2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Review
The GL-Class ranks highly on our list because it is a high-performing luxury vehicle that can seat seven while providing one of the best full-size SUV driving experiences available.
The 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class earns high marks for both style and its sedan-like driving experience, as well as a high ranking in luxury large SUVs. For 2008, a new GL550 model with a 382-horsepower V8 engine is added to the line. The 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class won several awards, including Motor Trend's "SUV of the Year," and Car and Driver's "Best Luxury Sport Utility." Despite a smaller engine than many competitors, the base model still earns excellent reviews, with nearly all noting that it drives more like a luxury sedan than a bulky SUV. Another plus is the GL's excellent fuel economy, which is among the best in this class.
- "Fast and stylish and screams exclusivity." -- Car and Driver
- "As slick as a Zamboni-treated ice rink. The ride is virtually bump-free on anything but the craggiest surfaces, and the interior is quiet enough so you can hear the subtleties of a concerto on the audio system." --The
- "Following two intense weeks with the GL, it was all sparklers and Roman candles for the biggest Benz ever offered in the United States." --Motor Trend
- "Big also describes the GL450 prices, starting at $54,675. Dig into the healthy list of options, and you can quickly be pushing the $70,000 mark." --Motor Week
- "Mercedes charges extra for the really good stuff. Adding some $13,000 in options brought my GL to $68,075, in line with an Escalade or a Lexus LX 470 but a good $20,000 less than a comparable Range Rover."-- The New York Times