Mazda CX-9 Review
The 2013 Mazda CX-9 ranks 7 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 67 published reviews and test drives of the Mazda CX-9, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Mazda CX-9 is ranked:
The 2013 Mazda CX-9 is a middle-of-the-road SUV in most respects, but test drivers say few other SUVs deliver such good performance.
Refreshed for 2013, the Mazda CX-9 is powered by a V6 engine. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard and shoppers can choose between front- or all-wheel drive. Most critics say the CX-9 has plenty of power, but complain that at 17/24 mpg city/highway, fuel economy could be better. On the other hand, test drivers love how nimble and athletic the CX-9 is for an SUV. They say it has direct steering, powerful brakes and excellent cornering abilities, while still maintaining a comfortable ride.
The Mazda CX-9 can seat seven in three rows, but reviewers say that only the front two rows are comfortable. Cargo space is decent, but not outstanding for the class. Most reviewers say the cabin is well-built, but that the design is a little bland and uses some hard plastics. Standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port, a six-speaker stereo and a touch-screen control panel. Optional features include navigation, a rearview camera and blind spot monitoring. Some reviewers complain about how small the touch-screen controller is, which makes it tough to use some interior features.
- "Don't get us wrong, CX-9 is still very much worth a look, but it's no longer the class standout it once was." -- Consumer Guide
- "Like many Mazdas, the large, three-row CX-9 crossover is more fun to drive than most of its competitors. While its underpinnings and powertrain are getting a little old, the styling has been updated nicely for 2013. And it can also perform a number of impressive accident avoidance tricks." -- Car and Driver
- "Easily fulfilling typical family needs, the 2013 Mazda CX-9 also benefits from a healthy dose of driving excitement." -- Edmunds
- "The Mazda CX-9 has struggled to keep its head above water in a sea of similar large crossovers, and though it's not the roomiest, this stylish and fun-to-drive SUV deserves a second look in its updated 2013 form." -- Cars.com
Other Midsize SUVs to Consider
Though it isn't as sporty as the 2013 Mazda CX-9, the 2013 Chevrolet Traverse has more cargo space, a comfortable third row and better crash test scores.
For three rows of seats and good fuel economy, consider the Toyota Highlander. It has a high reliability rating and good crash test scores.
Details: 2013 Mazda CX-9
The Mazda CX-9 has been refreshed for 2013 with an updated exterior and dashboard as well as some newly standard features. The CX-9 is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. The CX-9 seats seven in three rows. The CX-9 comes in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trims.
Next Steps: Mazda CX-9
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Mazda CX-9
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mazda CX-9 for sale (2,262 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mazda CX-9
- See what others paid for the 2013 Mazda CX-9
- View Mazda CX-9 Photos
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings