
Details: 2014 Mini Paceman
The 2014 Mini Paceman seats four and is available in four trims: base, S, S ALL4 and John Cooper Works. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, a six speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, and a six-speed automatic transmission is optional. More powerful turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines and all-wheel drive are available on higher trims. The Mini Paceman hasn’t changed much since its debut for the 2013 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Paceman
- View the best prices for the 2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings