Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Interior
The 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is praised by reviewers for its attractive cabin, which they say is built with premium materials, including soft leather surfaces and classy wood and metal trim. Test drivers say the GL-Class' cabin is very quiet, and does a nice job of isolating occupants from unwanted road noise and imperfections.
- "Fit and finish of the interior is impeccable, with soft-touch surfaces and lots of well-done wood and metal trim." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Materials quality is excellent in the GL's cabin, with supple, tight-fitting panels everywhere you look." -- Edmunds
- "Inside, silver chrome controls, generous amounts of wood trim and soft leather upholstery with contrasting stitching help create an air of high luxury worthy of the S-Class." -- Left Lane News
- "High-quality materials, including standard real-wood trim, give the cabin a premium feel." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The refinement and isolation puts most other large SUVs and a good number of sedans to shame." -- Motor Trend (2013)
The Mercedes-Benz GL-Class seats seven people in three rows. Leatherette upholstery and heated and power-adjustable front seats are standard. Seating options include leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, 14-way power-adjustable front seats, massaging front seats and heated outboard seats in the middle row. Test drivers say that the front seats are comfortable and supportive for long drives, especially models equipped with the optional massaging seats. However, rearward visibility could be better, according to most test drivers. They mention that the second-row seats offer ample legroom, and report that the third row is best left to kids for longer trips.
- "The seats themselves are terrific for long hauls, and outward vision is good except to the rear, so the blind-spot monitoring system is a wise choice." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As for the people in front, they're treated to comfortable, supportive seats that only get better with the available multicontour design and massage functions." -- Edmunds
- "Smaller adults fit in the third row, but only kids will be happy there on a long trip. Only the right-side section of the 2nd-row bench seat slides forward for 3rd-row access, though it does create a large passageway." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Second row passengers are treated to decent stretch-out room, although we found the seatbacks to be a little firm." -- Left Lane News (2013)
Standard features on the GL350 include dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a USB port, HD Radio and Mercedes' COMAND system, which controls audio and phone functions. Major options include a rear-seat entertainment system, navigation, satellite radio, a 13-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, tri-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, lane keeping assist and a surround view camera system, which uses multiple cameras to provide views all around the vehicle to make low-speed maneuvering and parking easier.
Some test drivers say that COMAND is very easy to acclimate to and makes it easy to sift through audio and navigation functions. Others aren't as impressed, and occasionally find it difficult to make stereo adjustments. Reviewers like the optional surround view camera system for aiding visibility while maneuvering in tight spaces.
- "It can seem a little intimidating at first, but COMAND is one of the best interfaces on the market, enabling both simple and more complex tasks to be executed with ease." -- Edmunds
- "Gauges are large and easy to read. Most controls are logically placed, but some have cryptic markings and the navigation system absorbs most audio functions, complicating their use." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Even the Comand multimedia system with its knob controller, which I thought would be intimidating, was intuitive to use. It easily allows you to centrally operate navigation, audio and Bluetooth functions." -- Mother Proof (2013)
- "The available 360-degree view parking assistant package is impressive tech that will enable GL drivers to better navigate the giant family hauler in even the smallest of organic grocery store parking lots." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "The menus are not arranged for ease of operation while in motion, but they are complete and offer the ability to adjust just about everything in the cabin - from the length of the driver's seat-bottom cushion to the type of air distribution, direct or diffuse. Thankfully, climate controls are given their own clear, easy-to-use hard buttons." -- Cars.com (2013)
The Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has 16 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 49.4 cubic feet with the third row folded and up to 93.8 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front row. The GL-Class' maximum cargo space is fairly good for the class, but SUVs like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator have more space overall. Reviewers note that while there is only space for a few bags of groceries behind the third row, a low load floor and flat-folding rear seats make it easy to load and unload cargo. Test drivers are also pleased with the number of cupholders and other small-item storage areas in the cabin.
- "Even with all three rows occupied, there are still 16 cubic feet of cargo space left behind the third row, which is about the size of a midsize sedan's trunk. With both the second- and third-row seats lowered, the GL can carry up to 93.8 cubic feet of cargo, a fairly generous amount for this segment." -- Edmunds
- "Cargo space behind the third row is somewhat limited, but folding the second and third rows down opens up the cargo capacity to a generous 93.8 cubic feet." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Just a few grocery bags fit behind the 3rd row. A low floor height and 2nd- and 3rd-row seat backs that fold flush with the deck ease loading and unloading." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "There are six cupholders and two bottleholders as well as plenty of clever little storage cubbies throughout the cabin." -- Mother Proof (2013)
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- View the best prices for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz GL-Class for sale (5,395 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings