Mazda Mazda6 Review
The 2016 Mazda Mazda6 ranks 7 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mazda Mazda6, as well as reliability and safety data.
The refreshed 2016 Mazda6 remains one of the best-handling, most fuel-efficient cars in its class, critics say, though it has a firmer, noisier ride than many rivals.
Though it lacks the six-cylinder and turbocharged engine options of its rivals, reviewers think the 2016 Mazda6 has adequate power for city and highway driving with its standard four-cylinder engine. Auto writers add that the Mazda6's standard manual transmission is fun to use and its optional automatic delivers quick gear changes. The 2016 Mazda6 gets an EPA-estimated 26/38 mpg city/highway, which is very good for the class. Reviewers note that the Mazda6's agile handling and responsive steering and brakes make it more entertaining to drive than most midsize cars, though they point out that it also has a firmer ride than most rivals.
The Mazda6 receives extensive updates to its dashboard and center console for 2016. According to critics, the updated styling is tasteful, and the 2016 Mazda6's materials and build quality remain impressive for the class. Critics also appreciate some of the improvements made to the infotainment system, including the easier-to-reach volume control, though some note that the optional navigation system can still be difficult to use. Auto writers say the rear seats are very spacious, though small rear windows can make them feel a bit confining. Test drivers also note that the Mazda6's cabin is a bit noisier than its competitors', despite extra sound deadening for 2016. Standard features in the base Mazda6 with the manual transmission include push-button start, a USB port and Bluetooth. Base trims with the automatic transmission get an upgraded infotainment system with a 7-inch touch screen, a rearview camera and Pandora Internet radio compatibility. Available features include leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, heated front seats, navigation, a moonroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, adaptive cruise control, a Bose audio system, satellite radio, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning and forward collision warning with automatic braking.
- "If you're looking for a midsize sedan that's fun to drive, fuel-efficient and stylish, it's hard to beat the Mazda6." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you consider midsize four-door sedans to be simply family cars, you're probably not a Mazda6 buyer. If you see no reason why usefulness and family-friendliness need to conflict with good driving behavior, you're a candidate." -- USA Today
- "With its roomy cabin, agile handling and impressive fuel economy, the 2016 Mazda 6 is a fine choice for a midsize sedan, especially if you want one with some personality." -- Edmunds
- "Although priced on par with other popular family sedans, Mazda has infused its 5-passenger sedan with a sleek and sophisticated body, outstanding driving dynamics and an interior that is technologically savvy without being overly complicated." -- AutoTrader (2015)
Mazda Mazda6 Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers agree that the Ford Fusion has sporty handling and a potent lineup of available turbocharged engines. The Fusion's attractive cabin, upscale materials and large trunk also appeal to critics.
Like the Mazda6, the Nissan Altima has one of the highest fuel economy ratings in the class. Test drivers say the Altima's responsive cornering, simple infotainment controls and exceptionally comfortable front seats make it a pleasure to drive.
Details: 2016 Mazda Mazda6
The 2016 Mazda6 is a five-seat midsize sedan that's available in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trims. It comes standard with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, front-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic is available. The Mazda6 receives a minor refresh for the 2016 model year, but it hasn't seen any major updates since its last full redesign in the 2014 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014, 2015 and 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Mazda Mazda6
- View the best prices for the 2016 Mazda Mazda6
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Mazda Mazda6
- Search used Mazda Mazda6 for sale (4,901 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings