Mazda Mazda3 Review
The 2015 Mazda Mazda3 ranks 3 out of 41 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda Mazda3, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mazda Mazda3 is ranked:
Rated a 2015 compact car top choice, the Mazda Mazda3 impresses reviewers with its responsive handling, sophisticated interior and reliable engines.
For day-to-day driving, reviewers say that the 2015 Mazda Mazda3's standard four-cylinder engine is more than up to the task. For quicker acceleration and steadier power delivery, test drivers say the Mazda3's available 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine provides these without undercutting fuel economy. Whether paired with the standard six-speed manual transmission or available six-speed automatic, reviewers write that gear changes are easy and driving is an all-around enjoyable experience. According to the EPA, the base 2015 Mazda3 gets up to 29/41 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for the class. Critics praise the Mazda3 for its excellent handling, precise steering and note it is one of the most enjoyable cars in the class to drive.
The 2015 Mazda Mazda3's cabin impresses test drivers, who compare its up-scale materials and sophisticated design to that found in luxury compacts. The interior's roominess is decent, critics write, though its seats are some of the best in the class. Trunk space in the Mazda3 sedan is less than in competitors, though the hatchback model's cargo space is comparable to other hatchbacks'. Standard features include a four-speaker stereo, USB and auxiliary inputs and push-button start. Optional features include Bluetooth, cruise control, navigation, dual-zone automatic climate control, a nine-speaker Bose sound system, a moonroof, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and a rearview camera. Reviewers agree that the Mazda3’s interior features and controls are well-designed and simple, and that the optional infotainment system is easy to use.
- "If you're seeking a compact sedan or hatchback with fun driving manners, great fuel economy, and class-above looks and features, the Mazda3 is an excellent choice. That Mazda's compact car starts under $18,000 and retains its value very well is icing on the cake." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Purposeful styling, fuel-efficient engines and an ideal ride and handling balance keep the 2015 Mazda 3 among our favorites in the compact car class." -- Edmunds
- "… it's a solid bet to say the Mazda3 is the best compact on the market. In a segment that long ago shed its reputation for being entirely stodgy or boring (a change for which Mazda can claim some credit, thanks to the original 3), the new Mazda3 stands out as the most stylish and the most fun to drive." -- Popular Mechanics (2014)
- "If you value a cushy ride, there are better choices out there. If you want the most cargo room you can get, you can spring for the Golf or even Mazda's own CX-5. But if you want great driving dynamics and a complement of hitherto-unobtanium advanced technology reserved for the most sybaritic of luxury cars, the Mazda3 is well worth the look. It certainly looks like it's worth it." -- AutoWeek (2014)
Other Cars to Consider
The Honda Fit impresses reviewers with its comfortable ride, roomy rear seat and excellent fuel economy. The Fit also has a large cargo area, and a back seat that folds flat and in multiple directions for packing versatility.
The Volkswagen Golf has excellent cargo space, interior materials that reviewers say are top-notch, and great fuel economy when equipped with a diesel engine. Test drivers add that the Golf has nimble handling and a spacious back seat.
Details: 2015 Mazda Mazda3
The 2015 Mazda Mazda3 has seating for five, comes standard with front-wheel drive and is offered in sedan and hatchback body styles. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is standard, and a 2.5-liter four-cylinder is available on s Touring and s Grand Touring trims. A six-speed manual transmission is standard with either engine and a six-speed automatic is available. The Mazda3 comes in six trims: i SV (sedan only), i Sport, i Touring, i Grand Touring, s Touring and s Grand Touring. The Mazda3 was redesigned for 2014 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2014 to the current model year.
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda3
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mazda Mazda3
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mazda Mazda3
- Search used Mazda Mazda3 for sale (10,757 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings