Mazda CX-9 Review
The 2015 Mazda CX-9 ranks 10 out of 13 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda CX-9, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mazda CX-9 is ranked:
Though they're disappointed in its outdated infotainment system, test drivers praise the 2015 Mazda CX-9 for its athletic handling and potent V6 engine.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Mazda CX-9 is our 2015 Best Large SUV for the Money.
The 2015 Mazda CX-9's standard V6 engine produces plenty of power for any driving situation, according to critics. They add that the standard six-speed automatic transmission shifts precisely. At up to an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, the CX-9's fuel economy is good for the class. Automotive journalists say the CX-9’s athletic handling makes it one of the more fun-to-drive SUVs in the class. They add that the 2015 CX-9 doesn’t have the smoothest ride, but that the steering is responsive and the brakes are strong.
Reviewers think the 2015 Mazda CX-9's center-stack controls are intuitively arranged, but they say the interior is constructed with hard plastics. There's plenty of head- and legroom in the first and second rows, testers write, and adults can comfortably fit in the third row. Cargo space is relatively small compared with other SUVs in the class. Standard features include Bluetooth, tri-zone automatic climate control, a USB port, HD Radio and a 5.8-inch touch screen. Optional features include an 11-speaker Bose stereo system with a rear-seat entertainment system, navigation, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. Auto writers report that the touch screen is small for the class, with outdated graphics and on-screen buttons that respond slowly to inputs.
- "As is often the case with Mazda vehicles, the CX-9 three-row crossover is the sports car of its competitive set. Along with engaging dynamics, it offers plentiful cargo space and a versatile, well-designed cabin." -- Left Lane News
- “If you need the 7-passenger hauling of a 3-row crossover SUV, but you refuse to blend in with the crowd, the 2015 Mazda CX-9 presents a nicely styled alternative to mainstream offerings." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Beyond its sleek styling and firm suspension, the CX-9's popularity is bolstered by its reasonable price, an extensive list of comfort and safety features and a strong reputation for reliability and resale. If the CX-9 has one shortfall, it may be the limited cargo space offered when the third-row seat is in use. This is a problem that plagues many 3-row SUVs, so we can't really ding Mazda for it." -- AutoTrader
- "In some ways, the 2015 Mazda CX-9 is showing its age. But this roomy three-row crossover SUV is still one of our favorites." -- Edmunds
Mazda CX-9 Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Automotive journalists write that the Buick Enclave has a quiet ride and an interior that’s similar to those found in luxury vehicles. They think the Enclave has spacious seating for up to eight, with ample legroom in the third row. The Enclave also has significantly more overall cargo space than the CX-9.
The Dodge Durango has an available infotainment system that’s one of the most intuitive in the class, according to reviewers. They add that the Durango has a stylish, high-quality interior as well as an optional V8 engine that delivers strong acceleration.
Details: 2015 Mazda CX-9
The 2015 Mazda CX-9 seats seven and comes standard with front-wheel drive, while all-wheel drive is available. The CX-9 is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 engine, which is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The CX-9 comes in three trims: Sport, Touring and Grand Touring. The CX-9 was last refreshed for the 2013 model year but is otherwise unchanged from the 2007 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2007 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mazda CX-9
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mazda CX-9
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mazda CX-9
- Search used Mazda CX-9 for sale (3,000 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals