Mazda MX-5 Miata Review
The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata ranks 1 out of 11 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda MX-5 Miata, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers say the completely redesigned 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is incredibly agile and more fun to drive than most cars in its price range.
The 2016 Miata may have less horsepower than rivals like the Ford Mustang, but critics say the Miata still feels quick. They add that the Miata's standard six-speed manual transmission is excellent, with short throws and smooth, precise action overall. A six-speed automatic is available. According to the EPA, the base 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata gets 27/34 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for a sports car. The rear-wheel drive Miata feels more agile on a winding road than most cars on the market, auto writers report. They add that the Miata's steering is responsive, its brakes are powerful and it rides more smoothly than rivals like the Subaru BRZ.
Automotive journalists write that the interior of the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata features simple, modern styling and a mix of padded and hard plastic panels that are mostly high-quality. The 2016 Miata is a two-person roadster, and critics say in-cabin storage and trunk space are limited. However, most critics say that people under 6 and a half feet tall can fit comfortably in the Miata's seats. Standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port, an auxiliary audio input and a manual-folding convertible soft top. A power-folding convertible top is not available. Optional features include automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, lane departure warning and a Mazda Connect infotainment system with a Bose stereo, satellite radio and navigation. Critics say raising and lowering the manual convertible top is simple and takes about five seconds. Most test drivers think the dashboard controls are user-friendly, including in upper-trim models with the Mazda Connect system.
- "Shorter, lighter and more enjoyable than ever, the new Miata has got more on-road finesse than any vehicle within $10,000 of its sticker price." -- Yahoo Autos
- "The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata receives the most significant redesign in its 25-year history. It reverses the recent trend of getting bigger and heavier while still improving comfort, feature content and refinement. If you want fun on a budget, this is your car." -- Edmunds
- "If you think driving should be a fun experience that stimulates your senses without costing an arm and a leg, or if you just want the thrills of classic top-down motoring without the headaches of owning an old car, then there's no other choice but to buy the new Mazda MX-5." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "To our eyes it still looks best from behind the wheel, where it remains the most fun you can have for the least amount of money." -- Car and Driver
Mazda MX-5 Miata Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Mustang convertible has athletic handling, according to critics, and its base V6 engine makes almost twice as much horsepower as the Miata's. The Mustang convertible has a larger trunk than the Miata, and reviewers like the Mustang's upscale interior, which can seat up to four people.
Like the Miata, the Subaru BRZ has a small, but lively, four-cylinder engine and very nimble handling, according to test drivers. The BRZ's trunk is only slightly bigger than the Miata's, but the BRZ has folding rear seats that can be used to expand its cargo space.
Details: 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata
The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is two-seat convertible. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, rear-wheel drive and six-speed manual transmission are standard. A six-speed automatic transmission is available. The Miata comes in Sport, Club and Grand Touring trims. Mazda has completely redesigned the Miata for the 2016 model year.
Next Steps: Mazda MX-5 Miata
- View the best prices for the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Search used Mazda MX-5 Miata for sale (1,234 listings)
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals