Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Review
The 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class ranks 9 out of 10 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 12 published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class is ranked:
Though test drivers agree that the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK is powerful, they say its lack of passenger and cargo space make it impractical compared with other compact SUVs.
The base 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK has a standard 302-horsepower, V6 engine, a seven-speed automatic transmission and stop/start technology, which idles the engine when the GLK stops to conserve fuel. Overall, test drivers like the V6 engine’s power and say it’s evident as soon as they press the accelerator. Some reviewers think the start/stop system is unrefined and others say the transmission is slow to downshift. A 190-horsepower, four-cylinder diesel engine will be available in early 2013, but no reviewer has tested it yet and fuel economy ratings aren’t available yet. All-wheel drive is optional with either engine. According to the EPA, the GLK averages 19/25 mpg city/highway without all-wheel drive and 19/24 mpg with all-wheel drive. Though several car reviewers say the GLK’s rivals are sportier, they also say that the GLK has a car-like ride.
The 2013 GLK meets reviewer expectations with a cabin that’s both well-made and stylish. The base model lacks standard features, such as an iPod interface and leather seats, that are standard on many competitors. Still, some reviewers think the faux leather seats are nice, and say it’s hard to tell that the seats aren’t covered in real leather. One thing many auto writers complain about is the GLK’s lack of interior space. They find that the front-row seats are spacious, comfortable and offer outstanding visibility, but think the second-row seats are tight for a compact SUV. Reviewers are also disappointed that the GLK has less cargo space than many of its rivals.
- "It's a comfortable vehicle with classy styling and a considerably upgraded interior." -- AutoWeek
- "Mercedes-Benz offers a suite of vehicles that are comfortable, capable, refined ... and fussy, and the 2013 GLK-Class is no exception." -- Cars.com
- "Neither the roomiest nor the cheapest, the 2013 Mercedes GLK350 is nonetheless a sophisticated and impressively built compact SUV that should satisfy discerning luxury buyers." -- Edmunds
- "The GLK's 2013 freshening brings some improvements and new safety features that make it a stronger contender in this class. However, one problem remains: Base prices are rather high, and many expected features are extra-cost items that can quickly inflate the bottom line. Still, this luxury 4-door wagon should appeal to buyers seeking brand prestige in a smaller SUV." -- Consumer Guide
Other SUVs to Consider
The Audi Q5 doesn’t have a standard V6 engine, but one is optional. Even if you choose the Q5’s base turbocharged, four-cylinder engine, reviewers say you will be pleased with the Q5’s acceleration and fuel economy ratings. The Q5 comes with standard leather seats, as opposed to the GLK’s standard faux leather upholstery. It also has more cargo room and more comfortable rear seats than the GLK, according to reviewers.
To save a few thousand dollars, check out the Acura RDX. Though the RDX can’t match the GLK’s performance, its spacious cabin and roomy cargo area make it more practical. The RDX has a lot of standard features, which includes a moonroof, and like the Q5, test drivers report that it has plenty of cargo space and roomy front and rear seats.
Details: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
The 2013 Mercedes GLK seats five and comes with standard rear-wheel drive. Two trims are available: GLK350 and GLK250 BlueTEC, which is new for 2013. The GLK350 has a 3.5-liter V6 engine, while the GLK250 comes with a turbocharged 2.1-liter diesel engine. Both models have a seven-speed automatic transmission, and are available with all-wheel drive. Other changes for 2013 include a more powerful base engine in the GLK350, updated interior styling and a revised list of standard and optional features.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class for sale (1,031 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
- See what others paid for the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
- View Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Photos
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings