Mazda Mazda5 Interior
Most test drivers are pleased with the 2015 Mazda5’s simple, contemporary interior design, though some note that certain hard plastic trim pieces have uneven edges. The Mazda5 has a small cargo area and less seating capacity than its rivals. The Mazda5 doesn’t offer as many features as its rivals, though many reviewers appreciate its simplicity.
- "It may not be fancy inside, but the 2015 Mazda5 gets the job done." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Up front, the dash layout looks sleek, simple and modern, with the exception of an abundance of audio control buttons." -- Edmunds
- "For the most part, the interior works brilliantly." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "Most jarring inside: hard plastic trim and some rough edges. Those are disappointments." -- USA Today (2012)
The 2015 Mazda5 seats six people in three rows. In comparison, most minivans seat seven or eight. The Mazda5 comes standard with cloth upholstery, and leather upholstery and heated front seats are available. Auto writers say the Mazda5’s front seats are fairly comfortable, but tall adults could use more legroom. They agree that the second-row seats offer generous head- and legroom, but note that the third-row seats are very small and only suitable for children.
- "Unlike larger vans, there's seating for six instead of the normal seven- or eight-passenger capacity, and the tiny 50/50 split-folding third row is essentially a kids-only space. Still, the second-row captain's chairs, which recline and slide rearward for extra legroom, are quite accommodating." -- Left Lane News
- "There's room for six passengers, and while the third row is kids-only, the second row offers plenty of leg- and headroom." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The front seats provide respectable comfort, but longer-legged adults will definitely wish for more rearward seat travel." -- Edmunds
Standard features in the 2015 Mazda5 include automatic climate control, a six-speaker audio system, an auxiliary audio input and a USB port. Available features include Bluetooth, satellite radio, a moonroof and rear parking sensors.
Most of the Mazda5’s interior controls are well-marked and easy to use, according to critics. While the Mazda5 doesn’t offer as many features as some minivans, many test drivers find its simplicity appealing.
- "… controls are easy to reach and use, which helps the 5 feel much more like a regular car from behind the wheel." -- Edmunds
- "Most switchgear is simple and handy with clear markings." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The down-market interior trim, plus Mazda's unwillingness to push up the price with optional features such as power sliding side doors and power tailgate, make the new 5 a non-starter among the well-heeled ‘move-down’ crowd." -- USA Today (2012)
- "I am a confirmed minimalist, and the 5 is a minimalist’s minivan. There are only six cup holders -- the Odyssey has 15! -- and no flat-screen monitors in the headrests." -- The New York Times (2012)
The 2015 Mazda5 has a lot less cargo space than most minivans, with 44.4 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the third-row seats folded. The Honda Odyssey has 93.1 cubic feet of cargo space with its third-row seats folded, and the Toyota Sienna has 87.1. Reviewers write that the Mazda5’s cargo area is narrower than other minivans’, though they point out that the cabin offers lots of useful storage compartments, and the Mazda5’s large doors and low floor make loading items easy.
- "There are storage areas everywhere, like the clever compartments hidden under the 2nd-row seat cushions. If you're hauling a bigger load, the second and third rows fold flat, and the low floor makes it easy to load large objects without a high liftover." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The only real disadvantage to the 5 compared to larger minivans is its narrower cabin, which sometimes requires you to load bulkier items like strollers at an angle." -- Edmunds
- "Large side and rear openings ease loading. There is little more than grocery-bag space behind the 3rd row, but all rear seats fold to make a nearly flat floor and can be arranged for a wide variety of passenger or cargo loads." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda5
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mazda Mazda5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mazda Mazda5
- Search used Mazda Mazda5 for sale (2,052 listings)
- See Minivans rankings