2008 Mazda Mazda6 Review
This review was written when the 2008 Mazda Mazda6 was new.
The Mazda6 has sporty handling dynamics and a sleek, stylish exterior, but lacks the off-the-line pickup or interior spaciousness of the top cars of its class.
The 2008 Mazda6 earns its distinction in the affordable midsize class as a sporty, stylish alternative to the somewhat conservative class-leading competition. Offering plenty of Mazda's trademark "zoom zoom," reviewers also praise the 6's attractive pricing as a key reason to choose this sedan over midsize models from Honda or Toyota. Motor Trend writes, "The Mazda6 delivers a lot of sporty car for the money, especially when compared with Japanese rivals that usually cost more when equally equipped." The strongest complaint against the 2008 Mazda6 is the emphasis on an engaging experience for the driver has resulted in little attention to the comfort of his or her passengers. The 6's strong engine power also leads to a moderate sacrifice of fuel efficiency.
If you're interested in purchasing a 6, Mazda provides several trims. The "i" series is available with Sport, Sport VE, Touring and Grand Touring trim, while the "s" series is offered with Sport VE, Touring and Grand Touring trims. Also note the redesigned 2009 Mazda6 is now available, but you can get a great deal on a 2008. Check out our car deals center for further details.
- "The mid-size, mid-prize Mazda 6 plays in a tough league and plays very well. One of the sportier choices in its segment, the 6 is an eager front-driver with a playful spirit, good looks, all-around competence, and two excellent engine choices, make it a Car and Driver fun-to-drive favorite." -- Car and Driver
- "The Mazda 6 is the sports sedan of the mainstream midsize cars. It boasts style, agility and performance. In short, it's more fun to drive than other cars in this class. It's a great choice for someone who wants a more exciting car." -- New Car Test Drive
- "Just sassy enough to cause trouble" -- U.S. News
- "Mazda has done a masterful job of blending acceleration, handling and sporty ride in a useful family sedan that looks good and is priced right." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- "Above-average ride, handling and performance with decent mileage at a reasonable price." -- Chicago Tribune