2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Review
Auto writers praise the Mazda MX-5 Miata for its all-around satisfying handling dynamics, as well as its impressive build quality and value over time. These factors helped the 2009 MX-5 win the U.S. News Best Car for the Money Award in the sports car class.
Now almost 20 years old, the Mazda MX-5 Miata is famous for providing superior sports car handling that's as comfortable as it is thrilling. Add to that its excellent reliability history and it's easy to see why sports car enthusiasts love the Miata. Motor Trend writes: "The new MX-5 is just like that bubbly, blonde cheerleader you knew in high school 15 years ago. Only now she's grown up and has a college degree. She's also put on a few more pounds. But she still knows all the moves."
The Miata was listed in the 2000 Guinness Book of World Records for being the best-selling two-seat convertible in history. Even so, reviewers note that some competitors offer stronger engines and faster off-the-line performance. The Honda S2000, for instance, easily keeps pace with the Miata, and may very well trump it on the race track -- especially in Club Racer trim. Though not as sporty, the Nissan 350Z is also a strong alternative for those in the market for a sports roadster. However, the Miata has both the S2000 and 350Z beat when it comes to ride quality.
Redesigned in 2006, the MX-5 Miata only receives a refresh for the 2009 model year that mostly affects its exterior design. It is available in five trims: SV, Sport, Touring, Grand Touring and Special Edition. In addition to convertible vinyl and cloth tops, a power retractable hardtop is also available.
- "The 2009 MX-5 Miata roadster continues to capture the hearts of driving enthusiasts and open-air aficionados everywhere." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "For what the car is, and what it has always been, the MX-5 Miata is essentially without peer. And whether you like the retractable hardtop or not -- and I do -- the soft top is still available for purists, and the hardtop just adds one more feature that makes the car a little more practical as a daily driver." -- Orlando Sentinel
- "The latest generation is spectacularly good, both sweetly rewarding to drive and an excellent value." -- New Car Test Drive
- "This Best Buy delivers as much driving enjoyment--if not outright power--as two-seat sports cars costing thousands more." -- Consumer Guide +"Another plus for Miatas is that they have held their value over the years." -- Forbes
Next Steps: Mazda MX-5 Miata
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mazda MX-5 Miata for sale (1,357 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mazda MX-5-Miata
- View Mazda MX-5 Miata Photos
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings