2012 Mazda Mazda6 Review
Reviewers believe the 2012 Mazda6 is one of the best-handling and most fun-to-drive affordable midsize cars.
The 2012 Mazda6 is great for midsize car shoppers who want some excitement in their daily commute. Reviewers report that the Mazda6 offers lively handling, precise steering and good brakes. They also love that it has a six-speed manual transmission on the base model, which is uncommon among midsize sedans.
Like many midsize cars, reviewers say that since the base four-cylinder engine is slightly underpowered, the optional V6 is the preferred choice. Overall though, they still think that either engine will satisfy most midsize car shoppers. The Mazda6’s fuel economy is one of its weakest, which gets fewer miles per gallon than most cars in the class. Cars like the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima offer an optional turbocharged four-cylinder engine that makes more horsepower than the Mazda6’s V6 engine while getting better fuel economy.
The interior of the Mazda6 is another one of its strong suits. Reviewers say the interior is spacious and comfortable, even for tall adults. The massive trunk is also well-liked by test drivers for its capacity and the ease of loading cargo.
If you’re looking for a sporty midsize sedan that’s practical and fun to drive, the 2012 Mazda6 should be on your list.
Other Cars to Consider
If you need the space of a midsize sedan, but want something that looks less frumpy than most midsize cars, the Kia Optima is a good option. Reviewers like its stylish exterior and standard interior tech features, like Bluetooth and USB iPod integration. These features are not standard on the Mazda6. The Optima also gets better fuel economy than the Mazda6.
Another car to consider is the Ford Fusion. Like the Mazda6, test drivers like the Fusion’s crisp handling and powerful V6 option. The Fusion also has an edge over the Mazda6 with its optional all-wheel drive, which is not available on the Mazda6.
Mazda6: The Details
The 2012 Mazda6 is available in six trim levels with two different engines and three transmissions. A four-cylinder and V6 engine are both available, as well as a six-speed manual, five-speed automatic and six-speed automatic transmission. The manual is only available on the base model, while the six-speed auto only comes on trims with a V6 engine. The Mazda6 carries over into 2012 with no significant changes, so this review uses some test driver comments from prior reviews. See the full list of 2012 Mazda6 specs.
- "Mazda 6 excels for its style, passenger space, and fun-to-drive character." -- Consumer Guide
- "Practical doesn't have to be another word for boring - the 2012 Mazda 6 is proof. This good-looking hauler is one of the more fun-loving choices in the family sedan segment, with nimble handling that adds enjoyment to mundane commutes. Add its affordable price and comfortable cabin to the mix and you get a car that covers all the bases." -- Edmunds
- "If you've been impressed by Mazda's previous lineup - including its volume leader, the Mazda3 - the Mazda6 is an excellent way for a growing family to move up." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Mazda's midsize front-wheel-drive sedan benefits from a sportier nature than some of its competitors." -- Cars.com
- "Those who fully enjoy and appreciate the driving experience may find the Mazda6 the most compelling. Competitive pricing may seal the deal." -- New Car Test Drive
- "If you love driving and need a family sedan, take a look at the 6. Lively steering and good body control are its hallmarks." -- Car and Driver
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda6
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mazda Mazda6 for sale (4,347 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mazda Mazda6
- View Mazda Mazda6 Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings