Mercedes-Benz M-Class Review
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ranks 8 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz M-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class is ranked:
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class doesn't match its competitors' great handling and nimbleness, but its cabin is exquisite and its ride smooth.
A V6 engine powers the base 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class and has reasonable power, critics say. They find the optional diesel engine has abundant power and models with the twin-turbocharged V6 provide swift acceleration. The available high-performance AMG variant has a twin-turbocharged V8 that test drivers say makes the M-Class exceptionally fast. A seven-speed automatic transmission is standard, as is rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional on the base trim and standard on all other trims. A base 2015 M-Class gets an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class. With the diesel engine, fuel economy is 22/29 mpg, which is very good for a luxury midsize SUV. Most critics write that the M-Class’ handling isn’t as athletic as that of many rivals, such as the BMW X5. Still, they say the M-Class feels composed through turns and rides comfortably over bumps.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class' interior is solidly constructed and richly outfitted with soft-touch materials, critics say. They find the front seats supportive and the rear seats very roomy. Test drivers say the overall cargo room is excellent and rearward visibility is good. The 2015 M-Class comes standard with Bluetooth, HD Radio, a USB port, dual-zone automatic climate control and Mercedes’ COMAND infotainment system with a 7-inch display screen. Options include a Harman Kardon or Bang & Olufsen audio system, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, navigation, a rearview camera and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system. Most test drivers say that it is easy to control various infotainment functions using COMAND.
- "Whether it's the fuel-sipping ML250 BlueTEC diesel, the fire-breathing ML63 AMG, or any of the ones in between, the Mercedes M-Class offers up a combination of luxurious appointments, a quiet and comfortable ride, and real-world capability that's tough to find elsewhere." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Mercedes-Benz M-Class, now in its third generation, is a mid-size SUV that counts the BMW X5, Lexus RS350 and Cadillac SRX as some of its key competitors. Heavy and quiet as a bank vault, it offers a high level of luxury and offers buyers V6, V8 and turbodiesel engine options." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class may not be a standout among its rivals in any single category, but its supremely comfortable cabin and wide variety of engines and packages gives it broad appeal." -- Edmunds
Mercedes-Benz M-Class Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers agree that the Porsche Cayenne has very athletic handling and communicative steering. The Cayenne Diesel returns good fuel economy for the class, and reviewers like the Cayenne’s high-quality cabin construction.
The BMW X5’s base engine has ample power and delivers swift acceleration, reviewers say. Test drivers report that the X5 has nimble handling and a comfortable ride, and they say its iDrive infotainment system is user-friendly.
Details: 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class seats five and is available in four trims. The base ML350 has a 3.5-liter V6. The ML250 BlueTec has a twin-turbocharged 2.1-liter four-cylinder diesel engine. The ML400 has a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 and the performance-oriented ML63 AMG has a twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V8. The ML350 has standard rear-wheel drive and optional all-wheel drive. All other trims come standard with all-wheel drive. A seven-speed automatic transmission is standard. The M-Class diesel model gets a new engine for 2015, and the mid-level ML400 replaces the 2014’s V8-powered ML550. Aside from those updates, the M-Class is largely unchanged since it was redesigned in the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz M-Class for sale (4,863 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals