Mazda Mazda6 Review
The 2014 Mazda Mazda6 ranks 4 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda Mazda6, as well as reliability and safety data.
After a complete overhaul, reviewers say the Mazda6’s excellent fuel economy, engaging performance and large, upscale cabin make it a strong choice in its class. For having the best combination of factors that appeal to families, we named the Mazda6 our 2014 Best Midsize Car for Families.
The 2014 Mazda6 has a four-cylinder engine mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. A V6 engine is no longer offered on the Mazda6, but a new four-cylinder diesel is coming later this year. The EPA says Mazda6 models with the manual transmission should get 25/37 mpg city/highway, and automatic models will get 26/38 mpg, which are very good ratings for non-hybrid affordable midsize cars. Test drivers are happy with the Mazda6’s new four-cylinder engine, saying it has plenty of power in most situations, though a few wish it was a bit stronger. The transmissions also receive praise from critics, who say that the excellent manual has precise shifts and a light clutch. Reviewers agree that the 2014 Mazda6's nimble, sporty handling makes it one of the most fun cars to drive in the class.
The majority of reviewers think the 2014 Mazda6’s cabin is attractive and filled with upscale materials. They agree that the 2014 Mazda6 has plenty of passenger space and that its seats are comfortable. Notable standard features on the base 2014 Mazda6 with the manual transmission include push-button start, a six-speaker audio system and auxiliary and USB inputs. If you opt for the automatic transmission, you’ll also get standard Bluetooth, a rearview camera, a 5.8-inch touch-screen display, HD Radio, Pandora Internet radio connectivity, voice-controlled audio controls and hands-free text messaging capability. The Mazda6 can be equipped with features like dual-zone automatic climate control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, adaptive cruise control, an 11-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system, satellite radio, navigation, a blind spot monitoring system, Mazda’s Smart City Brake Support system, a lane departure warning system, forward obstruction warning and a rear cross traffic alert system. Critics like the layout of the controls, and say that most are easy to use. One complaint they have is with the available navigation system, saying it is confusing at times and doesn’t have a big enough display screen.
- "When we drove the Fusion, we said you'd be an idiot if you didn't buy one. It's true, you woud be an idiot not to buy a Fusion, but you'd be an even bigger idiot if you didn't at least try the Mazda6. I think it's the best car in the class. Go buy it. Now." -- Jalopnik
- "Besides sharp styling and a sporty driving experience, the 2014 Mazda6 comes armed with something even more important that positions it to challenge the segment leaders: fuel economy that's at the top of the class." -- Cars.com
- "While many mid-size sedans are plain-vanilla, the Mazda6 spices the segment up with dramatic exterior styling, innovative technology and a significant dollop of fun-to-drive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Mazda 6, however, which is all-new for 2014, has something most of its competitors desperately need. Personality. It drips with charisma in places where its competitors offer only convention. There's identity in its styling both inside and out. Its front seats alone offer comfort and support utterly lacking in most of its competition. And if there's even one midsize sedan that's remotely interesting to drive, it's this one." -- Edmunds
- "Home run? That would be a stretch. This 6 lacks the variety of powertrain choices offered by others in the segment. But to extend the metaphor, if the ball is still in the park, it's off the fence and the batter is heading into third base standing up." -- Car and Driver
Other Cars to Consider
The Nissan Altima is a good alternative to the Mazda6 due to its athletic handling, roomy interior and excellent fuel economy. Critics also like the Altima’s smooth continuously variable transmission and powerful available V6 engine.
Although the Ford Fusion’s fuel economy isn’t as good as the Mazda6’s, the highly-ranked Fusion is a reviewer favorite because of its engaging handling, available all-wheel drive, comfortable seats and eye-catching exterior. The Fusion also has a high reliability rating.
Details: 2014 Mazda6
The 2014 Mazda6 is available in three trims: Sport, Touring and Grand Touring. The Mazda6 has a four-cylinder engine mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic. A four-cylinder diesel engine will be available later this year. The Mazda6 is fully redesigned for the 2014 model year.
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda6
- View the best prices for the 2014 Mazda Mazda6
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Mazda Mazda6
- Search used Mazda Mazda6 for sale (6,345 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings