Mazda MX-5 Miata Review
The 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata ranks 4 out of 11 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda MX-5 Miata, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata delivers extremely sporty handling and a smooth manual gearbox, critics say, and they find it among the most enjoyable, engaging cars on the market.
A four-cylinder engine powers the 2015 Mazda Miata, and though automotive writers say it delivers less power than many affordable sports cars, it provides peppy acceleration. The Miata comes standard with either a five- or six-speed manual transmission, depending on the trim. Reviewers are pleased with either manual because they have a precise shifter and light clutch action. An automatic transmission is available. According to reviewers, the Miata is an absolute joy to drive, with incredibly athletic handling and responsive steering. They say the Miata offers an overall sense of being connected to the car (and planted to the road) that few other sports cars can replicate.
All but the tallest passengers will find the 2015 Miata's two-seat cockpit cozy, but reasonably spacious, critics say. Most find the seats comfortable and supportive, but a few say they're too firm for ideal comfort. The trunk is small, auto journalists say, and will carry a couple bags of groceries but not much more. According to most test drivers, the Miata's interior materials are fairly good quality, but some dislike that features like a USB port aren't available. An auxiliary input jack is standard, while a seven-speaker Bose audio system, Bluetooth phone connectivity, automatic climate control and cruise control are optional.
- "After 25 years, the 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata is still one of the best roadsters ever built, offering equal parts fun and refinement in a compact and affordable package." -- Edmunds
- "Is the 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata for everyone? Certainly not. But if you have the means, it's hard to argue against it as a second car." -- AutoTrader
- "The Miata's potion for emotion goes like this: Start with a 2-seat roadster body that boasts the best handling this side of a go kart, add a zippy engine and rear-wheel drive, give it an attainable price, then let it set you free." -- Kelley Blue Book
- The Miata scores a big victory in the value department. You may not get a plethora of high-tech gizmos, but you do get one of the most fun cars to drive at any price. For pure driving enjoyment, it trumps many cars that are more powerful and more expensive." -- Jalopnik (2014)
Mazda MX-5 Miata Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Subaru BRZ offers a bit more trunk space than the Miata and has a pair of small back seats. Test drivers revel in the BRZ's agile, balanced handling and sharp steering.
According to automotive journalists, the Mini Roadster has incredibly nimble handling and precise steering. Reviewers praise the manual transmission for its short shifter throws and add that the turbocharged Cooper S and John Cooper Works models have strong acceleration.
Details: 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
The 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata is a rear-wheel drive, two-seat convertible. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission come standard, and a six-speed automatic transmission is available. The Miata comes in Sport, Club and Grand Touring trims. A manually folding soft top is standard and a power-retractable hardtop is available on Club and Grand Touring trims. The Miata received some minor updates for the 2013 model year, but hasn’t changed much since it was last redesigned for the 2006 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2015 and prior model years.
Next Steps: Mazda MX-5 Miata
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Search used Mazda MX-5 Miata for sale (1,234 listings)
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings