Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Interior
The 2009 Mercedes Benz CLS competes with some of the finest cabins in the world. With rich leather and warm wood trim, it fits in well with seven-figure super-luxury sedans. Rear-seat room, however, is tight.
- "Cabin impresses with elegant leather upholstery, expanses of wood trim, numerous padded surfaces, and top-notch workmanship." -- Consumer Guide
- "The seats and creature comforts are geared to carry just four passengers in supreme elegance." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Warm and inviting" with a "sweeping dashboard highlighted by natural-grain leather accented with burled walnut trim." -- Road and Track
- "Richly appointed in leather and wood." -- Forbes
Reviewers say the front seats of the 2009 CLS are a marvel of comfort. Constructed of separate air chambers, the seats can change shape in response to the car's movements, cradling driver and passenger in place. The rear seats of the CLS are not as luxurious - headroom, in particular, is smaller than what is normally found in a large luxury car.
- "The driver's seat is a regal throne."-- Motor Trend
- "Seats are upholstered in soft leather, offering excellent lateral hold and are fully adjustable in all directions." -- Road and Track
- "Big front bucket seats are supportive and controls are within easy reach." -- MSN
- In the rear, "Headroom is tight for those over about 5-ft-9. Legroom gets tight for adults if front seats are pushed far back. Individual seats are supportive but set low, which, combined with narrow door bottoms, hampers entry and exit." -- Consumer Guide
- "Unless you're chauffeuring the type of back-seat passengers who regularly ask fellow motorists for Grey Poupon, they should be pleased with their accommodations." -- Automobile Magazine
- Rear seats are "well shaped and even full-size occupants have adequate space for knees. But 6-footers are a light press fit between the seat cushion and headliner." -- Edmunds
The CLS' interior is lush and well-built, featuring a sharp aesthetic design. Standard four-zone climate control is an unusual touch - even most cars at this price point offer it only as an option. Cabin electronics are advanced, but many reviewers say the COMAND driver interface, which controls all climate and entertainment functions through a single device, can be confusing.
- "A sportier three-spoke steering wheel - like the one we recently saw on the 2009 SLK-class - sits in front of an updated gauge cluster." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Typical Mercedes design layout, with a few odd control icons and a steering-column cruise-control stalk that can be confused with the turn-signal lever below. Dashboard screen handles many audio and navigation controls, often requiring multiple steps for basic functions. Standard 4-zone climate control has separate front- and rear-seat controls." -- Consumer Guide
- "Take a closer look at the wood trim on the dash. It follows the curvature of the instrument panel, suggesting luxury and elegance." -- Road and Track
- "Large expanses of unique matte burl walnut trim and impeccable dash stitching combine with sculpted perforated seats to convey a purpose that is at once both elegant and spirited." -- Kelley Blue Book.
- "The COMAND system evolves with slightly different directional buttons to navigate the menus, new buttons to go back a screen or cancel a function, and the little buttons that used to line the left and right sides of the screen to control various functions are gone. I personally miss those buttons a bit, as most things now have to be navigated to via the round directional switches. There's a bit of a learning curve, but in short order, I and my driving partner both acclimated and at no time did either of us feel the urge to plunge a fist through the screen." -- Motor Trend
The CLS class comes with 15.9 cubic feet of cargo space - considerably less than most super-luxury cars offer.
- The trunk has a "low, wide opening. The cargo area is long but rather shallow." -- MSN
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class for sale (610 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
- View Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Photos
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings