Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Review
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class ranks 2 out of 8 Luxury Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is ranked:
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class' strong driving dynamics, potent engine options and upscale cabin make it a top choice for a luxury large SUV, reviewers say.
According to test drivers, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL350's standard turbodiesel V6 engine produces impressive power and brisk acceleration. They report that upper trims equipped with more powerful engines, including a more powerful twin-turbo V6 and V8, offer more thrilling performance. However, they say base models deliver great power along with excellent fuel economy, which some think makes it the best choice in the GL-Class lineup for most buyers. The base GL-Class earns an EPA-estimated 19/26 mpg city/highway, which is better than the fuel economy estimates of nearly every rival. Test drivers say the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class handles well and has great ride comfort. Although some think its steering is too light, most others agree that it's precise and well-weighted. A seven-speed automatic is standard, and auto writers say it makes smooth, timely shifts. Some also report that the GL-Class' brakes are strong.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class' interior features high-quality materials, making its cabin one of the most luxurious in the class, test drivers say. Reviewers praise the GL-Class' front seats, noting that they remain comfortable for long journeys, particularly models equipped with optional massage seats. They also report that the second and third rows offer a good amount of space for both adults and children. Standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera, a sunroof, Bluetooth, a USB port, forward collision alert, driver drowsiness monitoring, smartphone app integration and Mercedes' COMAND infotainment system, which controls audio and phone functions. Options include a rear-seat entertainment system, navigation, satellite radio, a Harman Kardon audio system, a Bang & Olufsen audio system, a panoramic sunroof, tri-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, parallel park assist, lane keeping assist and a surround view camera system, which uses multiple cameras to provide a 360-degree view around the vehicle. While reviewers say that the COMAND system generally works well, they note that it can take some time to learn how to navigate through menus. A few test drivers point out that the available surround view camera system significantly helps with parking maneuvers. With 93.8 cubic feet of cargo space, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has more overall cargo room than most rivals.
- "Roomy, powerful and solidly built, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is one of the very best three-row crossover SUVs you can buy." -- Edmunds
- "Just because you have the need to carry more than four passengers or tow a 7,500-pound trailer doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your standards. The full-size 2015 Mercedes GL-Class delivers workhorse-like performance in a luxury vehicle respected by valets from Manhattan to Monaco." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A gentle and luxurious giant, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is a full-size, seven-passenger crossover that impresses with a comfortable cabin and a refined ride." -- Left Lane News
- "It's hard to exaggerate the epic scale of this vehicle. The 7-seat GL has the passenger space of a minivan, the ride of an S-Class luxury sedan and the acceleration of a sports car. It has every techno-gadget in the book. There's even a completely absurd AMG version that makes 550 horsepower." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers say the Infiniti QX80 delivers quick acceleration and has a responsive and smooth-shifting transmission. They also like its nimble handling. The QX80 also has slightly more overall cargo space than the GL-Class, and reviewers like its luxurious cabin.
The Land Rover Range Rover impresses reviewers with its sharp handling on the pavement and its excellent off-roading abilities. They say its available supercharged V8 engine produces brisk acceleration from a stop. Additionally, test drivers are impressed with the Range Rover’s top-notch interior quality.
Details: 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class seats seven and has standard all-wheel drive. Four trims are available, including the GL350 with a turbodiesel V6 engine, the GL450 with a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine, the GL550 with a twin-turbo 4.7-liter V8 and the high-performance GL63 AMG with a twin-turbo, 5.5-liter V8. A seven-speed automatic transmission is standard. The GL-Class was redesigned in 2013 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz GL-Class for sale (2,862 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings