Mercedes-Benz E-Class Review
The 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class ranks 3 out of 17 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
Available in styles ranging from coupe to wagon, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class is an exceptionally comfortable luxury car with an opulent interior and a lineup of engines that are all capable of vigorous acceleration, critics say.
The base 2016 E250 BlueTEC has a turbodiesel four-cylinder engine, and test drivers report that the engine is quiet, with lively acceleration from a stop. The E250 also has one of the highest fuel economy ratings in the class at an EPA-estimated 28/42 mpg city/highway. The E-Class is available with a number of more powerful engine options ranging from the V6 in the E350 to the twin-turbocharged V8 in the E63 AMG S. The E-Class comes standard with a seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive (4Matic) is optional. Test drivers are pleased with the E-Class' smooth ride, strong brakes and composed handling, though they note that the E-Class lacks the athletic handling of rivals like the Cadillac CTS, Audi A6 and BMW 5-Series. Some reviewers write that the E-Class' steering doesn't feel precise.
Critics say the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class has a luxurious interior with sophisticated styling, first-rate materials and superb build quality. The E-Class' large rear seats add to its appeal, reviewers report. The Mercedes E-Class has a small trunk for the class. Some reviewers complain that the E-Class' standard COMAND infotainment system isn't as user-friendly or attractive as the infotainment systems in rival vehicles from Audi and BMW, but others think COMAND is easy to use. Standard features in the 2016 E-Class sedan include a sunroof, forward collision warning with automatic braking, driver drowsiness monitoring, a USB port and Bluetooth. Available features include leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, a massaging driver seat, a rearview camera, a panoramic sunroof, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, navigation, satellite radio, a Harman Kardon surround-sound audio system and a rear-seat entertainment system.
- "Although it's one of the older sedans in its class, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class continues to epitomize the modern midsize luxury car with its sophisticated technology, elegant furnishings and wide selection of engines and features." -- Edmunds
- "Mercedes-Benz' E-Class lineup combines all of the virtues typically associated with the three-pointed star brand - luxury, performance and cutting-edge technology - in an appealing midsize package." -- Left Lane News (2015)
- "If you're seeking a well-constructed luxury car heavy on safety, luxury and respectability, Mercedes-Benz's 2015 E-Class sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon have much to offer." -- Kelley Blue Book (2015)
- "If you're in the market for a cushy, classy, safe-as-milk sedan with a fine interior and the cash outlay isn't going to break the bank, the E250 is a very compelling proposition." -- AutoWeek (2014)
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Cadillac CTS sedan has agile handling and a smooth ride, critics say. They also note that its interior is whisper quiet, well-built and very stylish.
Reviewers write that the Audi A6 sedan offers a nice balance between sporty handling and a comfortable ride. Like the E-Class, the A6 has a diesel trim that gets excellent fuel economy. Some auto writers note that the A6's infotainment system is easy to use, and more attractive than the E-Class'.
Details: 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
The 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class is available as a four-seat coupe or convertible, a five-seat sedan or a seven-seat wagon. Five trims are offered: E250 BlueTEC, E350, E400, E550 and E63 AMG S. The base E250 sedan has a turbodiesel 2.1-liter four-cylinder engine, a seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive (4Matic) is optional. The E-Class hasn’t been fully redesigned since 2010, and since it sees few changes for 2016, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- View the best prices for the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz E-Class for sale (10,611 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals