Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Review
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class ranks 3 out of 9 Luxury Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is ranked:
According to auto writers, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is a top pick in the class thanks to its premium interior, strong engine lineup and impressive ride and handling.
The base 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL350 comes with a turbodiesel V6, while higher trims have more-potent engines, including a twin-turbocharged V6 and a twin-turbo V8. While reviewers agree that the twin-turbocharged engines offer incredible performance, some write that the diesel model is still the best choice overall because it combines strong acceleration and superb fuel economy. The base GL-Class earns an EPA-estimated 19/26 mpg city/highway, which is better than the fuel economy estimates of nearly every rival. Test drivers say the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class handles well and has great ride comfort. Although some think its steering is too light, most others agree that it's precise and well-weighted. A seven-speed automatic is standard, and auto writers say it makes smooth, timely shifts. Some also report that the GL-Class' brakes are strong.
Test drivers say the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has a more luxurious interior than most of its rivals, due in part to its top-notch materials. According to critics, the GL-Class' front seats are comfortable on long trips, particularly the optional massage seats, while the second- and third-row seats are spacious for children and adults. Standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera, a sunroof, Bluetooth, a USB port, forward collision alert, driver drowsiness monitoring, smartphone app integration and Mercedes' COMAND infotainment system, which controls audio and phone functions. Options include a rear-seat entertainment system, navigation, satellite radio, a Harman Kardon audio system, a Bang & Olufsen audio system, a panoramic sunroof, tri-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, parallel park assist, lane keeping assist and a surround view camera system, which uses multiple cameras to provide a 360-degree view around the vehicle. While reviewers say that the COMAND system generally works well, they note that it can take some time to learn how to navigate through menus. A few test drivers point out that the available surround view camera system significantly helps with parking maneuvers. With 93.8 cubic feet of cargo space, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has more overall cargo room than most rivals.
- "Roomy, powerful and solidly built, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is one of the very best three-row crossover SUVs you can buy." -- Edmunds
- "Just because you have the need to carry more than four passengers or tow a 7,500-pound trailer doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your standards. The full-size 2015 Mercedes GL-Class delivers workhorse-like performance in a luxury vehicle respected by valets from Manhattan to Monaco." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A gentle and luxurious giant, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is a full-size, seven-passenger crossover that impresses with a comfortable cabin and a refined ride." -- Left Lane News
- "It's hard to exaggerate the epic scale of this vehicle. The 7-seat GL has the passenger space of a minivan, the ride of an S-Class luxury sedan and the acceleration of a sports car. It has every techno-gadget in the book. There's even a completely absurd AMG version that makes 550 horsepower." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers say the Infiniti QX80 delivers quick acceleration and has a responsive and smooth-shifting transmission. They also like its nimble handling. The QX80 also has slightly more overall cargo space than the GL-Class, and reviewers like its luxurious cabin.
The Land Rover Range Rover impresses reviewers with its sharp handling on the pavement and its excellent off-roading abilities. They say its available supercharged V8 engine produces brisk acceleration from a stop. Additionally, test drivers are impressed with the Range Rover’s top-notch interior quality.
Details: 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class seats seven and has standard all-wheel drive. Four trims are available, including the GL350 with a turbodiesel V6 engine, the GL450 with a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine, the GL550 with a twin-turbo 4.7-liter V8 and the high-performance GL63 AMG with a twin-turbo, 5.5-liter V8. A seven-speed automatic transmission is standard. The GL-Class was redesigned in 2013 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz GL-Class for sale (2,862 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings