2014 Mazda Mazda2 Review
Although the 2014 Mazda Mazda2 isn't as spacious, powerful or well-equipped as rivals, it is fun and engaging to drive, test drivers report.
With its standard four-cylinder engine, the 2014 Mazda2 has sufficient power in most cases but is sluggish when accelerating to freeway speeds, according to critics. A manual transmission is standard, and reviewers say it makes good use of the engine's power, but some comment that the clutch engagement point can be hard to find consistently. Test drivers write that the optional four-speed automatic seems outdated in a class where many rivals' automatic transmissions have six gears. Equipped with the automatic, the Mazda2 gets an EPA-estimated 28/34 mpg city/highway, which is OK for the class, but not as good as the fuel economy of competitors like the Chevrolet Spark. Test drivers say the Mazda2 handles nimbly and is one of the more enjoyable hatchbacks to drive thanks to its razor-sharp steering and responsive brakes.
The Mazda2's interior is built with hard plastics and has a simple, straightforward design, which is common for the class. Reviewers write that the front seats are supportive and the cloth upholstery is of high quality, though they mention that the back seats feel cramped, even compared with those of subcompact rivals. The Mazda2 comes with a four-speaker CD audio system, an auxiliary input, a USB port and keyless entry. Optional features include Bluetooth, cruise control and a six-speaker audio system. The Mazda2 lacks features like available navigation and infotainment systems, which are available in many rival cars. Reviewers say that the audio and climate controls are generally easy to use. There’s a typical amount of cargo space for the class, but critics say the Mazda2’s oddly-shaped cargo bay limits its capacity to carry bulky items.
- “With a playful character and nimble handling, the Mazda2 subcompact hatchback is a top choice for those who prioritize driving enjoyment over all else. Though not without faults - chief among them middling fuel economy and limited space - the Mazda2 is a strong enough package to merit consideration from more mainstream buyers, too." -- Left Lane News
- "The Mazda 2 does many things well. It's relatively refined, a joy to drive, and boasts interior decor that would be at home in a pricier car. However, it's somewhat lacking in horsepower, and the amount of interior space and its subsequent configurability doesn't really outshine a few of its key competitors." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The Mazda 2 charms with its eager driving feel and no-frills personality, but overall we think there are better choices for a subcompact. The 2013 Fiesta is the most direct competitor, offering a similar fun-to-drive experience with a nicer interior and more available features." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The pint-sized 2013 Mazda2 packs a big wallop of fun. It's quick, agile and stylish, but space is more cramped than the competition and its materials interior could use an upgrade." -- Cars.com (2013)
Mazda Mazda2 Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Kia Rio gets excellent fuel economy and it’s available with features you can’t get on the Mazda2, like a rearview camera and an infotainment system. Test drivers like the Rio’s six-speed automatic transmission, saying it shifts smoothly and is quick to downshift when more power is needed.
The Ford Fiesta receives praise from reviewers for its upscale cabin and comfortable seats that offer ample head- and legroom. It also has athletic handling, they say, which makes it one of the most fun-to-drive subcompact cars.
Details: 2014 Mazda2
The 2014 Mazda2 seats five and is available in Sport and Touring trims. A 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission are standard and a four-speed automatic transmission is optional. The Mazda2 hasn’t changed much since its introduction in the 2011 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda2
- View the best prices for the 2014 Mazda Mazda2
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Mazda Mazda2
- Search used Mazda Mazda2 for sale (1,086 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings