Mazda Mazda5 Review
The 2015 Mazda Mazda5 ranks 5 out of 7 Minivans. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda Mazda5, as well as reliability and safety data.
While the 2015 Mazda5 can’t match the cargo capacity of its rivals, it gets great fuel economy, and critics love its agile handling.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Mazda5 is our 2015 Best Minivan SUV for the Money.
Auto writers say the 2015 Mazda5’s four-cylinder engine provides sufficient power for city driving, but feels slow when it’s climbing hills or fully loaded with passengers and cargo. The 2015 Mazda5 gets an EPA-estimated 21/28 mpg city/highway, which is very good for the class. Test drivers say the Mazda5 has surprisingly sharp handling, especially for a minivan, and they appreciate its responsive steering system. The Mazda5 also has a tight turning radius, critics say, which makes it easier to maneuver in small spaces. Reviewers note that the Mazda5 has a firmer ride than other minivans, though they don’t think it’s uncomfortable.
The 2015 Mazda5 has a simple, modern cabin design, according to automotive journalists, though some complain that the plastic trim pieces in the Mazda5’s interior seem a little low-rent. While the Mazda5’s cargo area is small for the class, critics appreciate the wide variety of storage cubbies in the cabin. Test drivers note that the front seats are comfortable, though some think they could use a little more legroom. They say the second-row seats offer plenty of head- and legroom, but the third row is only large enough for children. Standard features in the six-seat 2015 Mazda5 include a six-speaker audio system, an auxiliary audio input, a USB port and automatic climate control. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, satellite radio, Bluetooth, a moonroof and rear parking sensors. The Mazda5 has fewer available features than most minivans, which reviewers note could hurt its appeal among some buyers. Still, many critics appreciate the Mazda5’s simple design and easy-to-use interior controls.
- "Unlike many modern full-size people haulers, the compact Mazda5 lives up to its minivan billing with compact dimensions, a versatile interior and nimble driving dynamics." -- Left Lane News
- "The sporty 2015 Mazda 5 is a good option for small families who don't need all the space and amenities of a full-size minivan but still want three rows of seating." -- Edmunds
- "If the idea of a minivan appeals to you, but you don't need the added bulk in your life, then the 2015 Mazda5 may just be the ticket." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Based on the Mazda 3 architecture, the 5 is a practical, comfortable, well-appointed, and fuel-efficient minivan—as well as being sporty and fun to drive. It might not be large enough for large families, and the sliding doors will likely turn off SUV fans, but the 5 brings mini back to minivans." -- Car and Driver (2012)
Other Minivans to Consider
The Dodge Grand Caravan has almost the same starting price as the Mazda5, and reviewers note that its standard V6 engine is quite powerful. The Grand Caravan also has a much larger cargo area than the Mazda5, and auto writers appreciate its optional Stow n’ Go second- and third-row seats, which fold flat into the floor to expand the cargo area.
The completely redesigned Kia Sedona can seat eight and it has a lot more cargo space than the Mazda5. Critics love the Sedona’s attractive, upscale cabin design, and it’s available with more standard features than the Mazda5, including navigation and blind spot monitoring.
Details: 2015 Mazda Mazda5
The 2015 Mazda5 seats six and comes in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trims. It has a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a five-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. The Mazda5 hasn’t changed much since its last redesign for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda5
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mazda Mazda5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mazda Mazda5
- Search used Mazda Mazda5 for sale (2,052 listings)
- See Minivans rankings