2011 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Hybrid Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINERecall Date: 12/03/2012
- Summary: Mercedes-Benz is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 S400, S550, S550 4Matic, S63 AMG, C300, C300 4Matic, E350, GLK350, GLK350 4Matic, CL550 4Matic, and CL63 AMG vehicles manufactured from April 18, 2011, through July 12, 2011. Due to an irregularity stemming from the molding process of the fuel filter flange, the fuel filter flange may crack when operated in high temperatures.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,800
- Consequence: If the fuel filter flange cracks, it will leak fuel which may lead to a fire if anexternal ignition source in present.
- Remedy: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel filter, free of charge. The recall campaign is expected to begin in January 2013. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz at 1-800-367-6372.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V557000
FUEL SYSTEM, DIESELRecall Date: 09/30/2011
- Summary: MERCEDES-BENZ USA (MBUSA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 VEHICLES INCLUDING E-CLASS (212 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 2010 THROUGH FEBRUARY 2011, R-CLASS (251 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 2010 THROUGH APRIL 2011, ML-CLASS (W164 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 2010 THROUGH MARCH 2011, GL-CLASS (X164 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM MARCH 2010 THROUGH MARCH 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2012 S-CLASS (221 PLATFORM) VEHICLES. THE DIESEL FUEL FILTER MAY LEAK FROM THE AREA AROUND THE HEATING COMPONENT.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,872
- Consequence: DIESEL FUEL MAY BE DEPOSITED ONTO THE HIGHWAY AND CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
- Remedy: MBUSA WILL CONTACT OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE DIESEL FUEL FILTER IF NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ USA AT 1-800-367-6372.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 11V496000
There is no reliability data available for this vehicle.
A four-year/50,000-mile limited warranty comes with every new 2011 Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid. The automaker does not provide a separate powertrain warranty; although buyers may opt to purchase an extended limited warranty that covers the S400 for up to three years after the original factory warranty expires. Additionally, Mercedes provides roadside assistance as long as your S400 is under warranty, or if your vehicle is regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership.
Many automakers offer an additional warranty on hybrid drivetrain components. For example, Lexus covers the hybrid components of the LS 600h for eight years or 100,000 miles. Mercedes, however, does not provide separate hybrid component coverage.
- "To give you an idea how pampered this battery is, when we asked how long it'll endure before replacement, Mercedes' engineers responded, ‘It'll last as long as the car itself.’” -- Motor Trend
Warranty information last updated: 5/27/11
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz S-Class Hybrid