Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Interior
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has attractive, high-quality interior materials, making its cabin one of the most luxurious in the class, reviewers say. Test drivers report the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class' front seats are exceptionally comfortable and its rear rows have good room for adults and children. Test drivers say that although they like the COMAND infotainment system overall, it can take some practice to master all of the functions. The GL-Class has a good amount of overall cargo room, but critics note that when the third row is in use, cargo space is limited.
- "Cabin quality is also second to none in the segment." -- Edmunds
- "Fit and finish of the interior is impeccable, with soft-touch surfaces and lots of well-done wood and metal trim." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Inside, silver chrome controls, generous amounts of wood trim and soft leather upholstery with contrasting stitching help create an air of high luxury worthy of the S-Class." -- Left Lane News
- "The refinement and isolation puts most other large SUVs and a good number of sedans to shame." -- Motor Trend (2013)
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class seats seven in three rows. Leatherette upholstery and heated and power-adjustable front seats are standard. Leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, 14-way power-adjustable front seats, power-folding second row seats, massaging front seats, heated second-row outboard seats and soft-close doors are available.
According to automotive writers, the GL-Class' front seats are supportive and comfortable for long trips, particularly models equipped with massaging seats. Test drivers say there's also good room for both adults and kids in the second and third rows.
- "There's space for seven adults across three rows of seats, with even the rearmost row being a snap to access thanks to power easy-entry second-row seats." -- Left Lane News
- "The ride is comfortable and stable, complemented by a silent cabin and some of the most comfortable seats in any luxury SUV. From the driver's seat forward, the big GL feels as if it were just another excellent Mercedes sedan, only revealing its true self after a glance in the rearview mirror exposes the second and third rows of seating." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There's more to the interior than just looking good, though, starting with roomy adult-size accommodations in all three rows. The standard front seats are agreeable enough, but the optional 'multicontour' seats with heating, ventilation and a massage function are the way to go for anyone who expects to spend long stints behind the steering wheel." -- Edmunds
- "Smaller adults fit in the third row, but only kids will be happy there on a long trip. Only the right-side section of the 2nd-row bench seat slides forward for 3rd-row access, though it does create a large passageway." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Standard features in the GL350 include dual-zone automatic climate control, a sunroof, a rearview camera, forward collision alert, a driver drowsiness monitor, Bluetooth, mbrace smartphone app integration, a USB port and Mercedes' COMAND system with a 7-inch screen, which controls audio and phone functions through a knob mounted on the center console. Options include a rear-seat entertainment system, navigation, satellite radio, HD Radio, a panoramic sunroof, a Bang & Olufsen audio system, a Harman Kardon audio system, tri-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, parallel park assist, lane keeping assist and a surround view camera system, which uses multiple cameras to provide a 360-degree view around the vehicle.
Reviewers agree that, overall, the COMAND system works well, but a few mention that operating the menu can take some getting used to. Some test drivers note the convenient optional surround view camera system, which they say aids with maneuvering in tight areas and parking spaces.
- "Mercedes' trademark COMAND system uses a large console-mounted knob to access a long list of settings and controls via menus on the dash-mounted display. It takes a while to completely get the hang of, but it's ultimately an elegant way of managing all this technology without a sea of physical buttons." -- Edmunds
- "Gauges are large and easy to read. Most controls are logically placed, but some have cryptic markings and the navigation system absorbs most audio functions, complicating their use." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The available 360-degree view parking assistant package is impressive tech that will enable GL drivers to better navigate the giant family hauler in even the smallest of organic grocery store parking lots." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "The menus are not arranged for ease of operation while in motion, but they are complete and offer the ability to adjust just about everything in the cabin - from the length of the driver's seat-bottom cushion to the type of air distribution, direct or diffuse. Thankfully, climate controls are given their own clear, easy-to-use hard buttons." -- Cars.com (2013)
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class has 16 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 49.4 cubic feet behind the second row and up to 93.8 cubic feet of room behind the front row. Although that’s a good amount of overall space for the class, critics note that there’s little cargo space when the third row is upright.
- “When it comes to hauling freight in addition to (or instead of) people, the GL-Class offers a healthy 16 cubic feet of space behind the third-row seats, a number similar to that offered by the trunk of your average midsize sedan. Folding down both sections of the 50/50-split third row gets you 49.4 cubic feet, while dropping both the second and third rows creates a cargo hold with 93.8 cubic feet of space that's comparable to those in other large SUVs." -- Edmunds
- "Cargo space behind the third row is somewhat limited, but folding the second and third rows down opens up the cargo capacity to a generous 93.8 cubic feet." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Just a few grocery bags fit behind the 3rd row. A low floor height and 2nd- and 3rd-row seat backs that fold flush with the deck ease loading and unloading." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz GL-Class for sale (2,862 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings