2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
MINI Cooper Paceman Interior
Some reviewers think the 2014 Mini Paceman’s unique interior is attractive and built with high-quality materials. However, a few test drivers are let down with some plastic surfaces, saying that they make the dashboard and door trim panels feel cheap.
- "The Countryman and Paceman interiors are as charming as those in other Minis." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Inside, Mini has taken to oversaturating its opulent sea of plastics with chili red detailing and more oodles of sporty cuteness." -- Autoblog
- "Paceman's interior materials are of high quality, the standard seats are sporty and supportive." -- AOL Autos
- "The interior was plasticky -- lots of hard materials all over the interior lent a distinctly non-premium feel to the dash, door panels, etc." -- AutoWeek (2013)
The Paceman seats four and comes standard with leatherette upholstery and a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Options include leather upholstery and heated front seats. Test drivers say the front seats are mounted high and offer excellent outward visibility. Some critics think the rear seats are large enough for adults on short trips, and that they’ll provide enough space for kids on longer journeys.
- "The high front seats provide commanding visibility." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "In other words, two average-sized adults could sit back there for a short trip across town, while smaller children should be fine for even longer distances.” -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "It is possible to fit four average-sized adults into the Paceman, but they're not necessarily going to be happy with the experience, and they'll be downright upset about getting in and out." -- MSN Autos (2013)
The Mini Paceman comes standard with a six-speaker audio system, HD Radio, Bluetooth, a USB/iPod adapter, push-button start and heated side mirrors. Optional features include satellite radio, a Harman Kardon sound system, navigation, a panoramic sunroof, rear parking sensors and a voice-controlled infotainment system with a 6.5-inch display screen.
Reviewers say that the Paceman’s audio and climate controls can be difficult to locate without looking away from the road. Test drivers note that the optional infotainment system has a wide range of useful functions, including smartphone app integration, which provides access to apps like Facebook and Pandora Internet radio.
- "The audio and climate controls are typical MINI fare, meaning they're laid out haphazardly and can be hard to operate without glancing down." -- AutoTrader
- "In particular, the center-dash speedometer takes some getting used to, while the tachometer rides atop the steering column." -- AOL Autos
- "The optional Mini Connected electronics interface packs a lot of functionality, with iPhone smartphone app integration providing features such as Internet radio and social media access." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "It has tons of small switches on the center stack that you don't know what they are without looking down. The controller for the iDrive-esque interface is also tiny. I realize that switchgear in British cars is traditionally dainty, but for something that controls all the functions of the infotainment, you might need a chunkier controller." -- Jalopnik (2013)
The Mini Paceman has 11.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which expands to 38.1 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. That’s less space than what rivals like the Fiat 500L and Volkswagen GTI offer. Critics say the Paceman’s cargo area is large enough for a grocery trip or luggage for a couple people.
- "That said, the Paceman is still pretty small compared with most other hatchbacks and crossover SUVs. If you regularly haul large items, you can find better options in this price range." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "Rear cargo space is adequate for two people's luggage, but not much more." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "The cargo area feels large enough for the day-to-day hauling my family and I do; backpacks, weekend sleepover bags, grocery shopping." -- Cars.com (2013)
Next Steps: MINI Cooper Paceman
- View the best prices for the 2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 MINI Cooper Paceman
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings